Mars City Security: "It's Done !", Releasedate and Current Build Testing

Started by oneofthe8devilz, August 22, 2015, 02:55:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oneofthe8devilz

Quote from: bkt on August 24, 2015, 04:43:45 PM
If you have Sikkmod related ATI issues that are at all to the ones I had with False Dawn, there are a few variables that you'll either have to hard code (remove the cvar) or set to the default (working) value in an autoexec.  You'll also need to put in a disclaimer urging ATI users to disable Catalyst AI, which completely breaks Sikkmod's rendering.

Oh yeah... we have a couple of ATI users so far where the Sikkmod shading causes nothing but trouble on their systems rendering wise...

I plan to solve that issue temporarily with an "ati_fix.cfg" file so that such ATI users could execute it to disable the relevant cvars to be remotely able to take part in the sessions ...

Executing the following cvars so far seem to fix most issues for most ATI users experiencing problems:

"r_useHDR 0"
"r_useDepthOfField 0"
"r_skipNewAmbient 1"

I got six little friends and they all run faster than you ;)

Check out our mods at
moddb or the SPS Homepage

The Happy Friar

r_skipnewambient 1 fixed my issues it looks like.  AMD HD 7850 with 15.7.1 drivers on Win 10 64-bit.

oneofthe8devilz

Quote from: The Happy Friar on August 24, 2015, 04:58:25 PM
r_skipnewambient 1 fixed my issues it looks like.  AMD HD 7850 with 15.7.1 drivers on Win 10 64-bit.

Thx for the feedback, well it does make MCS look quite crappy but at least it makes it playable...

Check out our mods at

bkt

You won't need to disable HDR or Motion Blur if you set it up correctly.  I'll have to take a look at the CFG I set up for Dawn, but once I got it fixed, all sikkmod features worked (including ambient cube lighting).

oneofthe8devilz

Quote from: bkt on August 24, 2015, 05:36:54 PM
You won't need to disable HDR or Motion Blur if you set it up correctly.  I'll have to take a look at the CFG I set up for Dawn, but once I got it fixed, all sikkmod features worked (including ambient cube lighting).

I guess I would need to have rcon access to an ATI user's PC to be able to see the issues myself and go through all settings step by step to truly be able to pinpoint the ones that cause the most issues... :anyone:

Check out our mods at

bkt

Here's the autoexec I created for False Dawn. 

seta g_enemyHealthScale "1.0"

seta g_useWeaponAwareness "0"
seta g_weaponAwarenessDistance "32"

seta g_useAmbientLight "0"
seta g_ambientLightColor "0.15 0.15 0.15"
seta g_ambientLightRadius "1024 1024 1024"

seta g_useExplosionFX "1"
seta g_explosionFXTime "2.0"
seta g_explosionFXScale "16"

seta g_showBloodSpray "0"
seta g_bloodSprayTime "3"
seta g_bloodSprayFrequency "0.5"
seta g_bloodSprayDistance "96"

seta g_useHealthRegeneration "0"
seta g_healthRegenAmt "1"
seta g_healthRegenDelay "10"
seta g_healthRegenTime "1"
seta g_healthRegenLimit "100"
seta g_healthRegenSteps "1"
seta g_healthRegenFeedback "35"

seta g_stroyentRegenAmtArmor "1"
seta g_stroyentRegenAmtHealth "1"
seta g_stroyentRegenDelay "5.0"
seta g_stroyentRegenTime ".04"
seta g_stroyentMaxPool "300"
seta g_burnawayOffset "1.0"
seta g_stroyentTakeAmtArmor "1"
seta g_stroyentTakeAmtHealth "2"

