News:

One Minute Game Review by The Happy Friar: https://ugetube.com/@OneMinteGameReviews
Also on Rumble: https://rumble.com/c/c-1115371

idTech 4 (aka Doom 3 tech) Discord Server! https://discord.gg/9wtCGHa

Main Menu

New Doom (2016) Thread

Started by oneofthe8devilz, June 14, 2015, 11:26:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Happy Friar

Farmville style snapmap:
http://www.gamesradar.com/wait-doom-has-a-farming-simulator/?utm_content=buffer75901&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

I haven't done more then load it up, but it seems as versatile (or almost as so) as Super Mario Maker.

oneofthe8devilz

Just finished detoxing this thread...

BloodRayne should do the same to the "Growing the community" thread... and in case he isn't active anymore perhaps Friar should perform that task or assign a neutral moderator.
I got six little friends and they all run faster than you ;)

Check out our mods at
moddb or the SPS Homepage

VGames

Already asked Friar if I could take up that responsibility. I think I'm here more then most.
Get the latest on Perfected Doom 3 here - http://www.moddb.com/mods/perfected-doom-3-version-500

bkt

Quote from: oneofthe8devilz on May 26, 2016, 01:31:54 PM
Just finished detoxing this thread...

BloodRayne should do the same to the "Growing the community" thread... and in case he isn't active anymore perhaps Friar should perform that task or assign a neutral moderator.
To be blunt, some of the comments made in the 'argument' that was removed were not the kind one would expect from a forum moderator.  In any case, I'm glad that saga appears to be over, as it'd be good to get back to discussing the game.

Back on topic:

oneofthe8devilz

Quote from: bkt on May 30, 2016, 03:03:09 PM
To be blunt, some of the comments made in the 'argument' that was removed were not the kind one would expect from a forum moderator.

Why do I get the feeling some people think I would be interested in being a moderator ?

Now when asking Friar to assign a neutral moderator it would make little to no sense to suggest myself (or anyone else involved in the recent clashes for that matter) for that position, would it ?

Quote from: bkt on May 30, 2016, 03:03:09 PM
In any case, I'm glad that saga appears to be over, as it'd be good to get back to discussing the game.

I'd say let's not start sucking each others dicks just yet, as painful experience taught me that the person in question is very likely to return to old habits/behavior quite soon and therefore future clashes are going to be inevitable... thus the need for a neutral moderator to clean up afterwards... 

Check out our mods at

motorsep

I finally finished Doom. Put in 23 hrs on the first playthrough (and still didn't find all secrets or mastered weapons I wanted to master). Super fun in general, but boss battles are sort of grindy. Certainly an areas they need to improve in the future (probably majority of games need to improve boss battles).

Really like new lore/backstory. They should make TV series out if it (without substituting Hell for virus/mutations) :)

Hopefully SP DLCs will come in droves (although highly unlikely) as I really want more of that SP action but in picturesque Hell!

As for idTech 6, I think ID yet again raised quality/performance bar, thanks to new crew and new lead rendering programmer. The game ran smooth on my ancient PC and only slowed down during massive battles (oddly enough a few times it didn't). It was definitely bus/CPU related (AI/collisions most likely).

Tried SnapMap. Controls are awful (probably aimed at console users), layout is 2D (can't stack rooms). I am guessing could be fun due to scripted events and combat situations, and will keep console users busy. Not sure if folks who modded Doom/Quake/Doom3 will like it for long (I haven't really dug into it, so maybe I am missing the depth of SnapMap). Also I don't think it's possible to make a campaign our of several maps.

The Happy Friar

Quote from: motorsep on May 30, 2016, 10:51:30 PM
I finally finished Doom. Put in 23 hrs on the first playthrough (and still didn't find all secrets or mastered weapons I wanted to master). Super fun in general, but boss battles are sort of grindy. Certainly an areas they need to improve in the future (probably majority of games need to improve boss battles).

I'm currently in the destroyed Argent Tower map.  I don't remember any boss battles specifically, are there some up to that point or do they come after?

I felt the Sanctuary Hell map really stepped up the combat intensity.  It's also the first time I've seen demons attacking each other.  Either I never noticed it in the UAC maps or they were to small of areas to let it happen.  Watching a dozen imps vs a Barron or a group of Revenent's vs a Manucubus was pretty neat.

