News:

One Minute Game Review by The Happy Friar: https://ugetube.com/@OneMinteGameReviews
Also on Rumble: https://rumble.com/c/c-1115371

idTech 4 (aka Doom 3 tech) Discord Server! https://discord.gg/9wtCGHa

Main Menu

Arl's improvements (WIP).

Started by Arl, March 30, 2016, 05:33:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arl

Hi again, I've realized that my previous posts are in the wrong section, feel free to move them to the "help" section if you like, and sorry for that.

Anyway, instead of coming here just seeking for help I decided to share with you my latest progress in a project I'm trying to accomplish. I'm trying to improve some graphical aspects of Doom 3 that for todays standards are a bit annoying, but not implementing any changes that way come from a personal taste decision (or at least I'm trying not to).

The more laborious and most important feature so far, improved hands of npcs, zombies, etc:

Zombies look beter now without that 3 fingered/crabclaw looking hand:

As you may have noticed, I used the first person hand model as a base for all the replacements.

Some graphics improvements:

HD 16:9 splash screens:

HD icon, one like the original and a variant:

Other changes:

These are think I'm planing to do:

-Replace weapon's item models with more detailed version using the first person models.
-Improve the meshes of any head that looks too blocky.

There's still work to be done, but this is already going somewhere I guess. Sorry for not being quite clear about what this is all about, I wish I could, but writing in English is quite difficult to me, hopefully you can assume that this is just another graphic improvement mod on the way. I'm most than open to suggestion of what else could I try to improve, just remember the guidelines I'm trying to maintain.

Hope you like what you see so far, Saludos.

oneofthe8devilz

This looks really nice.

Is this for Doom3 1.3.1 or BFG ?

I see that the head shaders/textures seem to be from the BFG version. If so how did you access/aquire the source image files in order to detail/refine/resize them ?

Also I would be interested in the methods you used to create higher resolution images from diffuse, bump/normal and specular maps.

Can you give more information about your texture workflow ?

Also did you use the "cinematic player model hands" to replace the low poly NPC hands ?
I got six little friends and they all run faster than you ;)

Check out our mods at
moddb or the SPS Homepage

Arl

Quote from: oneofthe8devilz on March 30, 2016, 07:04:19 PM
This looks really nice.

Thank you.

Quote from: oneofthe8devilzIs this for Doom3 1.3.1 or BFG ?

I made this using Doom 3. I don't have the BFG edition to test if it works with it, but I don't see why not either.

Quote from: oneofthe8devilzI see that the head shaders/textures seem to be from the BFG version. If so how did you access/aquire the source image files in order to detail/refine/resize them ?

I would love to be able to take my hands on those BFG character textures, but sadly the .bImage format has prevented me from doing so.

Quote from: oneofthe8devilzAlso I would be interested in the methods you used to create higher resolution images from diffuse, bump/normal and specular maps.

Can you give more information about your texture workflow ?

If you mean those images of Sergeant Kelly, I'm surprised that you are noticing any difference, I tried to enhance the skin appearance by doubling the specular and height map sizes and adding extra details by hand, but it wasn't enough since the changes are barely noticeable. I don't know if I'm answering your question.

Quote from: oneofthe8devilzAlso did you use the "cinematic player model hands" to replace the low poly NPC hands ?

Yes, the cinematic player model and the first person hands model uses a more detailed arm mesh and textures than the regular arms you can normally see in your mirror reflection or in other npcs, so I used those meshes which are quite complete (it only lacks the shoulders) and edit them to fit the needs of this replacement.

VGames

These hands are awesome. Is there any way I could use them for PD3? Would be a nice little addition for the upcoming release.
Get the latest on Perfected Doom 3 here - http://www.moddb.com/mods/perfected-doom-3-version-500

romulus_ut3

VGames, you should definitely check yet one of Arl's most finest work, the DOOM III 0.01 Shotgun. That reminds me, is der_ton around?

VGames

Thanks for the suggestion but I love the final shotgun in doom 3. Plus I've made several new animations for it already. As for derton haven't seen him around.
Get the latest on Perfected Doom 3 here - http://www.moddb.com/mods/perfected-doom-3-version-500

spamclark15

Nice work. This is a lot more than the very minor improvements the BFG edition made.

oneofthe8devilz

Quote from: Phobos Anomaly
I made this using Doom 3. I don't have the BFG edition to test if it works with it, but I don't see why not either.

Even better... I prefer the original Doom3 1.3.1 build.

I really am interested in your "unchanged" Sgt.Kelly head shader/textures.

Quote from: Phobos Anomaly

I would like to add this "younger" version of Sgt.Kelly to my MCS character model selection:

In any case keep up that work...

Check out our mods at

Arl

Quote from: VGames on March 30, 2016, 08:55:11 PM
These hands are awesome. Is there any way I could use them for PD3? Would be a nice little addition for the upcoming release.

I guess once I finish this everyone would be free to use those assets for whatever they want.

I would just ask for the politeness of credit me for my efforts and to provide a link to the original mod, the regular courtesy.

Quote from: oneofthe8devilz on March 31, 2016, 06:40:17 AM
I really am interested in your "unchanged" Sgt.Kelly head shader/textures.

Quote from: Phobos Anomalyhttp://i.imgur.com/QRm1BhP.jpg

I would like to add this "younger" version of Sgt.Kelly to my MCS character model selection:

That image of Sgt. Kelly is from the vanilla game, if you are talking of the textures I made for him trying to make it look more detailed I guess I can share them, since I don't think I'm going to add them in the final mod (there are just not much visible difference).

Now, if you are interesting in a younger version maybe I can tweak the textures a bit to aminorate or eliminate some age wrinkles and see what happend.

VGames

Well if u release before I release version 7 I'll add them. If not I won't worry about it.

oneofthe8devilz

Yeah... I guess several factors came here into play...

The default Sgt.Kelly in MCS looks older because of the higher contrast and the dynamic tone mapping which makes him look more bald and therefore older in that scene:

The BFG Sgt.Kelly has a darker hair texture and therefore looks younger to me:

So when I saw the unedited vanilla shots of Sgt.Kelly of the Doom3 1.3.1 version it looked you emphasized the hair since I haven't run that particular cinematic in stock doom3 for quite some time...

Check out our mods at

oneofthe8devilz

Thanks for the textures.

Your version is the middle one.

What do you think about the bottom version ? (a little darker hair and a little more color to the skin)

The bottom version definitely looks 10 years younger to me or what do you think ?

Check out our mods at

Arl

Looks nice, I didn't change the color saturation on the skin texture because Doom 3 uses a regular tone intensity in all skin surfaces, otherwise the faces and the arms/hands turn uneven in color.

I have to say that at least on my monitor is hard to see details in those faces because the contrast intensity eliminates a lot of image information, the pitch black parts are too dominant and the brightest parts are burning the image with its intensity.

But yes, he looks a lot younger now that he appears to have a fair amount of hair density.

Arl

Sorry for the double post, I just wanted to say that I've released the first beta of this, you can download it in the moddb page:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/arls-improvements