Quake 4 editor not compatable with Win 10... what can I do to make maps?

Started by DeeP, April 13, 2019, 08:39:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeeP

Well, I've hunted the web for an answer to this question... How can I make custom Quake 4 maps on windows 10 pro 64 bit??
Thank you.

The Happy Friar

LDAsh

The Happy Friar

DeeP

Ok thanks guys.
I was under the impression those were mostly Q3... but whatever works with vanilla Q4.... that's what I'm looking 4. It's either that or resurrect another XP machine i guess.  ;D
Thank you.

grml4d

:o
win7 is nice... ...
good luck to get old "missing" softwares "compatibles versions" O:-) C:-) O:-)

EoceneMiacid

Not sure if it's appropriate, but if you want to map for Q4, you may want to wait until Doom 3 Supremacy is released.
It contains all the Quake 4 stuff.

LDAsh

Because Quake IV has some features like lip-sync scripts, distance-culling portals and a couple of MP and AI-related things that Doom3 doesn't have.  These may be reasons why someone would specifically want to use Q4.

I think these days VM/WINE and at least multi-boot different OSes is the way to go.  I will go ahead and say that I don't have a problem with anyone pirating any Microsoft product to use in any way - this company has had enough of our money over the years and is slowly but surely gearing up to be "OS as a service", especially after Windows 7 is dropped hard, which it will be.  If they are so keen to stop people from using their own products, I take that as it being classed as abandonware by their own admission.

EoceneMiacid

I'm on Linux.

Quake 4 has a native port, which works great. Though, as the Windows version, it's unmaintained.
Prey and ETQW have native ports too.

And I use DarkRadiant on Linux as well. Doesn't have some features I wish it did, but it's a solid and very useful map editor.

And Dhewm3 runs smooth as butter on Linux :)

And WINE is just amazing. Just a few more years, and it has caught up, completely. I finished Doom 2016 a bunch of times using Proton (the Valve fork) on Ultra and never dipped below 60fps.

I just buy stuff on Steam without bothering to thoroughly check if it runs properly. If it doesn't, it will someday. Unless the developer chooses to encumber it with aggressive DRM. Looking at you Capcom. (Or id, back when DOOM still had it)

The Happy Friar

EoceneMiacid

That's what I meant.

Doom 3 originally had a CD check, if that counts.

motorsep

The Happy Friar

Quote from: EoceneMiacid on May 24, 2019, 02:02:02 PM
That's what I meant.Doom 3 originally had a CD check, if that counts.
did they remove that in 1.3.1?  My original exe doesn't want the CD.