News:

One Minute Game Review by The Happy Friar: https://ugetube.com/@OneMinteGameReviews
Also on Rumble: https://rumble.com/c/c-1115371

idTech 4 (aka Doom 3 tech) Discord Server! https://discord.gg/9wtCGHa

Main Menu

New Doom (2016) Thread

Started by oneofthe8devilz, June 14, 2015, 11:26:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Happy Friar

Quote from: trebor on May 17, 2016, 04:12:48 AM
Friar you should try the D3 BFG edition. Loading times were reduced from 20 seconds to 3 in id tech 5 with the help of the binary formats.

I've thought about it, but I just have a really hard time buying the BFG edition when it doesn't offer anything I want compared to the old one, except something like faster load & fps (which FPS isn't an issue any more on my "new" rig). To me it would be like buying a new car because it gets a couple more MPG, and that's it. 

On the new Doom... wish the shotty fired faster.  My only disappointment so far with the weapons.  I know the original Doom fired faster and that was pretty fun, I'd use it like a drum to keep me moving.  This one's just a tad slower.  :)

motorsep

@THF: too many complains  ::) Have you tried SnapMap yet ?

The Happy Friar

Quote from: motorsep on May 18, 2016, 10:55:29 AM
@THF: too many complains  ::) Have you tried SnapMap yet ?

Nope, enjoying the SP campaign right now.  I'm trying to find all the secrets.

trebor

Some details about the tech:

oneofthe8devilz

Anyone else experiencing the lack of PlayerShadows ?

As you can see I have the setting ticked/checked but still my player doesn't cast any shadows  ???

With Tiago Sousa joining id software I was hoping to see cryengine-esque shadow-shading/filtering techniques in Doom 2016...

...unfortunately I find the shadowmap filtering to be one of the weaker features of the new idtech 6 engine.
I got six little friends and they all run faster than you ;)

Check out our mods at
moddb or the SPS Homepage

VGames

It's probably to keep the 60fps while all the chaos is going on. I'm sure it can be ramped up if a game using the idtech6 engine wasn't as action packed as Doom.
Get the latest on Perfected Doom 3 here - http://www.moddb.com/mods/perfected-doom-3-version-500

motorsep

Quote from: trebor on May 19, 2016, 04:50:28 AM
Some details about the tech:

Tiago just tweeted that id tech 6 is a hybrid forward/deferred rendering engine.

bkt

Quote from: oneofthe8devilz on May 19, 2016, 08:36:48 AM
Anyone else experiencing the lack of PlayerShadows ?

As you can see I have the setting ticked/checked but still my player doesn't cast any shadows  ???

With Tiago Sousa joining id software I was hoping to see cryengine-esque shadow-shading/filtering techniques in Doom 2016...

...unfortunately I find the shadowmap filtering to be one of the weaker features of the new idtech 6 engine.
I'm pretty sure the self shadowing refers to the players weapon models, not the player's model casting a shadow on the environment.

Also, I'm not sure what you're expecting from shadowmaps, because the shadows in the game (especially on higher settings) look great.  Digital Foundry's take on the shadows lines up with what I've seen in game as opposed to them being disappointing.

Overall I don't agree with much of what you've said about the game thus far, it doesn't at all line up with what I've experienced.  The campaign looks great and plays really well.  There's a tonne of fantastic level design on show and I'm already looking forward to my 2nd playthrough.

Different strokes for different folks, that's for sure, but dang, I just dunno what you were expecting.  It's a shame this thread got derailed so hard, I was looking forward to chatting about the new game here.

VGames

Please no spoilers. I still haven't played the game yet.

Soon...  >:D
Get the latest on Perfected Doom 3 here - http://www.moddb.com/mods/perfected-doom-3-version-500

bkt

Quote from: VGames on May 19, 2016, 11:27:09 AM

Fair call.  I'll be sure to keep anything general and ambiguous :)

VGames

The Happy Friar

Quote from: VGames on May 19, 2016, 11:27:09 AM

Well, it's called "Doom" and you're the "Doom Guy" and you fight against "Hell".

Spoiled the whole game for ya right there.  :D

oneofthe8devilz

Quote from: bkt on May 19, 2016, 10:41:34 AM

Also, I'm not sure what you're expecting from shadowmaps, because the shadows in the game (especially on higher settings) look great.  Digital Foundry's take on the shadows lines up with what I've seen in game as opposed to them being disappointing.