seta r_filmgrainStrength "0.5"
seta r_filmgrainScale "1.0"
seta r_filmgrainBlendMode "2"
seta r_colorGradingParm "1"
seta r_bloomGamma "1.25"
seta r_bloomScale "1.25"
seta r_bloomBlurScaleY "1"
seta r_bloomBlurScaleX "1"
seta r_bloomBlurIterations "1"
seta r_bloomBufferSize "5"
seta r_hdrGlareSize "1"
seta r_hdrGlareScale ".25"
seta r_hdrGlareStyle "10"
seta r_hdrBloomSize ".7"
seta r_hdrBloomScale ".75"
seta r_hdrBloomOffset "6"
seta r_hdrBloomThreshold "3.25"
seta r_hdrBloomWhitePoint "1"
seta r_hdrBloomMiddleGray ".18"
seta r_hdrBloomToneMapper "0"
seta r_hdrLumThresholdMin ".125"
seta r_hdrLumThresholdMax ".5"
seta r_hdrDitherSize ".25"
seta r_hdrDither "1"
seta r_hdrBlueShiftFactor "0.25"
seta r_hdrWhitePoint "1"
seta r_hdrMiddleGray ".2"
seta r_hdrAdaptationRate "30"
seta r_hdrToneMapper "0"
seta r_edgeAAFilterScale "1.0"
seta r_edgeAASampleScale "1.0"

seta r_hdrBloomHighQuality "1"

seta r_colorGradingParm "3"
seta r_colorGradingType "1"
seta r_colorGradingSharpness "1.0"
seta r_colorGradingBlend "1"
seta r_colorGradingLerp "1"
seta r_colorGradingTime "2"

seta r_motionBlurQuality "2"
seta r_motionBlurLerp "0.5"
seta r_motionBlurFactor "1"
seta r_motionBlurMaxThreshold "45"
seta r_motionBlurMinThreshold "20"
seta r_motionBlurFPSThreshold "20"
seta r_motionBlurMaskDistance "32"
seta r_motionBlurScale "0.075"
seta r_dofConditionZoom "1"
seta r_dofConditionTalk "1"
seta r_dofConditionReload "1"
seta r_dofConditionGUI "1"
seta r_dofConditionCinematic "0"
seta r_dofConditionAlways "0"
seta r_dofFocus "32"
seta r_dofFar "512"
seta r_dofNear "-64"
seta r_dofBlurQuality "3"
seta r_dofBlurScale "1"
seta r_useSSAO "0"
seta r_ssaoBlendScale "2"
seta r_ssaoBlendPower "2"
seta r_ssaoBlurEpsilon "16"
seta r_ssaoBlurQuality "2"
seta r_ssaoBlurScale "1.0"
seta r_ssaoBlurMethod "0"
seta r_ssaoAmount "1.5"
seta r_ssaoBias "0.075"
seta r_ssaoRadius "16"
seta r_ssaoMethod "3"
seta r_colorGradingType "1"
seta r_hdrFlareSize "1.5"
seta r_hdrFlareScale ".5"
seta r_hdrFlareGamma "2.2"
seta r_hdrFlare "1"
seta r_colorGradingSharpness "1"

seta r_colorGradingTime "2"
seta r_dofBlurStrength "4"

seta image_downSizeLimit "256"
seta image_ignoreHighQuality "0"
seta image_downSizeBumpLimit "256"
seta image_downSizeBump "0"
seta image_downSizeSpecular "0"
seta image_usePrecompressedTextures "1"
seta image_downSize "0"
seta g_brassTime "16"

seta com_allowConsole "1"

seta r_useSMP "0"
seta r_skipBump "0"
seta r_skipSpecular "0"
seta r_skipNewAmbient "0"
seta r_renderer "best"

seta com_machineSpec "3"
seta image_usePrecompressedTextures "1"
seta image_useNormalCompressionLoadDDSForPal "1"
seta image_useNormalCompression "0"
seta image_useAllFormats "1"
seta image_useCompression "0"
seta image_anisotropy "8"

seta s_clipVolumes "1"
seta r_orderIndexes "1"
seta r_usePortals "1"
seta r_useDepthBoundsTest "1"
seta r_useOptimizedShadows "1"
seta r_usePenumbraMapShadows "1"
seta r_useShadowCulling "1"
seta r_useInfiniteFarZ "1"
seta r_useStateCaching "1"
seta r_useVertexBuffers "1"
seta r_useCachedDynamicModels "1"
seta r_useTwoSidedStencil "1"
seta r_useTurboShadow "1"
seta r_useShadowVertexProgram "1"
seta r_useShadowProjectedCull "1"
seta r_useTripleTextureARB "1"
seta r_useConstantMaterials "1"
seta r_useLightPortalFlow "1"
seta image_preload "1"
seta cm_backFaceCull "1"

seta bse_scale "1"
seta image_roundDown "0"
seta r_vertexBufferMegs "128"

