News:

One Minute Game Review by The Happy Friar: https://ugetube.com/@OneMinteGameReviews
Also on Rumble: https://rumble.com/c/c-1115371

idTech 4 (aka Doom 3 tech) Discord Server! https://discord.gg/9wtCGHa

Main Menu

Doom 3 World BNA Tutorial Pack

Started by The Happy Friar, September 24, 2014, 07:15:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Happy Friar

This is PDF versions of the Doom 3 Engine Mapping Basics tutorials by BNA from Doom 3 World.  Included are:
D3W Tutorial Getting started with your first map
D3W Tutorial Connecting two rooms, doors and visportals
D3W Tutorial Pipes, patches, bending them

motorsep

I think it would be better to upload stuff to Google Drive or Drop Box - if this forum gets compromised, all the attachments will be gone with the forum.

The Happy Friar

Thanks!  The hardest part is putting all the images back in to the doc file so I can export to a PDF.  If anyone else want to do do the same with other tutorials from D3W's archive, feel free.  Next step for me will be bb_matt's tutorials.

to me though, the gold from d3w was all the conversations on how to do something, like a secondary fire, etc.

The Happy Friar

Quote from: motorsep on September 24, 2014, 09:08:45 AM
I think it would be better to upload stuff to Google Drive or Drop Box - if this forum gets compromised, all the attachments will be gone with the forum.

Everything I post will be on moddb.com too, but put anywhere you want.  Really, save to your hard drive/CD/DVD, put up on download sites, etc.  I like to put stuff like this on my OneDrive.

motorsep

Quote from: The Happy Friar on September 24, 2014, 09:10:59 AM
Quote from: motorsep on September 24, 2014, 09:08:45 AM

Everything I post will be on moddb.com too, but put anywhere you want.  Really, save to your hard drive/CD/DVD, put up on download sites, etc.  I like to put stuff like this on my OneDrive.

Well, it's not about me putting it where I want. It's about other people and the future. D3W has been around for a loooong time. Yet no one saved data from it. Nor d3w host bothered to save backups and have it somewhere in the cloud. So if this goes down, and your backup goes down, where the data is going to be restored from?

Plus, we are in a Cloud age, so I don't see why not to take extra step and upload it to public Google Drive instead of having individuals burning physical copies or privately storing it somewhere in the cloud.

The Happy Friar

M point was that anyone can feel free to put it on their google drive/etc.  I don't see my host, moddb.com and MS's systems all going down at once, and if they do most likely there's a bigger issue (backbone down like with Comcast, for example).

Funny story, at work last weekend they had the server and their "backups" get ruined.  turns out their backups were just a raid.  This was an "upgrade" from a daily tape backup they did for decades.  Power surge (or similar) took out both drives.  Which is ironic, same thing happened ~Juneish to another computer in the building. 

douglas quaid

I'll put it on my DL space too when you're done.
TOTAL RECALL - Singleplayer mod for Doom 3 starring Arnold Schwarzenegger
BLACKOUT - Free indie horror game based on the id Tech 4 engine

motorsep

I don't think you see my point :)

Scenario - this forum goes down, and no one knows your contact info. How can people download it? Solution - single public download location.

The Happy Friar

Quote from: motorsep on September 24, 2014, 05:33:36 PM
Scenario - this forum goes down, and no one knows your contact info. How can people download it? Solution - single public download location.

moddb.com
But I didn't but that link in this thread, just in the tutorial listing thread.

douglas quaid

Maybe we could create a D3W moddb account where everyone knows the password for it and can upload as they see fit?
TOTAL RECALL - Singleplayer mod for Doom 3 starring Arnold Schwarzenegger
BLACKOUT - Free indie horror game based on the id Tech 4 engine