News:

One Minute Game Review by The Happy Friar: https://ugetube.com/@OneMinteGameReviews
Also on Rumble: https://rumble.com/c/c-1115371

idTech 4 (aka Doom 3 tech) Discord Server! https://discord.gg/9wtCGHa

Main Menu

fhDOOM (modernized idTech4)

Started by eXistence, April 10, 2016, 12:35:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nbohr1more

Yes, this is pretty ideal.

We'd need to covert a bunch of our custom ARB to GLSL but I believe SteveL is more comfortable with GLSL anyway.

This along with some of the work that Revelator has done with threading will be some nice improvements.

Still mostly looking forward to GPU Skinning and RGTC normal map compression though.

motorsep

nbohr1more

We had a prototype of LATC compression (3Dc for OpenGL) but Intel did not have driver support for it.
It might be that a 4.x profile driver from them includes it but then you basically need to do multiple profiles :(
Everyone has RGTC

EmoLevelDesigner

Soft shadows which take textures with transparent parts into account make the game look a lot more realistic and modern.

Do you plan to implement support of high frame rates? The game would be a lot more immersive if played at 144fps with motion blur.

I like it so far and look forward to newer version with more optimizations and bug fixes. For testing if everything in the port works properly I would recommend this map:
http://doom3.ru/news.php?id=1350
Link to download: https://disc.yandex.com/d/UWCr_8rinXwWf

I believe it would serve well as a stress test because it has a detailed open area with many shadows, buildings you can enter. Also while testing you can enjoy new innovative environment in Doom3 universe - artificial terrain carved by martian civilization. There are buildings, stations and cargo trucks of UAC origin you can enter, they have original architecture too, and challenging battles will push your skills of opposing the demons to the limits and beyond.

eXistence

Hi,

Quote from: EmoLevelDesigner on August 23, 2016, 11:27:53 AM
Do you plan to implement support of high frame rates? The game would be a lot more immersive if played at 144fps with motion blur.

60Hz is IMO just fine. Even DOOM (2016) which is a lot faster than Doom3 plays pretty nice with 60Hz.
I have currently no plans to implement motion blur.

Quote from: EmoLevelDesigner on August 23, 2016, 11:27:53 AM
I like it so far and look forward to newer version with more optimizations and bug fixes. For testing if everything in the port works properly I would recommend this map:
http://doom3.ru/news.php?id=1350
Link to download: https://disc.yandex.com/d/UWCr_8rinXwWf

I believe it would serve well as a stress test because it has a detailed open area with many shadows, buildings you can enter. Also while testing you can enjoy new innovative environment in Doom3 universe - artificial terrain carved by martian civilization. There are buildings, stations and cargo trucks of UAC origin you can enter, they have original architecture too, and challenging battles will push your skills of opposing the demons to the limits and beyond.

Thx for the suggestion, but i don't think this map qualifies as a test map.
* a lot of things are just bad for performance (even for original Doom3 and stencil shadows)
* it looks pretty amateurish
   * low-poly brush-based terrain
   * simple lighting
   * simple texturing
   * missing details in general
   The map has some pretty neat ideas and i really don't want to bash it, but it's just not on par with the maps from the original game.
* everything is russian? WTF? i don't undersand a single word of it...

I am focused on the original game. That beeing said, i have same ideas for a little demo map designed specifically for the improved engine.
Unfortunately my time is very limited right now, so progress on fhDOOM is slowed down at the moment ;(

EmoLevelDesigner

If a game supports 144Hz and motion blur it plays a lot better than just fine or pretty nice. It becomes like a window into another world. 144Hz together with motion blur eliminate immersion-breaking lights and fires that magically start to blink when you look around and fast moves that lose smoothess due to being too quick.

eXistence

Quote from: EmoLevelDesigner on August 27, 2016, 06:34:31 AM
If a game supports 144Hz and motion blur it plays a lot better than just fine or pretty nice. It becomes like a window into another world. 144Hz together with motion blur eliminate immersion-breaking lights and fires that magically start to blink when you look around and fast moves that lose smoothess due to being too quick.

144Hz is better than 60Hz, i won't argue that. As a test i already bumped the limit to 120* and it doesn't feel that different, so i still believe it's not worth it (for Doom3).
Hitting 60Hz on older hardware is hard enaugh and there are more interesting and more important things to do (for me as a dev and IMO for most users as well)

* the limit also affects other things like networking, so i don't want to release it that way.

motorsep

@EmoLevelDesigner

I think it's safe to say that if you want all modern visuals you might just play DOOM and use SnapMap to make new campaign :)

If you think about this, Doom 3 engine mods were released a long while back, and yet no one has made a decent game mod using those forks. End of era happened looooong time ago, unfortunately.

fhDOOM is a nice engine mod and I wish there were gameplay fixes along with rendering enhancements.

@eXistence

I provided caedes (dhewm3 maintainer/contributor) with our old fork of improved dhewm3. It has vehicle fixes / enhancements. StormEngine 2 has a lot of goodies, render-wise and gameplay wise. If you could merge those into fhDOOM, it would be really solid engine people should take advantage of and make some good mods.

bkt

To be honest, I'll take my engine mods simply as engine mods.  Bundling gameplay mods in just muddies the waters, especially if there aren't easy toggles to revert the game back to its original gameplay state.

One of my biggest issues with Sikkmod for example was the way that it modified so many small aspects of the game loop.  If I wanted to simply replay the game, or try a custom map, it was a pain to relive that same experience with added visual flare.