Overall I don't agree with much of what you've said about the game thus far, it doesn't at all line up with what I've experienced.  The campaign looks great and plays really well.  There's a tonne of fantastic level design on show and I'm already looking forward to my 2nd playthrough.

Different strokes for different folks, that's for sure, but dang, I just dunno what you were expecting.  It's a shame this thread got derailed so hard, I was looking forward to chatting about the new game here.

I am glad you enjoy it so much and overall reviews show that you are by far not alone...

Since we are supposed to discuss our opinions here, let me try and throw in some quotes that I'd personally agree with about why the game doesn't have me super impressed without spoiling any of the story...

QuoteIt runs really smoothly, is very well optimized and plays just fine.
It has good fast paced action, quick movement, no reloading, etc so there are no full stops or anything during combat. But at the same time there is nothing about it that really stands out, it just feels... generic. The enemies, the environments, the story/background fluff, all of it is just so average.
Not terrible, but not quite good either. It wasn't a very memorable experience for me.

QuoteIn previous Doom games you weren't always in battle. In the new one you go from one fighting arena to the next. Once "arena battle mode" has been triggered you've got to fight! It only opens it's doors and lets you proceed if you've killed ALL current and future spawning in enemies of that arena. In the previous games you could just avoid parts of a level and backtrack in peace to have look around at the level's design.

QuoteAt its worst, Doom is a repetitive series of enclosed rooms filled with demons, all of which you must kill to advance, complemented by a derivative and poorly thought-out multiplayer mode

Anyone care to discuss those points ?

I got six little friends and they all run faster than you ;)

Check out our mods at
moddb or the SPS Homepage

The Happy Friar

Sure.

I admit it's got all the "bullet points" that game dev's want to talk about today & say they have, but the gunplay is far more fun then other shooters I've played in the past several years.   The gunplay reminds me of RAGE, which was it's strongest point imho.  I'm having more fun PLAYING Doom then I did Wolf:TNO, even though TNO had a "better" story, more NPC's, all that stuff.   I (so far) had more fun WATCHING TNO then playing Doom, but I want to play my game, not watch (for comparison, HL2, to me, was the worst SP experience I've ever had).  I'm talking SP here, not MP.  I would of preferred a Doom-Quake-Quake 2 style MP vs more Q3A-but-newer stuff.  Didn't thrill me for Quake 4, doesn't thrill me now.

It seems to combine the "battle area" of a game like Shadow Warrior (new one) & does have the find-the-key & monsters spawning in while wandering around of Doom 1/2.  It also seems that once you do take everyone out you can wander around pretty freely.  This does remind me more of Metroid Prime vs PC shooters, in where you'd enter an area, once you do something be locked down until you clear it out, then doors open.  However, in MP after you clear it out & open the doors, monsters would be back there when you re-entered again.   Would be nice to have random monsters roaming around that are respawned, ala Bioshock, would make it feel more alive.  But Doom never did that, Doom had the "kill everyone for the 100% at the end".  This does that too, instead of just a 100% you get a weapon upgrade token.

Replaying Doom 2 for a bit last night I do notice the contrast: at least in the first several maps of D2 (as far as I played) it's near constant battle from right after you spawn right to the exit. 

Story, I don't mind the lack of it.  To me, Doom/Quake/Quake 2's "you're the last one alive, time to be a badass!" is good enough reason for me to play.  Even the COD games fell down this road: sure there's a "story" but once it got past MW1 or 2 where you were part of a military unit fighting together, it became "time to be a badass!".

For level design, I realized last night that Doom DOES go back to Doom1/2 level design.  It's got the perilous walkways, "jumping" from one place to another, switches, key's, locked doors, rooms that do nothing but give you some ammo/armour/etc.

So I'm liking it. It does remind me of Doom 1/2.  To me, it's the best sequel of a game from my childhood along with DNF.  The difference is DNF isn't PC enough for general audiences any more (but did play like DN3D & was almost a direct sequel) where as Doom toned some things down since '94 as not to piss people off (it seems).  DNF pushed the "appropriate?" envelope while Doom didn't.  Which is fine, Doom does what Doom in 1994 did, there's just a lot more out there now to compare it to.

VGames

When u explain it like that it sounds perfect.