News:

One Minute Game Review by The Happy Friar: https://ugetube.com/@OneMinteGameReviews
Also on Rumble: https://rumble.com/c/c-1115371

idTech 4 (aka Doom 3 tech) Discord Server! https://discord.gg/9wtCGHa

Main Menu

D.R.A.P. - Doom(3) rewrite assets project

Started by wintch, September 19, 2014, 09:50:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wintch

Hello doom fans!

Since doom3world is dead, i am writing here, just in case someone is doing the same job.
Some time ago, friends and i had decided to rewrite basic doom3 assets and make this work public. The goal is basically to extend this in a bigger way.
Well, the job is nearly done, so if someone is interested in the dark mod (TC of Doom3 ), but with more liberal license, we'll drop everything to SVN before Christmas.

Almost all assets were rewritten, updated links:

Game on indiedb (December 2015 Build)
Game on Gamejolt (December 2015 Build)
Get engine/assets/libs/source (Github sources and assets)

2016 roadmap

Cleanup from legacy Doom3 assets (animation mostly)
Oculus support
DM4 map light and models rework

2015 roadmap

We are now focused at multiplayer, some things i hope we can do this year:

Dpmaster must be reworked to allow registering your server on the net
Waiting for netcode to be rewritten
FX problem at client side
Some dedicated server problems were solved, others are still there
MD5 animations are legacy, need to rewrite those
Oculus DK2 support merge, forum with a howto
Adding coop is not planned, but since is easy to do and also was done before, if i have some AI and monsters i could do it again
Porting everything to BFG sourcecode is a hard task. Last priority right now, but still possible if i have time for that and no feature is lost
Cool project aiming at BFG standalone gamedev can be found on github

Latest gameplay video (July 2015)

caedes

Great to see that someone advances the d3-base-assets :)

That should make a good starting point for everyone who wants to create a standalone game based on Doom3.

If you add more entity definitions (mine are incomplete because I got bored and occupied with my job at some point) or other totally basic things, pull requests for the d3-base-assets repo are still welcome.

BTW: Kordex and I are working on a standalone SDK based on the BFG code: https://github.com/OpenTechEngine/OpenTechBFG
It's not nearly as usable as old-doom3 based stuff yet, because we haven't ported tools yet (and we also plan to replace the flash-based menus with cegui-based ones). We haven't done much in the last weeks though because we spent much of our scarce freetime on reviving modwiki ;)

oneofthe8devilz

I got six little friends and they all run faster than you ;)

Check out our mods at
moddb or the SPS Homepage

wintch

Let me be honest with you. I don't like the idea of adding D.R.A.P. to d3-base-assets. The reason is that i am almost sure, that i can't rewrite all the Doom3 assets by the end of the year.
Some things (as POM shader) are from SIKKmod, some another staff is from original Doom3, sure i'm also using assets from another mods. What i am trying to do, is to rewrite the most of them. Asi many, asi it is technically possible by one person in spare time. What i know is still missing:

All the md5 models and animations (some fault there belong to importers/exporters)
Some of the .def files still contains original code in them
All .af files (i dont have md5's, so there is nothing to replace by now)
Some of the .sndshd files
Few materials were not rewritten yet (most related to basic things in the game)
Couldn't get time to see .script files, but i guess they are not so tough

The rest is ok, all brand new (it is ok to say so in English? I heard it's ok, but not sure and wanted to try). I will push it somewhere don't matter what, so by the time some of the assets could still belong to Bethesda. Kinda stupid, havind Doom3, BFG or any other game on torrent these days. Still it's a risk. The worst thing can happen is them asking to remove the content i guess. I'm not even selling it so...

After putting it on public SVN, if you want, the same day you have it "GIT forked" or any other thing. Sorry about that, but i don't want to push it my self to another place, hope now you understand why. Would be great to have a common SVN or GIT and every new map or other good assets, are seen by just updating. No broken links, 5 different versions of the same map over the net...maybe someday :)

Regards

wintch

Update 10/10/2014

Ok second LAN is done. VĂ­deo on youtube, ideas always welcome :)

p/s got 404 error when editing the original post :(

The Happy Friar

Quote from: wintch on October 10, 2014, 09:53:03 PM
p/s got 404 error when editing the original post :(

Oneofthe8devils reported it seems to be when you post more then 3 links per post but it doesn't happen on my account (admin).  I'm working doubles most of the month so I haven't looked in to it to much yet.

wintch

All set guys, i am updating header to include all the necessary links.
Not all the assets were rewritten, so if someone can give us a hand (with md5anim especially), that would be great

BloodRayne

The Happy Friar

Put a link to the assets on github in your post too.  I thought that WAS the link, downloaded and say it was just the engine.  :)

I tried it.  Loaded up DM5.  Damn floating platforms!  There's a weapon on the middle but it doesn't seem to be in my weapon rotation.  What is it?

wintch

Quote from: The Happy Friar on February 15, 2015, 04:59:59 PM
Put a link to the assets on github in your post too.  I thought that WAS the link, downloaded and say it was just the engine.  :)

I tried it.  Loaded up DM5.  Damn floating platforms!  There's a weapon on the middle but it doesn't seem to be in my weapon rotation.  What is it?
Updated, thanks!
The weapon is a machinegun, it is available in multiplayer from the start as the main weapon. Singleplayer is not tested (missing player skin, so it may not work at all).
Also jumping is a lot easier in multiplayer that in singleplayer, we tested it and is a bit tricky at the biginig, but with proper FOV and few minutes...
I am still merging assets, so some new map will be available soon :)

wintch

New video is in the header  :))
I am making some demos with UDK4 now, so there will be probably a big gap until next update

argoon

Nice project i'm sure it will be usefull.

Btw are you guys Portuguese? I'm asking because of the music on the video.

I'm Portuguese from Braga.

wintch

Quote from: argoon on July 30, 2015, 03:21:04 PM
Nice project i'm sure it will be usefull.

Btw are you guys Portuguese? I'm asking because of the music on the video.

I'm Portuguese from Braga.
We are from Buenos Aires, Argentina  ;)

argoon

haha fooled me :D  Nice that you like Portuguese music.

wintch

Updated roadmap and a new build link in header.
Happy new year and lots of frags for everyone!