News:

One Minute Game Review by The Happy Friar: https://ugetube.com/@OneMinteGameReviews
Also on Rumble: https://rumble.com/c/c-1115371

idTech 4 (aka Doom 3 tech) Discord Server! https://discord.gg/9wtCGHa

Main Menu

Adding Coop to Doom 3

Started by VGames, June 17, 2015, 01:38:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wintch

Sorry, just updated my answer. No i didn't touched the original source, it was just a merge with dhewm3
p/s i don't remember having any issues with missing heads. Maybe since it was based on dhewm3 and not SDK/original Doom3, this just didn't happen to me

EoceneMiacid

Are we starting to see the benefits of the open source philosophy yet?

There's so many cool Doom 3 projects out there, and so many of them are destined to die a slow and unmaintained death, stuck in the realm of 32-bit Windows forever, unable to be enjoyed by non-Windows users.

It's just frustrating to think that a popular feature such as co-op totally exists out there, and that the developer simply cannot be bothered :/

Pretty please, make your projects available for anyone to use and learn from. It's for the benefit of the whole community.

vladdrak

grimm is the best doom 3 mod (since tdm went standalone) and it's open. i'm looking forward to make a mod in the vein of that game one day.

EoceneMiacid

While it's certainly an impressive achievement, I have zero interest in medieval fantasy stuff.

vladdrak

Quote from: EoceneMiacid on June 01, 2016, 07:54:47 PM
While it's certainly an impressive achievement, I have zero interest in medieval fantasy stuff.

it's not the theme i'm most interested in. more like platforming and different movement-related mechanics with constant environmental hazard, threat and traps and a gunplay closest to (modern) Quake. think of portal without the portal gun but with something else i haven't yet thought of. ::)

motorsep

Quote from: EoceneMiacid on June 01, 2016, 07:31:40 PM
Are we starting to see the benefits of the open source philosophy yet?

Not really  ::)

Quote from: EoceneMiacid on June 01, 2016, 07:31:40 PM
It's just frustrating to think that a popular feature such as co-op totally exists out there, and that the developer simply cannot be bothered :/
Pretty please, make your projects available for anyone to use and learn from. It's for the benefit of the whole community.

You got that right. Hopefully he won't ask to be paid several thousand USD to be reimbursed for his troubles and releases it like any normal person would, especially that it's based on open source code (I don't care about old license - code was open to the public, and now is relicensed under GPL).

aphexjh

I support the person who puts up the money to make something they have dreamed about come true. Especially if that person was told time and time again that there was no point, that Doom 3 was not meant to be multiplayer focused.

Would it be nice if he gave away something awesome, sure. Does he have to? Hell no.

I mean you can play mcs, its got all the stuff there for you. Really this person has invested in a product that is valuable, just because its hard to make money off of it right now doesnt mean that it should be free r&d for all. Sure Id gave doom 3 source out, but that was after they made lots of money on it. We aren't entitled to someone elses hard work for nothing.

EoceneMiacid

Quote from: aphexjh on June 02, 2016, 01:31:12 AM
I support the person who puts up the money to make something they have dreamed about come true. Especially if that person was told time and time again that there was no point, that Doom 3 was not meant to be multiplayer focused.

Would it be nice if he gave away something awesome, sure. Does he have to? Hell no.

I mean you can play mcs, its got all the stuff there for you. Really this person has invested in a product that is valuable, just because its hard to make money off of it right now doesnt mean that it should be free r&d for all. Sure Id gave doom 3 source out, but that was after they made lots of money on it. We aren't entitled to someone elses hard work for nothing.

You're probably right in the sense that we are not entitled to it, no. But it's still a backwards and selfish mentality, and ultimately, one that doesn't provide you with a single tangible benefit. Quite the contrary, you condemn the fruits of your labor to a restricted audience and a disposable, finite lifespan. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about this.

