News:

One Minute Game Review by The Happy Friar: https://ugetube.com/@OneMinteGameReviews
Also on Rumble: https://rumble.com/c/c-1115371

idTech 4 (aka Doom 3 tech) Discord Server! https://discord.gg/9wtCGHa

Main Menu

Growing the community

Started by BloodRayne, August 08, 2015, 02:43:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

motorsep

Quote from: EoceneMiacid on May 25, 2016, 04:28:22 PMYou don't seem to be very enthusiastic about idTech4. Are you sure you're on the right forum?

I am not enthusiastic about the engine, after spending several years and several thousand bucks improving it, and getting nowhere. Plus, no one wants to work with it, even for money. I've worked with 2 ex-ID guys and ex-HH guy, and they advised me to drop the engine and use something else (one helped me with advise, another one actually coded a lot of stuff and just couldn't bear working with the tech at some point).

I've written a lot about the engine in the past and I am not going to do it again as devilz will have another anxiety attack  >:D

To put it simply - if you want to make Doom 3 Expansion pack, it's fine. If you want to make something beyond what Doom 3 offers, give everyone a favor and work on it behind closed doors or just do something else in life.

To answer your second half of the questions, yes, I am in the right forum. I don't live here, just visit from time to time to bitch-slap morons like devilz and give some practical advise to lost souls who thinks idTech 4 is _the_ engine to make games with (commercial games that is).

bitterman

I'm even not always understand you guys, but I must to say it.

I was inspired by such sites as iddevnet, modwiki and doom3world.
It was wonderful sites and a real community as I want to believe.

At now I feel the disunity and deceived expectations. And it's very demoralizing.

Some of you have done really wonderful things.

Perhaps the engine is bad for Commerce (I mean direct selling in the current market) but (I want to believe again) it is possible to create good things.

In fact, it's looking like the post of faith.

vladdrak

motorsep: i added you on steam. could you please accept? thx

motorsep

Quote from: vladdrak on May 26, 2016, 11:10:23 AM
motorsep: i added you on steam. could you please accept? thx

At work right now. I'll check Steam at evening, if I have time. If not, then on weekend.

EoceneMiacid

Quote from: motorsep on May 26, 2016, 12:25:01 PM
You are blind obviously. He wants to rework the engine. Not to make mods using what engine already offers.

.. what are you talking about, seriously?
Stop putting words in my mouth. Also, please refrain from joining the discussion if all you want to do is make life harder for us.

I do not want to rework the engine. I never claimed I want to rework the engine.
I have said that it would be in the community's best interest to prevent fragmentation. It's small enough as it is, and a crucial goal is to have a single source port, that supports both Classic and BFG Doom. (I'm a classic guy, and I regret id chose to release the BFG edition, but there you go).

Also, looking at the Dark Mod, that's also not what I would like to go after. I'm interested in Doom. I want to put some serious effort into making a mod so good that it'll receive attention by the gaming press, one that'll convince people to give Doom 3 a second try.

And, if you'll allow me to sound really pretentious for just a moment, I know exactly what this mod needs to do. I'm just not experienced enough yet with the tech, and it'll take time. I have time, and I'm motivated as fuck.

Doom 3 simply isn't popular, because it's generally perceived to be a Doom game in name only. It's slow-paced, there's little room to move around in, the weapons aren't nearly as satisfying to use as they were in the other games, there's too few monsters and they're too hard to kill. That's the basic outline.

VGames

Have u tried out my mod Eocene? It does the best that can be done with Doom 3's map layouts and somebody made an addon for it that greatly increases the monster count. Plus weapon upgrades galore. Version 7 will boast even more.
Get the latest on Perfected Doom 3 here - http://www.moddb.com/mods/perfected-doom-3-version-500

EoceneMiacid

Quote from: VGames on May 26, 2016, 02:54:01 PM
Have u tried out my mod Eocene? It does the best that can be done with Doom 3's map layouts and somebody made an addon for it that greatly increases the monster count. Plus weapon upgrades galore. Version 7 will boast even more.

