News:

One Minute Game Review by The Happy Friar: https://ugetube.com/@OneMinteGameReviews
Also on Rumble: https://rumble.com/c/c-1115371

idTech 4 (aka Doom 3 tech) Discord Server! https://discord.gg/9wtCGHa

Main Menu

Throw grenade script

Started by EoceneMiacid, May 22, 2016, 06:43:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EoceneMiacid

Hi,

I decided to venture into Doom³ modding.

I feel the engine has a lot of potential, and deserves a wider audience than what it has now, especially since we've had a quality open source port for a while, and cheap low-to-mid-end computers run the game well.

I believe a key element in reviving interest in Doom³ is a killer app mod.
Sort of like what the controversial Brutal Doom did for the Doom scene; getting enough people to take notice and inspire the development of new projects.

So, I have decided to start development on this mod. It will aim to make Doom³ a totally hypercharged, balls-to-the-wall power trip. I hope I'll get it to live up to the expectations that come with a Doom game.

One of the things I would like to implement first is the ability to throw grenades any time, which is a feature I like having in other FPS games, including the New Doom :)

So, being a Doom³ modding newbie, I assume I will need to bind a key to launching a script that will:

- Quickly lower the selected weapon
- Switch to and throw a grenade, if you have any
- Switch to and raise the previously selected weapon

Perhaps at a later stage, this can be modified so the player won't need to lower his weapon at all and uses the other arm to arm and throw the grenade, but I don't think that will be trivial, since it will likely require the creation or modification of model animations, which I'm only going to concern myself with after sufficiently understanding the basics.

So my question is: how do I create such a script, where does it go, how do I execute it and what does it need to contain, roughly?

vladdrak

"I feel the engine has a lot of potential, and deserves a wider audience than what it has now, especially since we've had a quality open source port for a while, and cheap low-to-mid-end computers run the game well.

I believe a key element in reviving interest in Doom³ is a killer app mod.
Sort of like what the controversial Brutal Doom did for the Doom scene"

the doom scene is where it is because of the endless ocean of custom content, fun multiplayer & easy-to-use editing tools. brutal doom appeals only the 12 year-old psychopaths imho. right now doom 3 has like 0.1% of what's available for doom-based projects. it's not stock doom3 that needs to be revived (it's just a black box causing severe claustrophobia really). for starters, we'd need a distribution system such as gauge (for goldsource/source) or tdm's built-in mission-downloader for easier custom map-accessibility, new & updated tutorials, fun multiplayer modes/maps. if all that people can do is coming up with some gpu-rapist particle effect every once a year then it will die to death this decade for sure.

vladdrak

this is a bit off and many of you will find it stupid, but here i go:
any of you guys find it possible to crowdfund-purchase the wolfenstein (2009) engine from bethesda? by purchasing i, of course, mean that they would put it under GPL. not that they would ever use or license it again. imagine if someone could port doom3 to it.

The Happy Friar

I happen to like brutal doom very much and I am neither 12 nor a psychopath.

:fatty:

EoceneMiacid

Thanks for the replies, guys.

So, how about my question? How can I map a key to throwing a grenade?

The Happy Friar

You could keep the grenade bound to the key it is (or just change in the menu) and change the grenade script so that it automatically tosses the 'nade when you select it.  The only issue with that is that Doom3 grenades can be "cooked", so you might want to remove that so it just throws.

vladdrak

Quote from: The Happy Friar on May 22, 2016, 07:24:27 PM
I happen to like brutal doom very much and I am neither 12 nor a psychopath.

:fatty:

obviously it was a broad generalization.

VGames

I love it too. Best Doom 1/2 mod ever IMO. My son loves it too. He's only 8.
Get the latest on Perfected Doom 3 here - http://www.moddb.com/mods/perfected-doom-3-version-500