News:

One Minute Game Review by The Happy Friar: https://ugetube.com/@OneMinteGameReviews
Also on Rumble: https://rumble.com/c/c-1115371

idTech 4 (aka Doom 3 tech) Discord Server! https://discord.gg/9wtCGHa

Main Menu

SIGIL is available for download

Started by EoceneMiacid, June 06, 2019, 07:35:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EoceneMiacid

Since it wasn't mentioned here yet...

Played it a bunch, well, can't say it motivated me to keep pressing on. Some of the architecture is quite nifty, I'll give it that.
Haven't played it far enough to encounter any Doom II enemies though, are they even in?

LDAsh

It replaces episode 3 in Ultimate Doom as a pwad, for the sake of utilising the ending sequences I believe, so not for Doom II.

I am quite surprised at some of the performance issues.  On one hand, I understand nobody would be playing this on a 486 (except maybe the Nostalgia Nerd) and people wouldn't even notice, but on the other hand I expected it to be on-par with the original game in terms of performance.  I guess I'm nitpicking, but I figured it would have been an important factor from the guy who made most of those original levels.  At least on-par with TNT from Final Doom, which had pretty bad performace in some maps.  I don't know, it's a non-issue if most people are playing it on a Ryzen Threadripper, but it does bother me anyway.  Maybe I would have liked to play it with DSDoom. (*which the NDS could not handle a complete playthrough (of Final Doom) due to poor map optimisation-related performance issues)

xyzz

Quote from: LDAsh on June 06, 2019, 06:20:26 PM
performance issues. ... in terms of performance.... had pretty bad performace in some maps...due to poor map optimisation-related performance issues)

Never had any for the old Doom(s). Played even on my old PC . Risen, Zandorum, ZDoom, GZDoom, Doomsday, Chocolate, Legacy, EDGE, DOSBox. Never encountered performance issues.

LDAsh

I mentioned a 486 and NDS for a reason...
No, you're not going to notice any performance issues on your computer - I am talking about comparatively, by ~'94 standards.
I also mentioned Final Doom for a reason, that even in ~'96 some of those later maps ran pretty choppy, and as I said, make it impossible to play them on DSDoom.

EoceneMiacid

Then again I don't believe there's any WAD out there designed with DSDoom in mind.

LDAsh

You'd be wrong about that.  There are plenty of great maps out there that would run on a 486 just fine and thus a NDS, with a consistent focus on performance.  I don't know why people think that framerate and visibility was never a concern with Doom but suddenly was on Quake 1's arrival.  That doesn't make any sense.

EoceneMiacid

I think we were just too busy being awestruck with the fact we could walk around in a fully texture mapped world for the first time ever. And with Quake, framerate mattered because deathmatch.

motorsep

Quote from: LDAsh on June 06, 2019, 10:23:55 PM
I mentioned a 486 and NDS for a reason...

Why even mention archaic tech that no one uses?! Do you have 486 still operational and running that you play games on regularly ?!

LDAsh

It wasn't that long ago that my old NDS bit the dust, so yeah.

Someone might call it "archaic" junk, but I call it "me playing Doom while you're twiddling your thumbs because your phone battery might die at any moment if you try to play any more Candy Crush".

motorsep

Quote from: LDAsh on June 29, 2019, 01:28:13 PM
It wasn't that long ago that my old NDS bit the dust, so yeah.

Someone might call it "archaic" junk, but I call it "me playing Doom while you're twiddling your thumbs because your phone battery might die at any moment if you try to play any more Candy Crush".

So you are basically saying you don't have a normal modern PC (by modern I mean that can run Doom 3 fine) ?

LDAsh

No I'm not basically saying that at all...  This is really getting derailed, so, if you read again the first couple of posts I made, I already said what I wanted to.  Not interested in the merry-go-round of internet arguments with people who don't read what I originally said and I end up repeating myself.

I said I'm just surprised, I'm not saying it's even that much of a negative (*these days, it would have been 25 years ago, which was my point) or that John Romero deserves to be decapitated and have his head stuck on spike and shuffled away behind a wall.

So, Doom 1 runs great on your Ryzen Threadripper, YEY happy for you!  Not even what I was talking about.  Nevermind.