News:

One Minute Game Review by The Happy Friar: https://ugetube.com/@OneMinteGameReviews
Also on Rumble: https://rumble.com/c/c-1115371

idTech 4 (aka Doom 3 tech) Discord Server! https://discord.gg/9wtCGHa

Main Menu

DOOM To use idTech 6

Started by Zombie, July 18, 2014, 12:48:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zombie

Sounds good.

The description of the demo sounds like it's going back to fast gameplay and less scary moments, which is great.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/7/17/5913883/doom-4-quakecon-reveal

The Happy Friar

Sounds like Doom gameplay with Brutal Doom enhancements.  Nice.  :)

Thanks for the heads up.

Sir Blackington

Double Jump? If they make the combat encourage fast paced movement with quick melee enemy's and slow moving projectiles, this game will already be worth its weight in gold. Also I guess they're not even bothering with voxelization for idtech 6?

deadite4

I'm surprised the video hasn't leaked out yet.  Been searching around for it.  Anyone seen it yet?

Zombie

Quote from: deadite4 on July 18, 2014, 08:39:24 AM
I'm surprised the video hasn't leaked out yet.  Been searching around for it.  Anyone seen it yet?

I think they pretty much patted everyone down.

But the video will be out soon I guess, they can't keep it away for too long.

AnthonyJ

The question is, what really is idTech6?

Originally JC was saying tech6 was going to be pretty significant changes - virtual geometry etc, and talk of voxel / raytracing research.

Given the apparent meltdown at id, part of me thinks this is really idTech 5.1, with just some improvements to 5 and some pretty artwork, since they always said 5 could be pushed beyond Rage. Wonder if we will hear any details of what's different from 5?

Sir Blackington

I didn't want to say it Anthony, but that's the road I was thinking. It wouldn't make a whole lot of sense for them to just toss idtech 5 out in the trash after so much work was put into it straight from thier wallets. Also I doubt half of the stuff that was mentioned for idtech 6 could even remotly run on xbone and ps4. And then as u mention, the overhaul in staff... As sad as all that stuff is, having a brutal doom 2ish game on a modern engine should soften the blow a great deal

The Happy Friar

To be fair, look at the competition: Valve still uses the same base engine from '04.  Crytek & Epic have nothing earth shattering in their new engines.  From an economics standpoint, why reinvent the wheel for a brand new chrome one when the competition just recoats every year and people are more thrilled vs  your new product?

EDIT: but to me it's the games that matter, not the engine behind them.  My current favorite SP game is Necrovision and I never bothered to look up it's engine.

nbohr1more

It was long told that Rage was on the early Tech 5 and would act as a prototype for the version to ship with Doom 4.
If they scrapped all the Doom 4 work in favor of what they are releasing now, that would be quite some feat.

We'll see.

I also recall Carmack saying that no engine after Tech 5 would be "started from scratch". If he did early dev work
to add Tech 6 prototype features to tech 5 then it's possible that the remaining coders could just cleanup that work
and ship it as Tech 6. (Whether the actual game would actually use those features is another question... )

The Happy Friar

At one time didn't Carmack say he was finishing up the tech for Doom 4 before he'd leave, or working int it long before RAGE was released?

nbohr1more

Seems like it's been confirmed that id tech 6 is indeed what will be used for this product by JC himself (twitter replies according to reddit discussion).
Now I REALLY wanna see gameplay footage...

Badb0y

no stuff was leaked = strange

id tech 6 = what is it
hypothetical carmack could have done some work on the id tech 5 for doom. i dont think right now its a complete new engine.
isnt the voxel idea for id tech 6 old?

>EDIT: but to me it's the games that matter, not the engine behind them. 

sure.
carmack did the engines with their features and the game designers used these features. it is connected. i like engine behaviour in id games. i cant differentiate between gameplay and engine behaviour in id games.

Ark

Anyone know if there gonna remove the megatextures?

Will be interesting to see what the Ex-Crytek guy will do with the rendering side off things, hopefully more Doom 3 than Rage.