News:

One Minute Game Review by The Happy Friar: https://ugetube.com/@OneMinteGameReviews
Also on Rumble: https://rumble.com/c/c-1115371

idTech 4 (aka Doom 3 tech) Discord Server! https://discord.gg/9wtCGHa

Main Menu

The Dark Mod - ID4..?

Started by teh_saccade, July 31, 2016, 08:17:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

motorsep

Quote from: oneofthe8devilz on August 01, 2016, 05:40:17 PM

Yeah right... I "command" my "worshipers" to up-vote me just to have the Karma System removed in the next moment... what a flawed logic  ::)

From the looks of a quick investigation it seems more like it is you who is actually subject of multiple manipulation disputes on the internet/steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/noxteryn/recommended/96200/

God must it be painful not being able to simply delete those reviews/statements about you and your "games" being publicly visible to literally everyone on steam ;D

This deals more damage and punishment to you in a day than I could personally do to you in a year 8)

Everyone manipulates reviews. Some to the point of paying large sums of money. Bad publicity is better than none :)  People with leveled head can make up their opinion about the product regardless of reviews. So, don't really care about ratings and reviews. I personally play games for games, even if developers are surrounded by controversy (that's if I like their game).

My game is still selling, 5 years later, despite those mofos trying to bring it down. So technically it's a free advertising I still get ;)

motorsep

Quote from: oneofthe8devilz on August 01, 2016, 06:18:53 PM
As ridiculous as it may seem... I have now witnessed multiple people getting discouraged by this pointless karma system. I remember the user zombie having returned to this page after quite a long abstinence just to delete his username/account again shortly after from this site... after receiving multiple negative karma points... after showcasing some of his latest work...

Meh, sounds like someone has thin skin. He could have just keep showing his stuff, since people positively commented on his work. I guess some creative spirits are too sensitive.

motorsep

Quote from: teh_saccade on August 01, 2016, 07:11:38 PM
No-one at TDM could answer for months. So I look to old guard and find instantly by asking.

That's puzzling. Either TDM has been falling apart or something else is going on. I know I got answers (to some question) there and they weren't even TDM but about Doom 3. Really odd.

LDAsh

If anyone thinks this or the TDM community is rotten, then they don't remember how things were with www.doom3world.org, because this was back in the day when some people honestly believed they were going to become famous and rich by using idTech4 to create a project.  Some folks were outright vicious about it.  The TDM community seems fine to me, they even allow posts that have almost nothing to do with TDM itself but more orientated around DarkRadiant for other projects.  Back when 'BNA!' was running things, it was extremely difficult to get a project cooking because you would be accused of stealing content or using the alpha leak and a thief or ripping off someone's ideas or using too many triangles or whatever excuse to undermine and pull the rug from beneath a project.  The moment you try to defend yourself against accusations it was a downward spiral of off-topic flamewars and personal attacks.  It was really terrible and I'm actually glad to have watched it die, and the fact that it was abandoned like that says a lot about the folks behind the curtains.  Such an elitist community for this technology can't really exist now, I think.  These days I think everyone would be happy enough just to see anything exciting at all and folks would be encouraged for it.

The only problem that this community faces is that when it's not completely silent, it's because oneofthe8devilz is dashing from the shrubbery to clobber Motorsep over the head at every opportunity.

Something like a karma system might be good in some "community gallery" scenario, where higher rated screenshots/videos get automatically bumped, but trying to rate users themselves is fundamentally idiotic, because people hate others automatically for all kinds of reasons, such as my obnoxious-looking clown avatar over there, it seems to have a strange effect on how people read what I type.  I've tested this by using different avatars and I'm certain there is an effect on perception.  Maybe if I had some little Anime girl avatar then people would automatically think I'm innocent and cute, and dive over to their keyboards to help me with any technical issues because there's a chance I might actually be a young female and knock on their door one day, looking exactly like a cute little Anime girl, and say thank you by dropping to my knees and getting my tiny 2-frame lip animations busy.

teh_saccade

Quote from: The Happy Friar on August 01, 2016, 07:46:22 PM
I went to their download page.  Says right on the top.

If it is - it is only because you told me, who then told an admin - I can't see it.

motorsep

Quote from: teh_saccade on August 02, 2016, 04:43:11 PM
Quote from: The Happy Friar on August 01, 2016, 07:46:22 PM
I went to their download page.  Says right on the top.

If it is - it is only because you told me, who then told an admin - I can't see it.

http://www.thedarkmod.com/download-the-mod/ >>>> "The Dark Mod can be installed in Windows and Linux. You no longer need Doom3 to install or play TDM."

It doesn't say that it uses GPL Doom 3 engine or id Tech 4, but when you download it and install it, I assume it's there in the readme or something (or license file).

0x29a

Yeah, I was confused by carma points, too.
I've learned to ignore it once VGames told me that sometimes he just runs through the forums giving random people negative karma for no reason :D

VGames

Quote from: 0x29a on August 07, 2016, 07:04:33 PM
Yeah, I was confused by carma points, too.
I've learned to ignore it once VGames told me that sometimes he just runs through the forums giving random people negative karma for no reason :D

Quiet you!!
Get the latest on Perfected Doom 3 here - http://www.moddb.com/mods/perfected-doom-3-version-500

bitterman

Sorry, a question about topic:

How was implemented the effect of being in the shadow in TDM?

Is it some kind of volumes or areas (common textures)?

Thanks.

nbohr1more

The Light Gem?

One of the early TDM developers found that they could output a screen-capture to memory then
use extensions to the SDK game code to analyze it and use it for a visibility system.

Here is an old explanation:

https://modwiki.xnet.fi/Rendering_with_the_D3_renderengine

LDAsh

I find that really amazing, considering the engine actually does true shadow volumes in which other volumes can exist (something some other more "advanced" engines can't do), when compared with the approach of analysing a screencap, if not every frame then at least often enough to be responsive, and the inaccuracy and overhead that must imply.  I'm not saying it actually is laggy and inaccurate in practice, just that the theory sounds like it would imply that.  It seems a lot more intuitive to just calculate the properties of the volume(s) in which an object is located.

nbohr1more

We also have a simpler math based approach. tdm_lg_weak cvar.

The current (heavy) implementation gathers not only the shadow locations but also
the amount of light produced by the light projection\falloff textures on the player.

It has been speculated that we could improve things by sampling all these textures into low resolution tables then
using that data rather than the more expensive capture\decode operations but this hasn't been tried yet (lots of conversion work).

bitterman

Quote from: nbohr1more on August 08, 2016, 10:38:26 AM

One of the early TDM developers found that they could output a screen-capture to memory then
use extensions to the SDK game code to analyze it and use it for a visibility system.

Do you analyse a brightness of player's environment (pixels in HUD area which was captured from screen)?

E.g. "IF (RGB) around my cursor are (x, y, z) THEN I still in the shadow"?

*************** udp *******************

Not so fast with shadow volumes

QuoteThis fully realtime approach used in Doom 3, combined with the use of shadow volumes permitted more realistic lighting and shadows than in the previous generation of id's engines. The method used to create the shadow volumes is the subject of a patent by Creative, which Creative granted id permission to use in the Doom 3 engine, in exchange for supporting Creative's EAX advanced sound technologies.

Is GPL D3/D3BFG contains a console commands/cvars/scripts to work with shadow volume?