Doom3 running on a Galaxy S5 SmartPhone with fully featured Graphics

Started by oneofthe8devilz, October 24, 2014, 04:43:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oneofthe8devilz

I wonder if that android build supports cross-platform-multiplayer and can cross-connect to PC clients/servers and vice versa ?

Google Store Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.n0n3m4.DIII4A&hl=en

Can anyone of you with a more recent smartphone test and confirm ?
I got six little friends and they all run faster than you ;)

Check out our mods at
moddb or the SPS Homepage

motorsep

Last time I heard about that port it was super slow even on high end Android devices. Mobile port has to have engine threaded to yield decent performance. And as TTimo said, Doom 3 BFG engine is the best suitable for mobile Doom 3 engine. Tr3b began porting RBdoom 3 BFG to mobile, but I don't know how far he got with it.

oneofthe8devilz

Quote from: motorsep on October 24, 2014, 05:06:01 PM
Last time I heard about that port it was super slow even on high end Android devices. Mobile port has to have engine threaded to yield decent performance. And as TTimo said, Doom 3 BFG engine is the best suitable for mobile Doom 3 engine. Tr3b began porting RBdoom 3 BFG to mobile, but I don't know how far he got with it.

Performance-wise, DIII4A looks fine to me on the Galaxy S5 video... and mobile devices keep getting faster.. so why should I bother with D3BFG... in case I am able to get my D3 1.3.1 codebase plus mod specific gamecode to run on android ?

Check out our mods at

oneofthe8devilz

SWEET !

Doom 3 Android Port, Complete with Internet / Network Play

QuoteThe Android Port of Doom 3 requires a high end Android device to play smoothly. A nice bonus is the Doom 3 Android port even has functional network play. I was successfully able to use my Android device to play multiplayer with Doom 3 running on my Windows 8 based PC.

I would say, expecting MCS to be released on Android/Smarthphones is going to be a safe bet ;)

Check out our mods at

motorsep

Quote from: oneofthe8devilz on October 24, 2014, 05:11:45 PM
Performance-wise, DIII4A looks fine to me on the Galaxy S5 video... and mobile devices keep getting faster.. so why should I bother with D3BFG... in case I am able to get my D3 1.3.1 codebase plus mod specific gamecode to run on android ?

Have you looked into Doom 3 BFG code base? (game code) It's almost identical to Doom 3.

But sure, when Android devices will catch up with PC, why not to run old Doom 3 on it :)

However, RBDoom 3 BFG would be much better with modern GLES 3 renderer and multithreaded.