News:

One Minute Game Review by The Happy Friar: https://ugetube.com/@OneMinteGameReviews
Also on Rumble: https://rumble.com/c/c-1115371

idTech 4 (aka Doom 3 tech) Discord Server! https://discord.gg/9wtCGHa

Main Menu

So, the community dissolved??

Started by BloodRayne, August 08, 2014, 04:51:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BloodRayne

What happened?

I have been in contact with BNA! up until around 4 months ago. He mailed me, swearing the board would be up and running 'soon' but I haven't heard since. Just found this board, but not many posters yet I see.

Anyway, I'll be checking in now and then. In the meantime, anyone have some more info on D3World and what happened, besides there was a DOS attack?

BR

The Happy Friar

Nope, no other information.  I'm dissapointed to see D3W go but BNA! volunteered a lot of time and resources for the game we enjoy, so I'm hoping he's enjoying time with his wife and kids.  He deserves it.

I'd offer him and his family dinner at my place if he was ever in town as thanks.   :magicpony:

BloodRayne

I saw the domain is still registered though. The last info I got from BNA was this:

QuoteI only got a ten minute warning by the host and that exact moment I was getting a root canal treatment.
Can't say which one in this second was more painful - losing 14 years of work or having someone poking a nerve.

Due to the ModWiki bust up I could neither download the MySQL DB for backup nor upgrade the server administration software.

I believe the server got compromised through an outdated Plesk control panel and they used it as a zombie for a DDOS attack.
As soon as the hosting company got notified they just pulled the plug - which of course is the only thing they can do.
So I cannot get to the server at all and they don't want to send me 150GB or put it somewhere for download - for now.
D3W is just 400 mb or so, but it needs to get weeded out from the rest of the mess.

Since a DDOS was the culprit there is an almost zero chance they wanted to screw the DB's up. Zombies are only worthwhile for as long as the owner doesn't realise where the extra computing power goes. This makes me very confident I can bring back the server soon in a clean state.

I don't know Databases as good as you do, but I feel confident to be able to find the d3w_ prefixed tables - and that's all there is in terms of weeding out... For ModWiki, I don' t know. I'll most likely need your help give the original registrar (ice heart) isn't overly approachable or accessible - this is not meant to be read as uncooperative, unfriendly or hostile - quite the difference.

I'll put a message up on my Moddb profile pointing here for now, perhaps that will get some of the posers back here.
Perhaps we can find contact with ice_heart the original owner of the webspace for Doom3World.

motorsep

It's gone, not coming back - just let it go :)

This is a new place. Can't say it's a new beginning, but something is better than nothing.

Zombie

Quote from: motorsep on August 09, 2014, 10:59:22 AM
It's gone, not coming back - just let it go :)

This is a new place. Can't say it's a new beginning, but something is better than nothing.

I don't know why you need to come in with that sort of toxic attitude.

We're building a nice friendly community here, we don't need that sort of attitude.

Please keep it friendly.

motorsep

The Happy Friar

I didn't take it as unfriendly or hostile.   :) said that.   O0

But it is gone, that seems to be nearly a fact.  I just checked and this forum's DB was being backed up weekly and saved up to 4 old backups.  Now it's nightly with 6 saved backups.  EarthQuake is the same.  The db's are named different too and I periodically take EarthQuake and id tech forums and backup them up to my computer.  As long as I reinstall the same blog/forum software it should be as simple as dropping files back in to restore them.

BloodRayne

Hey, is it possible to remove the Image verification underneath EACH post for me?
It's hard to read and it sometimes takes multiple tries. :D

I think I'll write BNA once more just to ask a final 'verdict' regarding D3World.
If he's not planning anything else I'll try to get some traffic here and let's see if we can get this community up and running.

The Happy Friar

Quote from: BloodRayne on August 10, 2014, 05:12:17 AM
Hey, is it possible to remove the Image verification underneath EACH post for me?
It's hard to read and it sometimes takes multiple tries. :D

Should only have you do it three times.  I did that to cut down on the spam and ever since I required the image verification for the first several posts I've had NO spammers post here.

If it happens on your next post let me know, but you should be free of it now.  I'll also look at the size of the images, if I can make them larger.

BloodRayne

Thanks, I noticed on the third post, thought it was you.
Thanks! :)

I'll get more active soon.

bkt

Also worth noting is that it seems like Sikkpin is just as gone as D3W.  I was in regular contact with him, working on finishing things up for False Dawn when both he and D3W went dark.

The Happy Friar

Quote from: bkt on August 12, 2014, 01:46:48 AM
Also worth noting is that it seems like Sikkpin is just as gone as D3W.  I was in regular contact with him, working on finishing things up for False Dawn when both he and D3W went dark.
Maybe Sikkpin was an AI construct running on the D3W server.   :o

The Happy Friar

Finally removed my Doom 3 World shortcut from my FireFox shortcut bar. 

BloodRayne

Quote from: The Happy Friar on August 16, 2014, 10:08:02 AM
Finally removed my Doom 3 World shortcut from my FireFox shortcut bar.

Blasphemous! I religiously check it every day. ;)

The Happy Friar

I increased the font size of firefox's menu/url/bookmark bar so it's easier to use with touch, something had to go.   :alien: