Does id tech 4 is free from all problem about rivalry?

Started by muraqqi, November 15, 2014, 05:40:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muraqqi

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/173511-nvidias-gameworks-program-usurps-power-from-developers-end-users-and-amd

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/178831-balkanized-gaming-nvidia-gameworks-now-a-core-part-of-ue4-amd-counters-with-mantle-integration-in-cryengine

I have a small afraidness about this topic, the Gameworks one. I think if nVidia monopolize the market with this way, no gamers will have a good experience with their game.

I mean if this matter continue, then AMD user base will always have problem with their game. And so goes nVidia, if AMD going to make mantle exclusive for AMD.

Back in 2004, HL2 is running better in ATI and DOOM 3 is running better in nVidia. My question is does id tech 4 powered game have problems in AMD, both in gameplay or modding?

argoon

No, idtech 4 is Nvidia centric but that is because is a OpenGL engine and AMD still has some problems with OpenGL support, i'm not saying AMD cards can't run idtech 4 games, that is wrong they do run but not like Nvidia, for example on TDM (the dark Mod) AMD cards even the high end lose to a relatively slower Nvidia card, the TDM team are talking with AMD to solve that, on Direct3D engines they should be equal if not then Nvidia or AMD are pushing strings to make their cards seem better than the others. I'm a AMD user btw

muraqqi

Hmm, so it's mean that idtech 4 is nVidia centric because it's an OpenGL powered engine. But does it have a massive problem like in Assassin's creed unity when running on AMD?

argoon

I didn't played Assassin's creed Unity so i don't know, but AMD on doom 3 does not have massive problems it just has some problems like Catalyst AI messing with sikkmod post processing shaders like bloom and SSAO, disabling CAI or renaming the doom3.exe to darkatena.exe solves that, on TDM they found that a AMD R9 card was slower than an older Nvidia card but a fix for that is in the works at AMD.     

The Happy Friar

Both companies products have their pluses and minuses.  Unlike what was said in the first post. D3 ran better on the ATI cards vs the Nvidia cards at the time. 

BUT...  in general we're talking about unrealistic issues here.  most gamers don't have the latest hardware.  Most don't want everything maxed out.  Most don't want to manually tweak everything.  Throw Doom 3 on an AMD/Intel/Nvidia setup and the average person won't notice or care as long as it runs. 

As for specifics, developers develop for what people buy. Nvidia might have the PC market (which is mostly D3D anyway) but consoles are ATI/AMD.  Consoles sell more.  AMD is pretty secure in their market share for GPU's.  Nvidia just spends more saying THEY are the better option but I've never liked their products.  Heck, even back in '08 when I went to my first QCon I found out that Nvidia removed DX8 & older support from their drivers for win 98/2k/XP w/o making it well knows.  So nobody could run AvP.  Nvidia users told me it was just my Intel card until THEY tried it.  My ATI at home ran it just find.   So I don't trust any company to cater to me, I'm not paying their bills!

argoon

Quote from: The Happy Friar on November 15, 2014, 10:53:24 PM
  Unlike what was said in the first post. D3 ran better on the ATI cards vs the Nvidia cards at the time. 

Hum i'm not sure but i seem to remember that when Doom3 (also not sure if it was the alpha) came out, it run better on Nvidia and AMD add to change their drivers to make it work well (just like Rage), humus did that when he worked for ATI, that is why C-AI causes problems for other shaders but the vanilla ones, the drivers detect them and make changes to the shaders to better match the AMD hardware, that is why disabling C-AI solves the problems but makes the shaders run a bit slower. Like i said i'm an AMD user ever since the Radeon 9800 pro, now i have a crossfire HD5770 so i'm not really being biased here.

The Happy Friar

Turns out you're right, I was thinking of the 2002 D3 preview.  ATI was chosen over Nvidia because it performed better.