News:

One Minute Game Review by The Happy Friar: https://ugetube.com/@OneMinteGameReviews
Also on Rumble: https://rumble.com/c/c-1115371

idTech 4 (aka Doom 3 tech) Discord Server! https://discord.gg/9wtCGHa

Main Menu

Doom3/BFG and Windows 10

Started by oneofthe8devilz, August 20, 2015, 06:49:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oneofthe8devilz

Has anyone so far had the chance to test for any issues regarding running Doom3 and BFG under Windows 10 ?
I got six little friends and they all run faster than you ;)

Check out our mods at
moddb or the SPS Homepage

motorsep

Quote from: oneofthe8devilz on August 20, 2015, 06:49:08 PM
Has anyone so far had the chance to test for any issues regarding Doom3 and BFG under Windows 10 ?

Yeah. AMD crashes randomly. Probably due to video drivers.

romulus_ut3

I'm using Windows 10, and I have both nvidia and AMD GPUs. I haven't had one single crash.

The Happy Friar

Doom 3 1.3.1 runs no problem so far, so does ETQW.

Don't own BFG so I can't test.

Semi-related note, Bioshock 2 liked to crash on Win 10 with DX10 FX enabled.

EDIT: Win 10 64-bit.
AMD HD 7850, Catalyst version 15.7.1

oneofthe8devilz

Sounds like good news then... :) I don't see my self switching anytime soon to Win10 but it is good to know that aside from some potential driver issues, both versions of Doom3 seem to run on the new OS...
I got six little friends and they all run faster than you ;)

Check out our mods at
moddb or the SPS Homepage

argoon

Both games run very well here on W10 and an AMD GPU with latest drivers.

motorsep

Quote from: argoon on August 21, 2015, 07:27:37 AM

What AMD GPU do you have?

argoon

Quote from: motorsep on August 21, 2015, 07:49:55 AM
Quote from: argoon on August 21, 2015, 07:27:37 AM

What AMD GPU do you have?

AMD R9 270X OC

motorsep

Quote from: argoon on August 21, 2015, 09:26:18 AM
AMD R9 270X OC

I have a feeling that HD 7xxx series have faulty hardware, since I hear from various R9 series users that D3BFG (and derivative engines) runs fine on their PCs, and anyone with older GPUs always have had issues with D3BFG and derived games (RAGE and new Wolfs for example).

VGames

Have they fixed the Catalyst AI problem when running Doom 3 mods with custom Open GL stuff on any of the new hardware? Or do u still have to use a workaround?
Get the latest on Perfected Doom 3 here - http://www.moddb.com/mods/perfected-doom-3-version-500

motorsep

Quote from: VGames on August 21, 2015, 10:52:56 AM
Have they fixed the Catalyst AI problem when running Doom 3 mods with custom Open GL stuff on any of the new hardware? Or do u still have to use a workaround?

What GPU do you have ?

bkt

I'd hazard a guess that those ATI issues aren't limited to Windows 10.  I had major problems with ATI GPU based systems throughout the entire development of False Dawn.  In fact, these issues are present in a number of Youtube playthroughs of the shipped version. 

Generally my issues centered around having trouble rendering Sikkmod effects with ATI cards.   However, even when rendering correctly, comparative ATI systems generally performed worse than Nvidia GPU's. 

VGames

Quote from: motorsep on August 21, 2015, 10:54:19 AM
Quote from: VGames on August 21, 2015, 10:52:56 AM

What GPU do you have ?

I've got an ATI HD 5870. There's always been an issue with catalyst AI and mods like Sikkmod that have new OpenGL features. It's always required a workaround with ATI cards. So is this fixed with the latest hardware?
Get the latest on Perfected Doom 3 here - http://www.moddb.com/mods/perfected-doom-3-version-500

argoon

Quote from: bkt on August 21, 2015, 10:54:32 AM
Generally my issues centered around having trouble rendering Sikkmod effects with ATI cards.   However, even when rendering correctly, comparative ATI systems generally performed worse than Nvidia GPU's.

That's caused by catalyst AI, it captures the ARB code and tries to use "optimized" code for AMD cards, it works well for vanilla Doom 3 but causes havoc on custom mods, workarounds for that are, rename the doom 3 exe to DarkAtena.exe or disable C-AI using RadeonPro. About the performance difference between AMD and Nvidia on idtech 4, this is a known old "problem" that is caused in some part by John Carmack using Nvidia friendly code (is not a secret that Carmack add serious problems with ATI after the Doom 3 leak presumably caused by a ATI employee) he also uses OpenGL in a way that AMD seams to have problems with.

On the other end all my AMD GPU's worked very well on the Frictional games Penumbra and Amnesia games and they are also OpenGL. 

motorsep

Quote from: argoon on August 21, 2015, 12:07:24 PM
On the other end all my AMD GPU's worked very well on the Frictional games Penumbra and Amnesia games and they are also OpenGL.

Id Tech 4 (including BFG) has an unorthodox solutions to make sure it performs as fast as it can. Nvidia is not rigid when it comes to high performance, non-compliant code. AMD has always shot itself in the foot by enforcing "clean" OpenGL and disregarding the fact that gamers don't care for "clean" and compliant solutions, and instead they care about performance :)

I doubt that non-AAA engines that use OpenGL have any of the unorthodox solutions. They mostly rely on standard, compliant code well explained in many white papers available online.

Same story with GPU compute. Even Blender is designed to utilize CUDA 100%. Even with AMD involvement OpenCL doesn't work well in Blender.

Pretty sad story with AMD.