News:

One Minute Game Review by The Happy Friar: https://ugetube.com/@OneMinteGameReviews
Also on Rumble: https://rumble.com/c/c-1115371

idTech 4 (aka Doom 3 tech) Discord Server! https://discord.gg/9wtCGHa

Main Menu

idtech COOP Medieval/Fantasy/Stealth Universe projects

Started by oneofthe8devilz, October 01, 2014, 07:19:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oneofthe8devilz

Being a big fan of medieval/fantasy/steampunk stealth games, I always regret that up to this point no major AAA studio bothered enough to release a cooperative version of the genre...

And so due to the lack of coop content in that genre, I decided to try and get existing builds to work in COOP, that would allow players to enjoy that type of gameplay with friends across the internet...

Now of course, given the fact that I am an individual with a fairly limited amount of resources and capabilities, I have to maximize code and asset acquisition, in case I ever expect to complete any project within a reasonable amount of time and release it to the community...

Luckily for me the idtech community is an amazing place with extraordinary talented people, that are kind enough allowing me to use their top quality art and code for my community targeted coop projects...

In The Shadows, Quake 1 Mod by Simon 'Sock' O'Callaghan
=======================================

"In The Shadows" is a Quake 1 conversion that adds a stealth system and whole new campaign to Quake. Sneak past the enemies and/or try kill them safely from within the shadows while playing through the custom campaign avoiding detection...

Simon was kind enough to provide his project's source code for internal testing and so with a few quite rudimentary changes to the code, I was able to enable coop-capability for the campaign...

... the Coop test session was recorded :)

(click on the image to playback the youtube video)

Then of course I got my own idtech4 based projects (FMJ,MCS,Venture) cooking and in the past I mentioned several times that I am a huge Thief:Deadly Shadows fan and the idea of being able to play it in COOP with a friend across the internet was intriguing enough to me to actually start and rebuilding the game within idtech4...

Thief: Deadly Shadows @ idtech4 by Oneofthe8devilz
===================================

Now porting a game to a complete different engine/codebase is of course a gigantic task (especially for a "one man" team) so when you watch the early WIP footage below please bear that in mind, with me still figuring out how to rebuild game assets, shaders and code the most efficient way. But the general idea is to slowly port the game mission by mission, asset by asset to idtech4...

(click on the image to playback the youtube video)

Garrett@NightmareBurrows@Venture

(click the image to watch the youtube video)

idtech4.Dungeon.Shader.WIP

I am looking for fellow modders to join this project to speed up the development...

For the other COOP fanatics here, I will keep this thread updated with the progress I make over time...
I got six little friends and they all run faster than you ;)

Check out our mods at
moddb or the SPS Homepage

caedes

Do you start from scratch or are based in The Dark Mod? Except for Coop it  probably has everything you want

oneofthe8devilz

Quote from: caedes on October 01, 2014, 08:14:51 AM
Do you start from scratch or are based in The Dark Mod? Except for Coop it  probably has everything you want

Well currently I am doing it from scratch, though the idea of teaming up with the dark mod team came up multiple times in the past...
I am open for anything but I guess the dark mod dev team is quite busy with their standalone codebase maintenance.

Check out our mods at

wintch

In Quake 1 Mod video, the guy entering into portal is my namesake :) All the best with this project!

oneofthe8devilz

Garrett@NightmareBurrows@Venture

idtech4.Dungeon.Shader.WIP

I am looking for fellow modders to join this project to speed up the development...

Check out our mods at

oneofthe8devilz

Venture Online PlayTest 2019 [idtech]

ClientSide Online Playtest connected to a Dedicated Server testing fully operational FirstPerson and ThirdPerson Views and Animations replicated across the Network/Internet with the new hybrid idtech4 engine.

Check out our mods at

motorsep

No one really cares.. Perhaps people would be more excited for your stuff if you released source code for networking (to be integrated into dhewm3 perhaps).

EoceneMiacid

Quote from: motorsep on April 26, 2019, 07:04:34 PM
No one really cares..

Not everyone is as miserable as you are, Motorsep. I care. Don't speak for others.

> Perhaps people would be more excited for your stuff if you released source code for networking (to be integrated into dhewm3 perhaps).

Well, can't say I disagree with that.

xyzz

I like browsing through older threads to see how they argue all the time.

oneofthe8devilz

Quote from: motorsep on April 26, 2019, 07:04:34 PM
No one really cares.. Perhaps people would be more excited for your stuff if you released source code for networking (to be integrated into dhewm3 perhaps).

Well did it ever eventually cross your mind that trolls like you might be partially responsible for the fact that the source code for OpenCoop or MCS are not available to the public ? Over the years where you ran your trolling ignorant mouth eventually ppl got so fed up with you that they simply abandoned places like the id Tech Forums...

I mean look at this place now...

Imagine for a second being so annoying to partially cause the exodus of an entire community page plus keeping people from releasing their source code...

Think of all the missed community opportunities and achievements because of the ignorance of a few individuals that simply don't know when to keep their mouth shut.

In the words of Ashley Williams: "What A Waste !" 

Check out our mods at

motorsep

Did someone just fart?! Oh hai oneofthe8devilz  >:D

Hey, don't blame the mirror if you have a fucked up face.. People didn't leave - there was no people to begin with. This is an ancient tech that attracts only a few and in between. Everyone else moved on to other games and engines.

The only reason you haven't released source is you and your delusions.

oneofthe8devilz

And yet this "ancient tech" is so outdated and so obsolete that it still makes you trash-comment on other people's idtech based threads...

On the other hand maybe I am all you have in your pathetic life and maybe this is why you cling so hard to commenting on whatever I post/release (even after years of abstinence... I am actually just realizing how sick that is :o)

But this is weird and sad at the same time... you're like that fat little kid that no one likes and that simply can't or won't understand that it is unwanted and keeps coming back running no matter how hard you smack it back.... it still keeps coming back with tears in its eyes trying even harder.

You're that fat little kid motorsep and the information that you're unwanted just does not reach your synapses no matter how hard you get smacked across your gob and so you keep coming and coming and coming... Close your eyes motorsep... Close your little tiny fat eyes and see yourself from my point of view... Can you see yourself ?

Don't be that fat little nerdy kid no more motorsep... or go chase someone else that won't reject you like I do...

Check out our mods at

bitterman

Video from 2019 looks great. Perhaps overweight for me, but great.

Some related question,  if you don't mind.

Is that coop mode based on original multiplayer mode from D3?
Or, in other words, can I realize coop gameplay based only on original MP mode?
I mean coop like in System shock 2.
Some limitations?

Thanks.

oneofthe8devilz

Hey bitterman, once all the core Doom3 gameplay mechanics are properly replicating across the network a basic stealth based gameplay is planned to be implemented which will allow players to silently sneak, outmaneuver or stealth kill enemies. This will be realized though modifying the enemy AI's script behavior.

Check out our mods at

bitterman

Ok, thanks.

I found a D3 network manual from van Waveren. Looks like it contains answers for all main questions.