News:

One Minute Game Review by The Happy Friar: https://ugetube.com/@OneMinteGameReviews
Also on Rumble: https://rumble.com/c/c-1115371

idTech 4 (aka Doom 3 tech) Discord Server! https://discord.gg/9wtCGHa

Main Menu

Working with BFG .resources/.crc packages

Started by Radegast, May 20, 2014, 05:15:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trebor

AMD/ATI drivers have always sucked. I'm not sure if the performance will raise a lot even when I install a new AMD card and try to optimize it.
I don't use any special Nvidia intended optimized code. I bet the performance would be awesome on AMD cards if the renderer were running on a DX11 or Mantle backend.
That might be more useful than putting time into AMD OpenGL specific problems.
Actually a DX11 backend shouldn't be difficult to implement even without any wrap crap approaches because the renderer does not use any fixed function pipeline legacy stuff except for some development tool rendering.
The BFG renderer uses very few OpenGL commands.

That AMD does not care about indies is also one of the reasons that I spent a lot of time with the UE4 engine last year. Besides that all Radiant editors are total crap and I hate to work with brushes after learning Blender into the deep.
I'm tired of OpenGL and to care about the renderer stuff while facing the situation that every GFX vendor wants to go back to the 90's and implement their own API instead of fixing their shitty drivers.

However UE4 is only great for artists as UE has always been. It is pure frustration for C++ programmers and the tools are too slow and unstable to work with IMHO :/
One big plus with id Tech 4 is that it comes with several shipped AAA titles were all assets are completely transparent for learning and reconstruction. The UE4 documentation is really poor when you want to implement more than some hello world examples.

I've been working on a commercial C4 engine project for more than 2 years now. I pimped the engine and the tools in all places. We have UE/Unity like workflows and tools and the speed and slickness of id Tech.
Our improved version of the engine is very cool and we achieve visual results similar to Far Cry 3. Too bad I don't want to work with the C4 engine for personal projects because I would have to repeat all the nice stuff I already implemented.

To sum it up. I'm quite busy and I don't have a lot of time for unpaid work to put into maintaining id Tech for other indies. If RBDOOM-3-BFG works for you then it is cool. If not then find someone who can improve it and contribute.

If people don't contribute then I don't care.

romulus_ut3

I appreciate the effort you have already made for the community, Trebor, and I also appreciate for taking the time to respond.

motorsep

Quote from: trebor on February 27, 2015, 04:05:25 AM
Actually a DX11 backend shouldn't be difficult to implement even without any wrap crap approaches because the renderer does not use any fixed function pipeline legacy stuff except for some development tool rendering.
The BFG renderer uses very few OpenGL commands.

To sum it up. I'm quite busy and I don't have a lot of time for unpaid work .....

What would estimate DX11 path implementation time wise and money wise?

romulus_ut3

I sense this thread is heading to a total different direction and I am to blame for it. so I apologize.

Is there anyway to have RBDoom3 bake custom contents directly without having them to load in game?

For instance, I have a bunch of models that are supposed to replace the ones that are in the game, and I want the files to be generated without having to go into the game and have the models/textures etc. loaded.

argoon

Quote from: romulus_ut3 on February 26, 2015, 11:29:11 PM
The issue that was discussed on Github was regarding AMD hardware struggling with RBDoom3BFG when Soft Shadows are turned on. The framerates dip whenever there's a door opened, yet, trebor is running it at a steady 120 fps@1080p with a GTX 660 Ti OC. I can run the game at over 200 frames without AA and no Soft Shadows.

Here's the link to the issue: https://github.com/RobertBeckebans/RBDOOM-3-BFG/issues/211

Ah ok with soft shadows my frame rate does go down considerably just depending the direction i'm looking. For example with soft shadows my frames can sometimes fall has low as 25fps, but i always thought that was because doom3 was not really designed around shadow maps.

Quote from: trevorI've been working on a commercial C4 engine project for more than 2 years now. I pimped the engine and the tools in all places. We have UE/Unity like workflows and tools and the speed and slickness of id Tech.

Sorry for the offtopic guys but Trevor you are working with the C4 engine? Nice, i like that engine, can you tell us what game it is? if not what genre?

qModR

Hi. Which model formats does the engine support? Is ASE supported?
Also when I try to spawn from console more than ~64 zombie_fat the game crashes. Is there some hardcoded limit?
I'm using a binary from #29.

motorsep

It supports ASE, LWO and MD5model

64 zombies is a bit overboard. The engine isn't designed to work with so many characters, unculled. Posting crash report would be handy also.

The Happy Friar

I have D3 (non-BFG) map with ~60 or so fat zombies, it doesn't crash, so it could be a BFG thing or something else is causing it to crash.

qModR

Sorry for off topic. I started a thread about my spawning issue, maybe some of you guys can look into this? Thanks.
http://idtechforums.fuzzylogicinc.com/index.php?topic=198.0

@motorsep
What does unculled mean in context of AI characters? Post in the new thread please.

bkt

Hey all,

Recently I've attempted to run my Doom 3 map in BFG Edition.  I tried to follow tr3bs original instructions in this thread, but to no avail.  When loading the map with 'fs_buildresources 1' I get an error.

QuoteERROR: Joint 'Shoulders' not found for 'head_joint' on 'env_ragdoll_marine_helmet_1'

I'm essentially trying to set it up so I can run my level without needing a GPL build of the .exe.  Is it possible to run any custom content from D3 in the vanilla build of BFG? 

Cheers for any help.

motorsep

Quote from: bkt on March 17, 2015, 10:18:27 AM

I'm essentially trying to set it up so I can run my level without needing a GPL build of the .exe.  Is it possible to run any custom content from D3 in the vanilla build of BFG? 

Cheers for any help.

I don't believe you can run vanilla BFG with custom content. One thing for sure - you have to extract .resources to loose assets. Then you can at least load maps (I recall I could, but I don't remember whether it was vanilla BFG or RBDoom 3 BFG)

bkt

Thanks for that.  Getting RBDoom's no problem for me, I was just hoping I could get the vanilla build running custom content for students.

bkt

I've got my level running RBDoom3.  Now I need to deal with a few unexpected bugs.  There are a lot of missing/changed sound shaders and a couple of unexpected enemy behaviours I've noticed.

Sometime soon I might get around to fixing it up and putting together a BFG release of it.  If I'm super bored I might take a week or two and put together a directors cut (of sorts) :)

Poly_Pusher

I'm having some trouble trying to build resources.  Every time I run fs_buildResources 1 I receive an error stating that fs_buildResources is write protected.  I don't think the folder being used is write protected, protection has been removed for the files in the folders and i don't get any errors writing other things to those folders.  Anyone else run into this or have any advice on how to get around it?  Pretty sure I'm doing something stupid.