News:

One Minute Game Review by The Happy Friar: https://ugetube.com/@OneMinteGameReviews
Also on Rumble: https://rumble.com/c/c-1115371

idTech 4 (aka Doom 3 tech) Discord Server! https://discord.gg/9wtCGHa

Main Menu

Lightsaber material in D3

Started by bitterman, March 25, 2017, 07:51:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bitterman

I remember there was a topic on doom3world or somewhere. Few textures and simple table based material shader.
Can anyone give me a direction?

Nice saber was realized in Jedi Academy which is based on Q3, but I don't know where I can find this material in these resources.

Thanks.

bitterman

Looks like this task is more complex. Sorry for this sidestep to Q3.

There are more tuts about how to add/redesign saber, but nothing about how it works.

gfx/effects/sabers/red_glow
{
cull twosided
    {
        map gfx/effects/sabers/red_glow2
        blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ONE
        glow
        rgbGen vertex
    }
}

gfx/effects/sabers/red_line
{
cull twosided
    {
        map gfx/effects/sabers/red_line
        blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ONE
        rgbGen vertex
    }
}

Looks like glow is a particle. Any ideas?

bitterman

Yes, it is possible to realize via particles.
It can be nice if spent more time.
Very powerful tool.

argoon

Yes the particle editor is a complex but powerful tool, but imo not really suited for a light saber, you can easily replicate that Jedi academy light saber setup on idtech 4 or you can use a elongated face (needs to be a quad) with a flare texture on it works like a charm.  :D   

bitterman

Thanks!
Well as I remember one of legendary guys from d3w realized lightsaber in D3 with all appropriate effects.
Perhaps it was IvanB or rich or some else.

argoon

No problem, :)

Personally i don't remember ever seeing a lightsaber in any Doom 3 mod but i don't claim i have played them all.

The Happy Friar

I don't remember a lightsaber either, but it could be done with two particle emitters that stretch the particle & have it change frames for the flicker.

bitterman

Disturbance in the Force feel I ))

motorsep

Lol, what makes you think Jedi Q3 games used particles for lightsabers ?

It's simply a stretched quad with lightsaber beam texture with alpha (and probably image based bloom).

argoon

Quote from: bitterman on March 28, 2017, 11:53:59 AM
Disturbance in the Force feel I ))

Nice job! is that a flare material?

bitterman

Quoteis that a flare material?

Thanks. Not yet. Flare mtl needs to exam.

Quotequad with lightsaber beam texture

All D3 beam mtls looks wrong for me. It don't give a 'wzzzz-wzzzz' feeling ))

motorsep

Quote from: bitterman on March 29, 2017, 08:56:51 PM
All D3 beam mtls looks wrong for me. It don't give a 'wzzzz-wzzzz' feeling ))

Obviously it's not due to limitation of D3 material system ;)

bitterman

Now I think about The Happy Friar advice.

motorsep

Lol, art is not all 1s and 0s. You need to paint beam with glow and alpha, make 3d model (stretched quad with proper UV map), make material for it (which uses painted beam texture) and use animated table to drive flicker. Will be cheaper (performance wise) than particles and look as good or better.

The Happy Friar

Quote from: motorsep on March 30, 2017, 01:24:44 PM
Lol, art is not all 1s and 0s. You need to paint beam with glow and alpha, make 3d model (stretched quad with proper UV map), make material for it (which uses painted beam texture) and use animated table to drive flicker. Will be cheaper (performance wise) than particles and look as good or better.

Best way, yup.  I don't have JK2 any more (not missing that game. :) ) so I can't take a look at how they did it, but the glow is a really important part.  Using one of the graphic enhancement mods for D3 might make up for that with it's post processes effects.