News:

One Minute Game Review by The Happy Friar: https://ugetube.com/@OneMinteGameReviews
Also on Rumble: https://rumble.com/c/c-1115371

idTech 4 (aka Doom 3 tech) Discord Server! https://discord.gg/9wtCGHa

Main Menu

Updated - Zombies Rock Pack - Released

Started by Zombie, September 19, 2014, 05:16:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tron

Just a quick lighting test, only using a couple of the pieces.

Zombie

Quote from: oneofthe8devilz on October 06, 2014, 05:33:36 PM
Wow, never thought a rock-cave could look that sexy in idtech4... impressive work Zombie  8)

It's always about the content.

If you make content that doesn't leverage the features of the engine correctly, it can seomtimes cause the engine to look not as good as it can.

The Happy Friar

Quote from: oneofthe8devilz on October 06, 2014, 05:33:36 PM
Wow, never thought a rock-cave could look that sexy in idtech4... impressive work Zombie  8)

See, it's perfectly good and rational comments like that one that make me now want to put the rocks in a bikini with a caption "SEXY ROCKS!"  :)

motorsep

Quote from: tron on October 07, 2014, 01:06:50 AM
Just a quick lighting test, only using a couple of the pieces.

w00t! Do you mind breaking down lighting setup ? :)

tron

Nothing fancy, just a result of having good hi-poly (by Doom3 standards) assets.

motorsep

Quote from: tron on October 07, 2014, 08:22:20 PM
Nothing fancy, just a result of having good hi-poly (by Doom3 standards) assets.

Sure. However, do you have ambient light inside the cave (or dim point light), stronger light shining inside + fog lamp ?

tron

First off I quickly moved some of the rocks around, I wanted to get the best emphasis on the detail in the props so the ridges are placed perpendicular to the tunnel to pick up the sunlight best, while the ones inside the cave proper are stood up so you get more detailed edges on that small cliff:

Now a nice bright light with it's origin point positioned just outside the hole to the sky:

Ok, that's picking up the detail nicely, let's add a light inside the cave to simulate a bit of bounce lighting:

The light coming in through the cave entrance is a bit harsh, let's soften that up with another sunlight.  This time rather than the sun itself I'm trying to create the impression of softer lighting from the entire sky, so this one has less saturation in the colour and has the origin point further inside the tunnel.  This means the lighting is pretty weird if you go up there, but if this was actually going to be used in a level I'd have it blocked off so that doesn't really matter.

It still looks very artificial, so let's soften things up more.  First with a glare light:

And finally a foglight.  This fog region doesn't fill the whole cave, but is rotated around so the soft fadeout face of the fog is in front of the tunnel to the sky, creating the impression of dusty air being light up in that area:

That's about it.

Like I said it was just a quick test of the assets, if I was going to use this area I'd spend more time on the prop placement and on fine-tuning the lighting, but the basic steps I laid out here are how I'd go about it.