News:

One Minute Game Review by The Happy Friar: https://ugetube.com/@OneMinteGameReviews
Also on Rumble: https://rumble.com/c/c-1115371

idTech 4 (aka Doom 3 tech) Discord Server! https://discord.gg/9wtCGHa

Main Menu

Announcing a new mod: Cube 1997

Started by BloodRayne, July 12, 2015, 12:22:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BloodRayne

If you haven't seen the movie Cube, made in 1997, then you haven't truly watched television the way you should. It's a fantastic movie, that still completely holds up to current day standards in terms of story telling and effects. I've just rewatched all three cube movies and have decided to start on a cube mod for Doom3.

Movie still:

The total conversion will feature puzzle solving, avoiding deadly traps, and dealing with the other residents of the cube, trying to find their way out. I won't be putting this on moddb as of yet, as I don't want to get a take down notice as soon as it hits the air. For now I'm just creating it for curiosity sake. :)

First screenshots:

VGames

I thought I heard a certain somebody say they were out of modding because they were so busy with work. Who could that have been???

Good to see u back in it. This looks interesting. Maybe when this is done I can get your help. Unless of course work gets in the way again. LOL

can't wait to see how this turns out.
Get the latest on Perfected Doom 3 here - http://www.moddb.com/mods/perfected-doom-3-version-500

BloodRayne

More screens, did some more work this evening. :)

argoon

I don't see any problem with a cube mod, there was one for Fallout 3 (very good by the way) and it was not shutdown. 

BloodRayne

I checked that, looks good. But not as exact. We'll see what happens. The prototype room is nearly finished. Now to make the animated entity for the door (so it slides forward, then down, on rails and is an entity I can easily distribute). Then I can start working on copy/pasting rooms and filling out traps. I think I'll make it dynamic, so the traps appear randomly, just need to work out a hint system, so you can recognise them in time. :)

BloodRayne

Working on the prototype room today, got a few hours spare. Trying to get the room to be more of an exact replica.

Movie still:

The doors are still place holders, screenshot of D3Edit:

BloodRayne

Ok done for today. Integrated sikk mod for the visual goodies, nearly ready for creating the door and animation in 3dsMax.

BielBdeLuna

argoon

For the hint system i recommend stuff like blood pools, pieces of meat, burned walls for fire traps or acid traps, full dead bodies for gaz rooms, etc, just don't use the mathematical numbering system used in the movie we aren't all math genius like the movie guy you know ;P .

BloodRayne

Quote from: argoon on July 13, 2015, 08:05:35 PM
For the hint system i recommend stuff like blood pools, pieces of meat, burned walls for fire traps or acid traps, full dead bodies for gaz rooms, etc, just don't use the mathematical numbering system used in the movie we aren't all math genius like the movie guy you know ;P .

Indeed. Or perhaps some kind of other puzzle system. I'm also thinking of timed traps. E.g. the walls are crushing you unless you move fast enough, etc.. :)

argoon

Quote from: BloodRayne on July 14, 2015, 02:19:41 AM
Quote from: argoon on July 13, 2015, 08:05:35 PM

Indeed. Or perhaps some kind of other puzzle system. I'm also thinking of timed traps. E.g. the walls are crushing you unless you move fast enough, etc.. :)

Yes i like that idea and it makes me think of a room that fills with water but the doors stay closed until you find the valve and turn it, i know there's nothing like that on the movie but imo you can really take liberty on the traps.

VGames

Traps is good. Even better when somebody else's life is on the line and u can see it happening if u don't do what needs to be done to save them. I've never seen this movie before. I may need to check it out to know what's truly going on with this mod.
Get the latest on Perfected Doom 3 here - http://www.moddb.com/mods/perfected-doom-3-version-500

BielBdeLuna

will you add multiplayer setup? it would be cool to have several coop players copeeting to get out of the cube:

who risks enter the next room? who takes command of the group... quite interesting setup for a coop game

BloodRayne

Right now it's 'vanilla' doom3 with Sikk mod extensions (for HDR etc..)

Did some more work last night on the prototype room. It's getting closer and closer to deployment into playable maps. Also working and experimenting with lighting filters to get the right ambience inside the game. I'd really like to target the movie as close as possible.

Created a door entity, with rotating handle. It now animates as in the movie (e.g. the door is in a cradle which is part of the model, it's handle rotates 180 degrees, then the slide moves forwards a bit, then slides down within the cradle. All working nicely and freely placeable in the map. Oh yes, also got some reflective surfaces going on in there, not true reflection but, by means of creating some ENV_Shots inside the base room, visible in the last screenshot.

argoon

Nice work, will you touch on the more crazy stuff of the latter films or are you using only the first one as guide?