I'd like to. Do you have a (preferably) 64-bit Linux version available, or a link to the source code and build instructions? :)

VGames

No my source will be released when version 7 is released. Why people use Linux I don't understand. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Get the latest on Perfected Doom 3 here - http://www.moddb.com/mods/perfected-doom-3-version-500

EoceneMiacid

Quote from: VGames on May 26, 2016, 03:46:52 PM
No my source will be released when version 7 is released. Why people use Linux I don't understand. Sorry for the inconvenience.

... and that's why Doom 3 modding would hugely benefit from implementing a scripting language. Take away the platform dependency.

And I'm not going to start a OS flamewar here, but I cannot stand working with Windows. I much prefer Linux for a huge list of reasons. Let's keep it at that.

oneofthe8devilz

Quote from: EoceneMiacid on May 26, 2016, 03:54:08 PM
And I'm not going to start a OS flamewar here, but I cannot stand working with Windows. I much prefer Linux for a huge list of reasons. Let's keep it at that.

Then perhaps you'll be delighted to know that I just recently ported the latest internal devbuild of MCS to Linux :)

I got six little friends and they all run faster than you ;)

Check out our mods at
moddb or the SPS Homepage

EoceneMiacid

Looks great. Where can I download the Linux version?

I just tried getting Last Man Standing to work, which is advertised as Linux-compatible.
But it isn't. I get a whole bunch of script errors when I try to launch it.

I'm also looking into the dhewm3-mods repository thing, but I cannot get that to work either. It fails at the cmakelists step.

God damn, what a fucked up situation.

oneofthe8devilz

Quote from: EoceneMiacid on May 26, 2016, 04:51:23 PM
Looks great. Where can I download the Linux version?

The cross-platform-multiplayer release of MCS is scheduled for the next public update (the internal build already runs fine and stable and I use the Linux dedicated server on a daily basis for cross-platform-multiplayer testing purposes).

I usually don't give out release dates to my projects and stick to the "When it's done" credo but it would surprise me if the update wouldn't be released before this coming Fall...

...which reminds me that I still have a shitload of features to check on my to-do list.
I got six little friends and they all run faster than you ;)

Check out our mods at
moddb or the SPS Homepage

EoceneMiacid

So, I've just been enticed to play two different mods, by two different people, that I actually cannot play, on the same page.

On top of that, I'm lost following the cryptic instructions attempting to compile mods that DO have their source available.

And I've just wasted half an hour trying to get a mod to work that's advertised as Linux compatible.

THIS IS STARTING TO PISS ME THE FUCK OFF.

Why in the holy name of FUCK aren't your projects on Github?
What's with all the secrecy?

motorsep

Welcome to the world of Doom 3. Now you see why I am the way I am?!

Quote from: EoceneMiacid on May 26, 2016, 05:18:45 PM
So, I've just been enticed to play two different mods, by two different people, that I actually cannot play, on the same page.

On top of that, I'm lost following the cryptic instructions attempting to compile mods that DO have their source available.

And I've just wasted half an hour trying to get a mod to work that's advertised as Linux compatible.

THIS IS STARTING TO PISS ME THE FUCK OFF.

Why in the holy name of FUCK aren't your projects on Github?
What's with all the secrecy?

Phrozo

Firstly, it's a bit ironic we are talking about this when the thread creator isn't even actively modding it seems anymore. Second, the author to the most popular mod/mod-base ( Sikkpin ) is from what I understand missing in action. Thankfully he released the source code so it could be a base for many mods. In fact, it seems like if it isn't based in Sikkmod no one really wants to touch it. I made the mistake of modding the Doom 3 SDK directly and not Sikkmod so a lot my work is totally incompatible with other mods. To be honest it has been really discouraging to see work I feel is 10x better than previous works get so overlooked. That's alright though people don't have to be interested if they aren't it's just makes me feel sad sometimes  :-\

I'd love to do more modding but the time investment is too demanding, and a new scripting language wouldn't fix that. Doom 3 already comes with a fairly robust scripting language but ultimately C++ is where all the magic happens. Even John Carmack said having things like the AI and weapon logic in script was a bad idea which is why Rage dropped that design. I think it would be a very difficult challenge to create a compiler for the script like QuakeC but I would commend anyone who would be willing to try it. Would people use it though? Scripting isn't done as much as outsiders might think either.

That being said, I really appreciate what people are doing now. Keep up the hard work and continue making great stuff if you still are.