News:

One Minute Game Review by The Happy Friar: https://ugetube.com/@OneMinteGameReviews
Also on Rumble: https://rumble.com/c/c-1115371

idTech 4 (aka Doom 3 tech) Discord Server! https://discord.gg/9wtCGHa

Main Menu

The Dark Mod - ID4..?

Started by teh_saccade, July 31, 2016, 08:17:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

teh_saccade

Hi,

Am I right in thinking that The Dark Mod (TDM) uses ID4..?

I've spent a few hundred hours in Dark Radiant (DR) and made a few levels (totally ignored because I guess I ought to have posted them as .pk4 rather than as .map code for testing)

Anything I can't figure out by myself... I just look for, but I can't figure a few things and these things are, apparently, "above their paygrade".

All I'm looking for, really - is to ask the occasional question - most of the stuff I'm trying to do hasn't been in any TDM level and I've had to use wayback machine to access forum posts in order to figure it out.

Am I in the right place to search for scripts and the like? Not stealing anything - just looking for info.

Cheers,

Pete.

The Happy Friar

TDM was based on Doom 3 but now that it's stand alone it's based on the D3 GPL code.

teh_saccade

Thanks for the prompt reply, Happy Friar.

teh_saccade

Wow - minus 5 Karma already... That was quick smiting.

Looks like either some people followed me here, to smite me because they can't damage my rep any further on the TDM forums...

Or, I'm just not gonna be welcome here.

Message received and understood - thanks anyway.

I'll not bother you again.

oneofthe8devilz

Regardless of whatever the story might be behind this topic/user... Friar I think it's safe to say that this forum's "Karma System" is beyond useless in every sense of the word and I think you should remove/disable it...
I got six little friends and they all run faster than you ;)

Check out our mods at
moddb or the SPS Homepage

motorsep

If it's useless, why do you have people bump up yours to be positive, @oneofthe8devilz ?

motorsep

Quote from: teh_saccade on August 01, 2016, 03:55:42 PM

Dude, why do you care ?! If people helping you out, who cares what your carma/stars/rating is.

oneofthe8devilz

Quote from: motorsep on August 01, 2016, 04:48:03 PM
If it's useless, why do you have people bump up yours to be positive, @oneofthe8devilz ?

Yeah right... I "command" my "worshipers" to up-vote me just to have the Karma System removed in the next moment... what a flawed logic  ::)

From the looks of a quick investigation it seems more like it is you who is actually subject of multiple manipulation disputes on the internet/steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/noxteryn/recommended/96200/

So I guess it takes one to know one  :)

God must it be painful not being able to simply delete those reviews/statements about you and your "games" being publicly visible to literally everyone on steam ;D

This deals more damage and punishment to you in a day than I could personally do to you in a year 8)

Check out our mods at

MrC

There ya go, gave ya a Karma. I never even noticed those buttons there, I'll have to run some tests to see how many of these one can give out. I thought it was some sort of automatic system, or like, a eldritch abomination, judging you from behind the curtain of reality.

Anyway, whether teh_saccade returns, I'll just say this for anyone in the same situation: if you have a question, just ask - worst case, you're back where you started. I've found a lot of folks around here are very helpful and knowledgeable, even if everyone doesn't get along, it's still a nice community.

oneofthe8devilz

As ridiculous as it may seem... I have now witnessed multiple people getting discouraged by this pointless karma system. I remember the user zombie having returned to this page after quite a long abstinence just to delete his username/account again shortly after from this site... after receiving multiple negative karma points... after showcasing some of his latest work...

All I have seen that this karma system does, is to keep potentially talented people like zombie away and it is not like we have a huge community to pick from nowadays and so every loss is one too much, especially if it is because of such a pointless and easily avoidable system.

Just because you and I give a shit about it doesn't mean that others do too... so why not simply eliminating a potential cause of user loss ?