And, frankly, right now, MCS isn't any better. Sure, it may come with the promise that the source will be available someday, but until it's up on Github with build instructions, it's just one of countless other mods that's entirely unavailable to people not on the Windows platform.

And to prove I'm practicing what i'm preaching - https://github.com/RalfVB/SQEW-OS, which represents many, many hours of labor.

The Happy Friar

"when I was a kid" just the fact someone took the time to create & give out free content was awesome enough.  I don't remember EVER feeling or reading that someone who released a mod/map/whatever "must give" anything they didn't want to.  I don't remember people upset at that either.  Gamers were more capitalist vs communist "back then" is my theory.

VGames

Yeah nothing has to be shared. Sure it would be nice to have the source and build off of it but the game is there to play already. Heck u can even add to it if u want. And sorry if you're not a windows user. That's on u. Creators of anything don't have to make sure that their work is accessible to everybody. Honestly if my work doesn't reach everybody and if it's lifespan is shortened because of it I could care less. Because I'm making mods for fun and I'm making them for windows.
Get the latest on Perfected Doom 3 here - http://www.moddb.com/mods/perfected-doom-3-version-500

oneofthe8devilz

I am noticing a rising interest in a coop focused idtech4 open source code project solution.

After quickly checking, all former links to the once publicly available opencoop source code seem to have vanished or are broken.

I once created a coop source code "resurrection" thread back on the doom3world.org forum page which by now is defunct.

Today I have re-uploaded that source code and while this may or may not be in consent with the original author "Nicemice", I am relaying the task of further developing, backing this code up and sharing it (on github and whatever places you see fit) to this community here, as I personally at this point in time won't perform further steps.

To download click THIS LINK or head over to http://www.filedropper.com/oc-src

Happy idtech4 coop programming...
I got six little friends and they all run faster than you ;)

Check out our mods at
moddb or the SPS Homepage

EoceneMiacid

Quote from: VGames on June 02, 2016, 08:08:42 AM
Yeah nothing has to be shared. Sure it would be nice to have the source and build off of it but the game is there to play already. Heck u can even add to it if u want. And sorry if you're not a windows user. That's on u. Creators of anything don't have to make sure that their work is accessible to everybody. Honestly if my work doesn't reach everybody and if it's lifespan is shortened because of it I could care less. Because I'm making mods for fun and I'm making them for windows.

That's definitely one of the dumbest things I've read the past few days.
First off, is it really that much trouble to write 'you' correctly? Are you really that incredibly busy that writing 'u' like some social media addicted teen girl makes any sort of difference?

Spelling nazism aside, your post just screams .. a lack of .. thought?
It also irks me that you're willing to participate in a thread called 'growing the community', but you seem to have disdain for that which would effectively grow the community.
'Yeah nothing has to be shared.' Were you stuck without oxygen too long during childbirth or something?...

Because people with this 'for me only, and then only Windows' mindset is one of the biggest contributing factors holding back the growth of this community.

It's smallminded. I bet you're in favor of the War On Drugs too?

VGames

First off I'm at work so I'll take any shortcuts I want when typing on my phone.

Second u just got here so don't talk like you've contributed anything to this community. More then likely you'll fizzle away like so many others. Make something then u can have an opinion about what needs to be done about this community. Right now all I see is somebody trying and failing.
Get the latest on Perfected Doom 3 here - http://www.moddb.com/mods/perfected-doom-3-version-500

EoceneMiacid

Quote from: VGames on June 02, 2016, 09:59:49 AM
More then likely you'll fizzle away like so many others.

Not everyone is gifted with the patience to deal with retards.

VGames

More like not everybody can stick with it. Make something small and then move up to something as ambitious as your goal. Cause at this point the only way it's gonna get done is if everybody here does the work for u. And I doubt any of us have tons of free time to tackle that right now. Especially since u haven't proven yourself yet.

About this coop source devilz, this is basic stuff right? No net code improvements right?