News:

One Minute Game Review by The Happy Friar: https://ugetube.com/@OneMinteGameReviews
Also on Rumble: https://rumble.com/c/c-1115371

idTech 4 (aka Doom 3 tech) Discord Server! https://discord.gg/9wtCGHa

Main Menu

Water Mod

Started by Zombie, June 09, 2014, 07:51:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zombie

Does any one know where I can get a water mod from, possibly with source code?

The Happy Friar

I want to say I have it someone on a DVD, I'll look in the morning.

Zombie

So I managed to find that X-MASS mod which has water in it. It was made by quite a few different people.

The only thing that is missing really is when you jump in to the water they didn't set screen shader (influence) for when you're under water, which is a shame, because it works pretty damn well otherwise.

motorsep

TheDarkMod has most complete and advanced water physics. The rest of what's out there is buggy and incomplete.

Sir Blackington

Btw, anyone know how the water reflection works in quake wars, and why your weapon incorrectly effects it? I understand if you don't feel like posting a complete answer, a hotlink to somewhere that does would be bce though

motorsep

Quote from: Sir Blackington on June 10, 2014, 09:22:20 AM
Btw, anyone know how the water reflection works in quake wars, and why your weapon incorrectly effects it? I understand if you don't feel like posting a complete answer, a hotlink to somewhere that does would be bce though

Can you post a screenshot showing what's wrong with reflection?

Zombie

Quote from: Sir Blackington on June 10, 2014, 09:22:20 AM

What usually happens is the water is capturing what is on screen, including the environment and weapon, so your gun is also captured.

We did make it so we could mask out the weapon, but it was too expensive at the time.

Didn't realise anyone still played ETQW :D

motorsep

Quote from: Zombie on June 10, 2014, 10:00:31 AM
What usually happens is the water is capturing what is on screen, including the environment and weapon, so your gun is also captured.

We did make it so we could mask out the weapon, but it was too expensive at the time.

Didn't realise anyone still played ETQW :D

Is it the same in Doom 3 ?

The Happy Friar

Same as any game that I can think of: whatever is next to the water-effect is also affected by the water effect.  Are there any games that don't have this happen?

motorsep

I personally don't get that the issue is without seeing a screenshot :)

Is it seeing view weapon reflection?

Sir Blackington

At work, ill post a screenshot when I get home. And I wish people still played it, I only downloaded the demo. Tried to buy the full game a few months back so I could use thier sdk, but you can't even get a copy anymore

The Happy Friar

I got a replacement off ebay.  Only way to get it now.  Best team shooter since Unreal's Assault imho.  Others just feel lame compared to it.

It's my kids favorite shooter too.

Sir Blackington

etqw was alot of fun when i played the demo, (at the time, only like 2 servers with a reasonable ping ever had people on it because I found out about the demo VERY late), and it seems people forget the stuff they did with idtech4 in that game. The water in the game looks decent enough, its just that once I noticed this, I havnt been able to keep my eyes off of it.
As you can see, around the border of the rifle where it meets the water, the water is trying to reflect it even though it shouldn't. This can happen even when your very far away from the water. What makes this more puzzling is that the weapon on screen isn't in world space, just screen space, so the water reflection is purely a screen space thing? Also I thought this game only used shadow volumes, not shadow mapping, then baked the other stuff like shadows from foliage and other alpha stuff into the megatexture. Thing is, I saw a large trees leaves casting very feint and soft appearing real time shadow on the ground. Am I completely wrong and not making much sense? wouldn't be the first time.

Zombie

The trees have a light sitting in them with a projected image of a tree shadow, so it looks like soft shadows.

We baked the tree stump shadow in to the megatexture (I think?) been a while since I've looked at it.

The wobbles around the weapon were as I described earlier, it was pretty common to have that back then due to performance.

Sir Blackington

Lol so I was completly off, clever stuff still, I feel bad that I didn't think of that since I was looking up right when d3w went down how strombine faked its gi (same deal as the trees). Thanks for the explination, was bugging me when I saw it