A bunch of those are mod specific, such as some of the Sikkmod cvars.  I did have a lot of trouble with ATI cards if they weren't using the correct "image_*" cvars. 

Part of the problems were that (if you're using LUT Colorgrading) unless you used Ultra (com_machineSpec 3), or forced the use of TGA textures if DDS wasn't present (seta image_useCompression "0" and seta image_usePrecompressedTextures "1").  If a DDS LUT wasn't present, the engine would take the TGA and generate a DDS, which had fewer colors and would make the scene look like mud. 

If you are having trouble with HDR/DOF/Motion Blur rendering as black boxes in one corner of the frame, then disabling Catalyst AI and using this CFG should help.  As far as I remember you must launch the game with these cvars set, otherwise it won't work. 

I did get Dawn rendering correctly on my ATI laptop, so perhaps I could test your mod's compatibility at some point soon?

Hope that helps.

bkt

Quote from: oneofthe8devilz on August 24, 2015, 05:46:03 PM

I guess I would need to have rcon access to an ATI user's PC to be able to see the issues myself and go through all settings step by step to truly be able to pinpoint the ones that cause the most issues... :anyone:
Get screenshots from them and compare to how the areas appear on your end. 

I was able to debug things this way between sikkpin and myself back in the day... mind you I had an nvidia machine handy to double check everything was an ATI problem.

NB. Don't do what I did and try to go through the cvars one at a time... given you need to restart the game to test, it's a tedious process to say the least.

The Happy Friar

shot 1 is hdr, bloom, dof & new ambient = off
shot 2 is them on

I didn't do a vid restart in between.
The biggest difference between new ambient on-off to me was that when I fired the rail gun the FX trail left was a mirror texture vs transparent FX

VGames

Motion blur was also an issue for me. I had to disable that too.
Get the latest on Perfected Doom 3 here - http://www.moddb.com/mods/perfected-doom-3-version-500

oneofthe8devilz

I think the ATI users here could best help each other by comparing their results...

I would suggest to open the file "set_quality_4_ultra.cfg" with an text-editor and go through the settings switching potential trouble causing cvars on/off while running the game with a dropped console...

Those .cfgs contain the presets for each quality setting that are being executed in the MCS's main/mp gui menu while switching through the quality settings:

set_quality_1_low.cfg
set_quality_2_medium.cfg
set_quality_3_high.cfg
set_quality_4_ultra.cfg

Also can any of the ATI users confirm that bkt's instructions allow proper rendering of the sikkmod effects in question without having to turn them off ?

I personally have tested MCS's ultra quality sikkmod shading setting on the following GPUs at my home PC systems without ANY issues:

Quote- Geforce 6800 Go (Laptop GPU)
- Geforce 8800 GT & 9800 GT
- Geforce 640 M (Laptop GPU)
- Geforce 770 GTX

Here a quick .gif comparison of the different quality settings:

(High Resolution GIF Link)

Check out our mods at

argoon

Sorry for the of topic guys,  but bkt Holly hell man! I realized now that you are the guy that made the Quake 4 mod, False Down, i love it!  I even played it not long ago (because of my AMD card i add some problems indeed, after disabling C-AI solved almost all, minus what caused the game to be a tad dark for me), but man dark or not, congrats, is a hell of a fantastic mod, loved the voice acting, even if sometimes it was hard to understand what was being said, btw will you make a follow up or not?

oneofthe8devilz i can help you test on a R9 270X and on W10 if you want, just tell me how

ps -  oneofthe8devilz forget it i've read the first post now i know how PM incoming.

oneofthe8devilz

In case during the game session testing times (20:00 - 0:00 CET) the original dedicated server address is unreachable (due to Server Hardware Migration) try the secondary backup server ip address hosted at "178.201.171.214".

