News:

One Minute Game Review by The Happy Friar: https://ugetube.com/@OneMinteGameReviews
Also on Rumble: https://rumble.com/c/c-1115371

idTech 4 (aka Doom 3 tech) Discord Server! https://discord.gg/9wtCGHa

Main Menu

New Doom (2016) Thread

Started by oneofthe8devilz, June 14, 2015, 11:26:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

motorsep

Could be baked lighting too (high quality megalightmaps maybe? :) )

oneofthe8devilz

Well... I actually noticed some baked in shadows in the Doom Beta so it is quite possible that they decided to fare with a hybrid solution which would explain the extreme HDD space demands.

I am pretty sure a purely real-time based build of the game could be achievable with a space requirement of under 25 GB...
I got six little friends and they all run faster than you ;)

Check out our mods at
moddb or the SPS Homepage

bkt

There's nothing 'extreme' about a modern game using that much HDD space.  Higher Definition 3D assets take up a lot of space, so the more content there is, the bigger the game will be.  Given how cheap storage is these days, combined with the fact that the size of art assets is growing steadily, it's no real surprise that install sizes are growing so much.

It's entirely understandable that some developers are probably opting out of compressing their materials, as long as it fits on the console disc or the cheap mechanical HDD of a PC user.

argoon

Are you serious? Now is ok to make 55GB games!
If all games start being this heavy i will stop buying games online, not everyone has awesome internet you know, i can hardly see a 720p youtube video without stops, imagine downloading 55GB of data for a single game. To me even 20GB is pushing it.   

motorsep

Anyone from Australia / NZ here? It seems that DOOM is already unlocked for that region.

bkt

Quote from: argoon on May 12, 2016, 04:09:30 PM
Are you serious? Now is ok to make 55GB games!
If all games start being this heavy i will stop buying games online, not everyone has awesome internet you know, i can hardly see a 720p youtube video without stops, imagine downloading 55GB of data for a single game. To me even 20GB is pushing it.
It's a good thing then that physical copies are still available.

I've got a good internet connection, so for the most part, physical copies are now clutter I have to clean up in my apartment. 

Obviously digital doesn't suit everybody right now, but as you can still buy the discs, it shouldn't be an issue.  Devs not putting all of the files on those discs, or releasing ridiculously large patches is on them.

So yes, I'm serious, 55GB+ games are fine with me.  If I didn't have fast internet, I'd buy a disc, simple :)

The Happy Friar

Quote from: bkt on May 13, 2016, 10:59:12 AM
So yes, I'm serious, 55GB+ games are fine with me.  If I didn't have fast internet, I'd buy a disc, simple :)

Did you see up some posts when I said Doom is a 45gb download with only 9gb on disc?

I'm @ 19% currently.  This minds me of ROTT's (the DOS one) network messages while waiting for players: "Waiting for player 1 reminds me of shrooms."  :)

It says 15 hours remaining.  Considering my wife works in 12 & she uses the internet, I am not waking up early to play either. 

:goodnight:

oneofthe8devilz

My first thoughts after dipping into the game today:

1. It took about 40 Minutes to download the 43.8 GB digital download !

2. I was left rather unimpressed by the Singleplayer-Campaign visuals even though I am running the game on Ultra Settings.

3. Singleplayer gameplay is nothing really groundbreaking (basically you go from one arena fight to the next).

4. SnapMap was the feature that ultimately convinced me to get the game on release-day since it combines creative gametype generation with cooperative gameplay and it absolutely delivered for me in that regard.

5. I haven't yet tried the classic PVP multiplayer as I already got to playtest it thoroughly through the alpha and beta phases and I am not much of a PVP Multiplayer aficionado.

More impressions to follow later...

Check out our mods at

The Happy Friar

Quote from: oneofthe8devilz on May 13, 2016, 05:26:54 PM
1. It took about 40 Minutes to download the 43.8 GB digital download !

~6 hours after I typed in my steam code that came in my box I'm @ 52%.  I haven't waited this long to play a game when I bought it home since HL2, and that I had preloaded for release.  :/

motorsep

Took me evening and a good half on Friday to download/install it

The Happy Friar

3 hours left but I throttle back in ~15 minutes so my wife can work.  ZZzz......  :p

motorsep

@devil: My old computer can play Doom, imagine that (a bit dialed down). And I don't know if you played the same Doom, but not only the combat is the closest to original Doom you can get nowadays (a bit more of a mix of Doom and Quake), the visuals are really sweet!

I hate MP, so I can't comment on netcode quality.

oneofthe8devilz

Word in the steam forums & reviews is out that the devs have disabled player based dedicated server hosting and bot-support for the public release and the lack of a server browser tool takes away the option to manually search for low latency bethesda hosted servers and so with this "wonderful netcode" people frequently end up playing lag-infested multiplayer sessions...

Check out our mods at

The Happy Friar

Quote from: oneofthe8devilz on May 14, 2016, 05:29:05 AM
Word in the steam forums & reviews is out that the devs have disabled player based dedicated server hosting and bot-support for the public release and the lack of a server browser tool takes away the option to manually search for low latency bethesda hosted servers and so with this "wonderful netcode" people frequently end up playing lag-infested multiplayer sessions...

I didn't read much on Doom before release (still haven't), but I'd consider the dedicated hosting & bot support "old wives tales."  I never read that mentioned in the Beta stuff when I was reading about that, don't remember reading it in the Gameinformer article, don't remember it as a feature when I bought the game.

I never had bad lag when I tried the beta (no worse then other games I'd play occasionally) but let's not forget: just like Doom 3 people were praising it because they wanted to kiss some butt before release. 

I still have to wait 3 more hours to update and by then I might not be home to play, so not sure when I'll get to play today or tomorrow.  :(