Check out our mods at

teh_saccade

I don't care - but it is like walking into a room and 5 people turning their backs on you immediately for asking, "hey, I know it is ID4, but what...? oh, is D3 GPL since standalone - thanks - they don't even know that... doesn't say on their wiki - even one of the forum admins didn't know".

The mods at that forum admit - they do not know any script, which is why they cannot help me - I am doing new things they did not think of because - they do not know...

It is nothing to do with "points" or "flawed logic" - it is to do with being made to feel welcome to a new community.

Which I do not.

So congrats on building a great and welcoming community. It was a big surprise after such a prompt and direct response to the question I posed.

My introduction was "five people don't like you already and one user has made sarcastic comments at you for saying hello and thank you to founding member".

AFAIK - I arrive, 5 ppl say piss off straight away for saying hello - that is what the karma system did when I returned to post my findings, today.
Which I deleted after a few moments of consideration.

I don't ask questions often - I seek answers. If I can't find answers, then I ask. Else why would I be here..?

No-one at TDM could answer for months. So I look to old guard and find instantly by asking.

I found the answers I needed elsewhere - idevnet and modsonline were very helpful with scripting error I had made and didn't see.

Today I learn - 6 people smite me, 1 person pity me. Great. Good job.

-----

Will be looking for that delete account button mentioned.

The Happy Friar

Quote from: oneofthe8devilz on August 01, 2016, 04:35:14 PM
Regardless of whatever the story might be behind this topic/user... Friar I think it's safe to say that this forum's "Karma System" is beyond useless in every sense of the word and I think you should remove/disable it...

it's so useless I don't want to spend time trying to figure out how to disable it.  :)  I ignore it.   I found that pretty easy to do.

Quote from: teh_saccade on August 01, 2016, 07:11:38 PM
I don't care - but it is like walking into a room and 5 people turning their backs on you immediately for asking, "hey, I know it is ID4, but what...? oh, is D3 GPL since standalone - thanks - they don't even know that... doesn't say on their wiki - even one of the forum admins didn't know".

I went to their download page.  Says right on the top.

argoon

Quote from: motorsep on August 01, 2016, 04:49:23 PM
Quote from: teh_saccade on August 01, 2016, 03:55:42 PM

Dude, why do you care ?! If people helping you out, who cares what your carma/stars/rating is.

I'm agreeing with motorsep that is new, but yes teh_saccade forget the carma points everyone here including me have negative points, don't take that so seriously.
Btw i have mapped for TDM as well and some things on TDM are different from Doom3 but not that different that learning one will make you bad on another, for the contrary learning here will help you for TDM and learning on the TDM wiki will help you on Doom 3 modding, they share many of the tutorials.

This link is also very usefull.

https://modwiki.xnet.fi/Doom_3 

Quote from: teh_saccade on August 01, 2016, 07:11:38 PM
...Today I learn - 6 people smite me, 1 person pity me. Great. Good job.

-----

Will be looking for that delete account button mentioned.

Now you are being unreasonable, even after other users including me, asked you to ignore the carma points and even helped you with your question, you come and play the hurted one.
I'm sorry to say but is sad if some lousy negative carma points are enough to make you go way felling hurt.

And this thread and your reaction to the useless carma points is really "Déjà vu", i recall another user having the exact same reaction, makes you wonder... 

caedes

Quote from: The Happy Friar on August 01, 2016, 07:46:22 PM
Quote from: oneofthe8devilz on August 01, 2016, 04:35:14 PM

it's so useless I don't want to spend time trying to figure out how to disable it.  :)  I ignore it.   I found that pretty easy to do.

That's nice for you, but as oneofthe8devilz pointed out apparently some people do mind and feel unwelcome if they get negative karma, especially after only a few posts. Now the second newcomer left because of it.
Please disable it, it's not useful at all, but a great tool to anonymously bully people. (And the atmosphere is negative enough already with motorsep and oneofthe8devilz dissing each other all the time.)

VGames

Everybody give me bad karma so I can whine and quit coming here too.
Get the latest on Perfected Doom 3 here - http://www.moddb.com/mods/perfected-doom-3-version-500