In saying that, I'm aware that I completely reworked a lot of Quake 4's features in my last Sikkmod powered release, but that was kind of the idea.

fhDoom sounds like it would be a great starting place for someone to either build a map, mod or just play through existing content with a nice coat of paint.

argoon

Hey eXistance if you are still around can you tell me if is possible to disable your new shadow maps by material or by script like we do with the old stencil shadows? It seams the noShadows global material keyword is ignored by shadow maps, i'm sure you did that so alpha tested materials on the vanilla maps could cast shadows but, i found on my testes with a custom grass/LOD system that a bunch of grass planes casting shadows is not good for performance.  :P

Thanks a bunch for your engine and help.

eXistence

Quote from: argoon on November 06, 2016, 10:02:30 PM
Hey eXistance if you are still around can you tell me if is possible to disable your new shadow maps by material or by script like we do with the old stencil shadows? It seams the noShadows global material keyword is ignored by shadow maps, i'm sure you did that so alpha tested materials on the vanilla maps could cast shadows but, i found on my testes with a custom grass/LOD system that a bunch of grass planes casting shadows is not good for performance.  :P

Yes, your assumption is correct: the noShadows material flag is usually* ignored on alphatested materials to enabled shadows. There is currently no way to enforce noShadows on materials. I will probably add support for something like force noShadows to the next release of fhDOOM to fix this.
Can you create a func_static from your grass planes? Setting the entity property "noshadows" to "1" should work fine.

*: there is a dirty little exception: if the material is alphatested, but is not two-sided and the name starts with "texture/decals", the noShadows flag works like before. I guess that won't help you very much...

argoon

Thanks, yes they are indeed func_statics never tried to force the no shadows by entity property, thanks for the tip. :)

About the texture/decal part it will indeed help because i can have a decal material/texture outside the decal folder and it would cast shadows without me knowing, now i know. :D

Thank you and continue the great work.

argoon

Hello it seams i'm having problems trying to compile fhdoom on VS2015 and i don't have VS2013 anymore, i have all the minimum required dependencies like so:

CMake 3.5
Windows 8.1 SDK

But i still get this errors:
Error   C1083   Cannot open include file: 'afxwin.h': No such file or directory   idlib   q:\fhdoom\work_folder\fhdoom-master\neo\tools\comafx\StdAfx.h   38

Error   LNK1104   cannot open file '..\idlib\Debug\idlib.lib'   fhGame-roe-x86   Q:\fhdoom\Work_folder\fhDOOM-master\build\msvc2015-x86\neo\d3xp\LINK   1

Error   LNK1104   cannot open file '..\idlib\Debug\idlib.lib'   fhGame-x86   Q:\fhdoom\Work_folder\fhDOOM-master\build\msvc2015-x86\neo\game\LINK   1

Error   C1083   Cannot open include file: 'afxwin.h': No such file or directory (compiling source file Q:\fhdoom\Work_folder\fhDOOM-master\neo\framework\File.cpp)   TypeInfo   q:\fhdoom\work_folder\fhdoom-master\neo\tools\comafx\StdAfx.h   38

Error   C1083   Cannot open include file: 'afxwin.h': No such file or directory (compiling source file Q:\fhdoom\Work_folder\fhDOOM-master\neo\framework\CVarSystem.cpp)   TypeInfo   q:\fhdoom\work_folder\fhdoom-master\neo\tools\comafx\StdAfx.h   38

Error   C1083   Cannot open include file: 'afxwin.h': No such file or directory (compiling source file Q:\fhdoom\Work_folder\fhDOOM-master\neo\framework\Unzip.cpp)   TypeInfo   q:\fhdoom\work_folder\fhdoom-master\neo\tools\comafx\StdAfx.h   38

Error   C1083   Cannot open include file: 'afxwin.h': No such file or directory (compiling source file Q:\fhdoom\Work_folder\fhDOOM-master\neo\TypeInfo\main.cpp)   TypeInfo   q:\fhdoom\work_folder\fhdoom-master\neo\tools\comafx\StdAfx.h   38

Error   C1083   Cannot open include file: 'afxwin.h': No such file or directory (compiling source file Q:\fhdoom\Work_folder\fhDOOM-master\neo\TypeInfo\TypeInfoGen.cpp)   TypeInfo   q:\fhdoom\work_folder\fhdoom-master\neo\tools\comafx\StdAfx.h   38

Error   C1083   Cannot open include file: 'afxwin.h': No such file or directory (compiling source file Q:\fhdoom\Work_folder\fhDOOM-master\neo\framework\CmdSystem.cpp)   TypeInfo   q:\fhdoom\work_folder\fhdoom-master\neo\tools\comafx\StdAfx.h   38

Error   C1083   Cannot open include file: 'afxwin.h': No such file or directory (compiling source file Q:\fhdoom\Work_folder\fhDOOM-master\neo\framework\FileSystem.cpp)   TypeInfo   q:\fhdoom\work_folder\fhdoom-master\neo\tools\comafx\StdAfx.h   38

Error   C1083   Cannot open include file: 'afxwin.h': No such file or directory   fhDOOM   q:\fhdoom\work_folder\fhdoom-master\neo\tools\comafx\StdAfx.h   38

motorsep

Powers from above signal you to stop fooling around and move on with DOOM 2016!  O:-)

argoon

Quote from: motorsep on December 22, 2016, 02:54:43 PM
Powers from above signal you to stop fooling around and move on with DOOM 2016!  O:-)

Motorsep i appreciate the input you gave me on my grass system but you should stop telling other people what they should do with their free time, if you have nothing better to say then is better to not say anything at all.