News:

One Minute Game Review by The Happy Friar: https://ugetube.com/@OneMinteGameReviews
Also on Rumble: https://rumble.com/c/c-1115371

idTech 4 (aka Doom 3 tech) Discord Server! https://discord.gg/9wtCGHa

Main Menu

Welcome to the id Tech Forums!

Started by The Happy Friar, May 19, 2014, 12:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Rocket

Ah! Hey everyone!

Good to hear!  8)
Graphic/Texture artist for Hexen - Eoc and ARX - Eos

tron

A bit quiet compared to the old joint in here, but hopefully we can pull it all back together!

The Happy Friar

Old joint was kinda quite too, except for the off topic discussion.

I'm finding that everything contained only at modwiki & d3w was a really bad long term "plan."  I can find more Quake 2 how-to's, tutorials and info then I can D3 because they're shared all over the net.  Not spreading the info around to other sites really got rid of a bunch of good info (so much for nothing is ever gone from the 'net, eh?).

tron

Yeah, even iddevnet's long gone as well.  I'm still holding out the hope of BNA getting at least a static backup of D3W back at some point.  Looking to do some work with Prey, and backwards engineering existing maps to remember how it all works isn't fun!

solarsplace

Quote from: tron on June 26, 2014, 08:31:14 AM
Yeah, even iddevnet's long gone as well.  I'm still holding out the hope of BNA getting at least a static backup of D3W back at some point.  Looking to do some work with Prey, and backwards engineering existing maps to remember how it all works isn't fun!

Hi

Just FYI - IDDevNet is still online: http://www.iddevnet.com/doom3/

Also I have been able to find some helpful information through http://archive.org/web/ for Doom3world.org and ModWiki - but I can't post an example right now as that site is undergoing some sort of maintenance.

Thanks

Zombie

What could be neat is we all chip in to help out Tron with any technical details for Prey.

Build our own little library of things.

Of course I have to wait for my Wife to bring my laptop to France in about 4 weeks though.

The Happy Friar

Quote from: Zombie on June 27, 2014, 02:54:09 AM
Of course I have to wait for my Wife to bring my laptop to France in about 4 weeks though.

As a part time USPS employee I'd say just mail it in a flat rate box for ~$80, but as a husband I'd say I'd be more excited for the wife to show up then the laptop.   :goodnight:   :)

Zombie

Quote from: The Happy Friar on June 27, 2014, 06:23:18 AM
Quote from: Zombie on June 27, 2014, 02:54:09 AM

As a part time USPS employee I'd say just mail it in a flat rate box for ~$80, but as a husband I'd say I'd be more excited for the wife to show up then the laptop.   :goodnight:   :)

Actually, we went to UPS and they wanted 250 CAD to send it. So I said don't worry about it and bought a second hand laptop for roughly that price, so I am working on my next DOOM 3 level again.

As for the wife, no comment ;)

The Happy Friar

I'm toying with the idea of "ads" on the site, but not ads for me to generate income, ads for users to advertise their stuff.  IE a banner ad by btk up top telling about the release of False Dawn.  A banner add by Zombie about his texture packs.

Users would have to make their own banner and I'd approve it before I put it up.

What do people think of this?

deadite4

How large of a banner?  I ask because really my only current complaint on the overall look of the forum is just how many forums there actually are.  When I'm not logged in it's a long scroll to get all the way to the recent posts section, especially when I have zero interest in tech 1, 2 or 3 discussions.

I wouldn't mind the idea, but I'd hate to add more to an already lengthy forum main page.  Is there a way to more efficiently make them into subforums so they aren't their own lines?

The Happy Friar

I use the "show unread posts" button up top.  I don't scroll down unless I want to make a new thread.  id tech 4 should also be right under general.  If you click the forum section titles (id tech 4, for example) it should minimize the list and you only see the heading, except general.

Not sure how to reduce the amount of space the top of the forum takes up.  My wife's laptop requires scrolling on any forum but my 1920x1080 screen doesn't for most of them, so it might just be a matter of resolution.  Maybe get all the info on the side like the GameSpy forums where?

A banner would be ~470x60.

EDIT: in the upper right next to the forum logo is a little arrow.  Clicking the arrow will hide part of the menu.

EDIT2: Changing your theme might make you scroll less too: Profile - Account Settings - Look and Layout (on left) - Current Theme.

Zombie

Do you think you could make an example banner and put it where you think it would go so we can see what you have in mind?

The Happy Friar

Yes, I can.  Give me a couple days to look in to how it can be done and give it a shot.

deadite4

My issue is I typically only sign in if I plan to post something.  So without signing in, you don't get those features of minimizing subforums, unread posts, etc.  When you come here as just a visitor, all you get is this wall of unposted in forums/subforums and to see what recent activity there is it's a long scroll down to see what's going on.

The main portal on D3W was great because you could see right before you went into the forum, what was currently going on.  It's tough to know what's going on here without signing in.

The Happy Friar

See, that's the kind of thing I want to know and you guys (users) to talk about.  :) 

So a "latest posts" notice would be something you would like to see.  Tastyspleen (http://forum.tastyspleen.net/quake/index.php) has something like that, but it's not all new posts, looks lie only from a certain forum or selected ones.

Some things I won't mind getting on the forums, some I might mind, but I want people to find it useful.  I am really trying to avoid "feature creep" with the forums.  For example, I think a shoutbox would be awesome.  Works great on Tastyspleen.  However, we're not a site for telling how to play D3 & a place where players can get together and setup games & what not.  So, I didn't install it.

BTW, why don't you stay signed in?