And that new chaingun is awesome.  Just wish it held more ammo, my 210 rounds isn't much.  :)

motorsep

Quote from: The Happy Friar on May 30, 2016, 11:20:49 PM
I'm currently in the destroyed Argent Tower map.  I don't remember any boss battles specifically, are there some up to that point or do they come after?

After. I think they are all at the end, almost one after another.

Quote from: The Happy Friar on May 30, 2016, 11:20:49 PM
And that new chaingun is awesome.  Just wish it held more ammo, my 210 rounds isn't much.  :)

Did you already mod it with all mods ? It's quite deadly when fully modded and mastered (not the turret, but regular mods), even with 210 ammo.

The Happy Friar

Quote from: motorsep on May 30, 2016, 11:39:18 PM
Did you already mod it with all mods ? It's quite deadly when fully modded and mastered (not the turret, but regular mods), even with 210 ammo.

No, not yet.  I got the turret mod & am upgrading that one.  With a Quad it makes quick work of a Baron of Hell.  Pretty awesome!
Save

oneofthe8devilz

DOOM OST Easter Egg - "Cyberdemon" Spectrograph Pentagrams and "666"

Confirming imagery in the Spectral Frequency Display of Audition.

Check out our mods at

The Happy Friar

now that's one easter egg that they went out of their way to create & hide.  :)

EoceneMiacid

Went into the store today and took a good, hard look at a copy of Doom. I'd love to buy it, I've already watched several HD playthroughs of the game and just about every aspect - or at least, most - blows me away. The single player campaign, at least, is something I want to have experienced for myself. Some day.

The problem is, my PC won't cut it. I've got a Lenovo laptop with Intel Haswell chipset, i5 with 8Gb RAM. I'm pretty satisfied with the gaming performance of the thing, but running the New Doom won't be a pleasant experience, and if I get to play it, I want to play it the way it was intended.

And even if it could handle it, it's a Windows-only game. What's especially frustrating is that making it work on Linux or Mac shouldn't take a lot of work (because it uses OpenGL). The beta apparently ran flawlessly out of the proverbial box in Wine without any performance penalty whatsoever, but the final release doesn't because of the DRM :/
It seems the Wine development team is hard at work to rectify the situation, since the latest release already implented a partial fix for some of the DRM issues. So, even if Bethesda may never bother to produce a Linux/Mac port, we still should be able to play the game, someday.

What also bothers me is that it isn't a born-and-bred computer game anymore, but rather a DRM-heavy, Steam-requiring, lowest-common-denominator multiplatform title, and that modding and properly mapping for it is not possible (at the moment, at least). That's what gave the previous Doom games their incredible life span, and the reason why this forum exists :)

Snapmap doesn't look like it'll hold my interest for long, neither does the multiplayer.
So, I'll probably wait for a bit and wait until it comes down in price. Maybe I'll have a better computer by then. If not, I'll probably still buy it, only to own those sweet, sweet assets :)

The Happy Friar

Well, technically, Doom when released, had no map/mod support.  Players had to make the tools first, until id release a map & wad editor.  I didn't even know they release their own stuff until after Quake was released.  so, in a way, it's back to 1993 with mod/map support, except now they have a built in map editor (which seems more popular then any recent id game's mapping scene).

EoceneMiacid

Quote from: The Happy Friar on June 01, 2016, 09:14:21 PM
Well, technically, Doom when released, had no map/mod support.  Players had to make the tools first, until id release a map & wad editor.  I didn't even know they release their own stuff until after Quake was released.  so, in a way, it's back to 1993 with mod/map support, except now they have a built in map editor (which seems more popular then any recent id game's mapping scene).

Well of course, since it's modern tech, and easily accessible to everyone.
But gluing prefab rooms together along with some room to tweak the game logic won't stretch the game's lifespan for very long.

The Happy Friar

It's MP lifespan is already longer then Rage & definitely longer then Wolf TNO.  :)

I'm seeing some really neat stuff done with the limitations of snapmap.  I don't want to get involved until I'm done with the SP campaign because I'm afraid I'd rather do that vs SP.