Check out our mods at

argoon

hey are you receiving my PM's ?

My first feedback on the test

Was not able to connect to any online session but that's because of time differences so tested this on a Lan test, is sufficient to test the sikk mod effects.

My setup

Windows 10

AMD R9 270X OC 2GB

8GB of RAM

Didn't captured any screenshot will do that tomorrow

Game running on a external drive so it can have a impact on performance.

Everything on except AA and Vsync

This was just a quick test of 5 minutes running around testing guns, and graphics so i know hardly a good test but even so here it is.

First impressions:

All sikk mod effects seam to work

HDR worked fine the depth of field effect worked has it was supposed (blurred the scene depending where the reticle was pointing), i saw the cool leans effects, etc no problem that was obvious at first glance (like the flipped upside down screen bug that i add on sikk mod on doom3 and on TDM with Bloom on).

Performance:

With no AI and no other players this is not really a real test but again:

Game felt very fast i must say faster than even Doom 3 with no AI in sight, but some viewpoints brought my FPS from 60 to below 30 (29,28) so that is a little worrisome.

And that's it for now, again sorry for the lack of screens but will try to do that tomorrow.   

oneofthe8devilz

Yes I am getting your PMs.

Thanks for your first quick review... the fact that the Sikkmod effects seem to run without issues on newer ATI hardware is hopeful...

Would you be so kind to write a detailed tutorial of the Doom3.exe renaming step to circumvent the Catalyst AI Drivers ?

That way other ATI MCS testers here could try your approach and give feedback.

Yesterday it was a bit tricky on the server hosting side cause like I said currently there are migration operations in progress so I had to run backup servers from home which by the way are just as fast and efficient but not everyone received the message of the ip change...

Fortunately some of the test players still managed to reach the temporary setup Teamspeak3 and MCS dedicated servers and so we still managed to get some nice testing going on.

I will keep hosting and playtesting on the server every evening between 20:00 - 0:00 CET and so far every evening there were new players arrving to test with.

If any of the new test players encounter issues during the installation of the test build or during the connection to the Dedicated Servers, feel free to post me PMs here in the forums or at my e-mail oneofthe8devilz@hotmail.com.

A first quick review of how the testing is running:

- There are about 20 testers that have received access to the test so far.
- The build is running surprisingly stable and most people report a smooth PVP and PVE netcode experience.
- The testing already helped to identify some smaller map related issues and the ATI feedback has been really helpful too.

One of the things left to be fully tested is the 8 player PVP in "Deathmatch" and "Team Deathmatch" mode. Eventually over the weekend (when most people are at home) we might be able to get the 8 players server filled up and get some good fragging going on :)

I also encourage the other testers to post short forms of reviews here so that I have a place of collecting written data additionally to the feedback I get during the testing and in the Teamspeak3 channels...   

Check out our mods at

MrC

I can't really speak for any graphical issues although I did initially run with many of the sikkmod features enabled from the menu using my main machine's 670, everything seemed to run quite fast before I disabled most of it as I just prefer the more 'classic' look. I would like to post about (despite the above mentioned server change) what amounted to be one hell of a silky smooth deathmatch and coop experience. I particularly enjoyed the shipping container level during the demon wars game mode in terms of sniping demons with the railgun from the high ground after realizing that my grenade showering / carpet bombing was taking out more than just the demons with friendly fire below. Campaign mode was great also and really felt like a classic Doom coop experience which evoked feelings of nostalgia as did the straight forward frag-fest in classic deathmatch although I would have preferred the player movement speed to be a bit faster overall.

Some issues were pointed out as we played as already being privy to and overall I truly recommend this to anyone who enjoys a good old fashioned monster wave skirmish or classic death match without being pulled from the experience by constant network breaking issues. So congratulations to oneofthe8devilz and the MCS team, awesome job!

I will as always try to jump on and test some more if I can and will also continue offline to see if I can spot any other issues.