News:

One Minute Game Review by The Happy Friar: https://ugetube.com/@OneMinteGameReviews
Also on Rumble: https://rumble.com/c/c-1115371

idTech 4 (aka Doom 3 tech) Discord Server! https://discord.gg/9wtCGHa

Main Menu

Storm Engine 2 update

Started by motorsep, September 14, 2018, 09:20:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

motorsep

It appeared that SE2 wouldn't build on Windows 10 (and on top of that had some XAudio2 issues). We got a pull request with fixes submitted last night (on github). I'll try merging it today (if not, early next week), but if you want to test it now - it's there: https://github.com/motorsep/StormEngine2

motorsep

All good - SE2 builds with MSVC2017 under Windows 10 fine and runs. Also a lot of warnings that pop up during build process were eliminated.

bitterman

What's changes are needed to adapt some custom d3 and d3xp mods for SE2?

As I remember BFG had a two main problems - binarized assets and swf menu.

Thanks.

Snehk

You'll need to rewrite scripts and shaders (if those mods are based on GPL engine). If the mods have changed menu, then the menu code should be changed and new swf files should be added.

motorsep

Quote from: bitterman on September 17, 2018, 10:20:59 PM
What's changes are needed to adapt some custom d3 and d3xp mods for SE2?

As I remember BFG had a two main problems - binarized assets and swf menu.

Thanks.

Assets are get binarized on initial load by the engine. You still work with old ascii assets during development.

I released source SWF files, so you can make your own SWF menu from scratch using proper tool.

SE2 is mostly good for games that are made from scratch. You can adjust original Doom 3 scripts to run with SE2, but we added a lot of goodies that break stock Doom 3 scripts.

bitterman

Thanks, guys.

I'm looking at some .cpp files in yours /neo/d3xp/script.

RBDOOM changes marked as "//RB".

Are your "goodies" marked somehow?

motorsep

Quote from: bitterman on September 19, 2018, 10:00:56 PM
Thanks, guys.

I'm looking at some .cpp files in yours /neo/d3xp/script.

RBDOOM changes marked as "//RB".

Are your "goodies" marked somehow?

Not everything.. Some programmers didn't want to leave any trace of their work (ex-ID software programmer). But, why?! Just use the engine as-is.

LDAsh

Any information about the latest minimum system requirements for developing with and running the engine?

motorsep

Quote from: LDAsh on September 23, 2018, 04:40:57 AM
Any information about the latest minimum system requirements for developing with and running the engine?

Same as for Doom 3 BFG.. If you can run Doom 3 BFG, you can run SE2..

motorsep

Lol, good ol' id Tech - updated video drivers - now it's crashing on startup  ::)

bitterman

Just as opinion.

I'm really keep in mind possible migration to one of d3 modified engines (like dhewm3, RB or SE2).

It's pity but can find "developer friendly" info about SE2 (not to mention a full presentation with examles etc).
Perhaps a professional programmer sees all changes on the fly but I'm not. Also perhaps you don't needed a followers.

You just say: "Guys, we totally broken some subsystems, documentation are gone but you can use it as is because it's great!" :)

Sorry for any incoveniences.

motorsep

bitterman

Agree. Noob's comment indeed.

This script's incompatible is from RB or from SE2 only?
What kind of changes are there?

P.S. wallrun material and underwater view warping - interesting.

motorsep

Quote from: bitterman on September 24, 2018, 12:00:13 PM
Agree. Noob's comment indeed.

This script's incompatible is from RB or from SE2 only?
What kind of changes are there?

Rb Doom 3 runs Doom 3 BFG content as-is. SE2 has quite a few enhancements so it can't run Doom 3 BFG scripts out of the box. Just compare doom_events and se2_events scripts and you'll find the differences.

bitterman

Win7 64, MSVC 2013 CE:

QuoteError C2065: "XAUDIO_DEBUG_ENGINE" :undeclared identifier.