Mars City Security: "It's Done !", Releasedate and Current Build Testing

Started by oneofthe8devilz, August 22, 2015, 02:55:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

motorsep

Quote from: oneofthe8devilz on September 04, 2015, 11:41:33 AM
No MCS binaries have been released to anyone...

The provided gamex86.dll is being released under the D3 1.3.1 SDK conditions like every other mod before.

So the entire networking improvement are all in the game code? o.O

oneofthe8devilz

Quote from: motorsep on September 04, 2015, 11:48:33 AM
So how on Earth could they have played online without binaries? o.O
Can't play game without running .exe and for sure your networking code must have been implemented in the engine at least partially.

Well... it was a hell of a task to implement the changes ONLY using gamecode...  O0

Quote from: motorsep on September 04, 2015, 11:42:58 AM
So the entire networking improvement are all in the game code? o.O

YES.
I got six little friends and they all run faster than you ;)

Check out our mods at
moddb or the SPS Homepage

oneofthe8devilz

Check out our mods at

bkt

Quote from: motorsep on September 04, 2015, 11:35:15 AM
Quote from: oneofthe8devilz on September 04, 2015, 11:31:25 AM
If the campaign is successful, the entire sourcecode including custom MCS Client and Dedicated Server binaries will be released to the public.

Once you release binaries of your mod, you will be legally bound to release source code.

As a matter of fact, anyone who already got binaries of MCS (all the testers) have legal right to receive source code.
As you will be, should you ever release your game.

motorsep

Quote from: bkt on September 04, 2015, 03:28:41 PM
As you will be, should you ever release your game.

I'll make sure to port it to UE4 so you would never see the code  >:D

Jokes aside, I said that from the day one without trying to recoup costs first, and having it as a condition of source release. And you will see the code whether the game will be released or not. Who knows, maybe tomorrow I will let go of game dev for good. What's the point for me not to release the code in that case?

Anyhow, imagine MCS will never get its investment back and thus the code will never be release. Or, imagine code being released, but not under GPL.

oneofthe8devilz

Back then before starting to work on MCS, if someone had offered me to pay to get source access to OpenCoop, I would have paid pretty much any sum without hesitation.

Seeing how all the interesting Doom 3 Coop mods went closed source was a very depressing and exhausting experience for me. It was so tedious during MCS development to "re-invent the wheel" every time knowing that all that work had already been successfully done.

The MCS source will be released sooner or later in any case, I have taken care of that... with the sooner depending on a successful crowdfunding.

Another issue that currently keeps my mind busy is the fact, that MCS now contains a serious chunk of PVP gameplay and with complete source access the doors to custom hacks and cheats would be wide open...

... imagine reviving a small part of the Doom3 multiplayer community just to ruin it with an infestation of hackers and cheaters.

Check out our mods at

motorsep

I doubt there are a lot of people who will go back to Doom 3 just to play MCS. Simply because there are sooooo many games out there people already invested to (time and money wise).

I also think that no one will be porting your code to their own code base as it a way too much work. People would just build upon MCS, which isn't a bad thing for your project's longevity.

bkt

Quote from: motorsep on September 04, 2015, 04:56:00 PMI also think that no one will be porting your code to their own code base as it a way too much work. People would just build upon MCS, which isn't a bad thing for your project's longevity.
Or, they might cherry pick pieces of the source they like and incorporate it into their own GPL project.

Just be wary Devilz, you've put a lot of hardwork into this project.

oneofthe8devilz

I agree, the market is flooded with so many indie games and so many crowdfunding campaigns, it's getting ridiculous...

...to at least have a chance to keep an overview of the current market supply, I myself have to brutally categorize the market with K.O. filters like:

- Singleplayer Only
- Multiplayer Only
- Local COOP Only
- MMO
- Subscription Fees
- F2P
- strong DRM

After applying those excluding filters, you'll realize that whatever is left and survived that aggressive filtering, is not very impressive...

Most remaining filtered titles in my list suffer from:

- bad visuals
- terrible AI behavior and navigation
- hideous netcode
- lack of mod-ability

That realization actually kept me continuing the work on MCS through all those years, since I always kept waiting for the one "Killer-Title" that would make my own work pointless. Sadly that game never appeared for me and so I kept working and MCS got finally into a release-ready state.

Quote from: bkt on September 04, 2015, 05:42:47 PM
Just be wary Devilz, you've put a lot of hardwork into this project.

Thanks for acknowledging the blood, sweat and tears that went into it :)

Check out our mods at

oneofthe8devilz

After All I consider MCS to be a Project FROM the Community FOR the Community.

So many brilliant Doom3 Community programmers and artists were part of MCS's creative process, the outcome still amazes me even though I have sunken several thousand hours into it seeing, playing and developing it on a daily basis.

Maybe some will consider me just a "code monkey" but I had the will, stamina and capability to combine all those unique and different community releases (all amazing on their own) and shape them into something I considered to be the ideal Doom3 experience.

Check out our mods at

motorsep

Quote from: bkt on September 04, 2015, 05:42:47 PM
Or, they might cherry pick pieces of the source they like and incorporate it into their own GPL project.

There is no way to cherry pick networking and coop. Although I see where you are going with this.... Just wonder how is it that we haven't cherry picked anything from any project yet  ???

BielBdeLuna

Quote from: oneofthe8devilz on September 04, 2015, 11:31:25 AM
- Alternative modern renderer path supporting natively current gen features such as "Shadowmapping, SSAO, DOF, HDR, etc".
(...)
- Stereo 3D and VR renderer support

I think that's where a project dedicated exclusively to improve the engine would be much better for everyone.

The Happy Friar

Anyone could start that at any time.  There's no interest.  But....  most of the Doom/Quake/Q2/Q3A engine ports are all based on someone else's engine port so I'd imagine how well THAT would be received by most of the D3 community...   "assimilate"

Phrozo

Had fun plying this last time. Hopefully I can catch you all again soon if we're still play testing.

By the way, I renamed the Doom3.exe and it has resolved most graphical issues for my GPU ( ATI Radeon HD 5700 ).

I've only noticed one issue so far though and it's the plasmagun shooting aimed black squares:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B478ijnYrJu8amM0ZlZzZ2hBa0U