News:

One Minute Game Review by The Happy Friar: https://ugetube.com/@OneMinteGameReviews
Also on Rumble: https://rumble.com/c/c-1115371

idTech 4 (aka Doom 3 tech) Discord Server! https://discord.gg/9wtCGHa

Main Menu

Re: Quake 4 weapons and enemies in Doom 3 (WIP)

Started by EoceneMiacid, November 25, 2018, 09:31:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bitterman

Is it glow on last picture?

What D3 engine do you use?

By the way - good job :)

EoceneMiacid

You mean the Gladiator's shield? There are probably still some shader issues left with that one, but I'll give it a closer look soon.

I'm running dhewm3.

And thanks.

bitterman

Shield is looks like semi-transparent image.

These blue and red lights on the body of npcs which are glowing in shadow - as I remember they maked via glow map in Q4, and it was a new stage in this game instead of D3.

EoceneMiacid

Some of the newer additions....

Tactical Transfer

These guys were challenging, since they're essentially reskins of the NPC marines, with resources strewn all over the goddamn place as you've come to expect from idTech4 games... weapon models aren't entirely correct yet, they can carry machineguns, shotguns, hyperblasters or railguns, but the model doesn't reflect it correctly at the moment. Plus side is that I have Quake 4 NPC's nearly working :)

And then there's...

Makron

Seems mostly correct. This guy can fire a ton of different projectiles. Should be fun writing AI for.

Also

Boss Buddy

I really like the detail on this guy. He actually has a separate head model, which I suppose you can have some fun with :)
He also reminds me that I need to define a new material, 'energy', and some nice particle effects if you shoot it :)

Progress continues on Prey as well, but it's still a little too early to show.

I also began importing map objects from Quake 4. Methinks I'm going to take a thorough look at the walker mech :)

EoceneMiacid

Fixed heaps of errors today

Also added the

Scientist

And the

Light Tank

EoceneMiacid

EoceneMiacid

Say hello to the Hound:

Once again, their style fits rights in with Doom 3 and Quake 4 :)

Expect more pictures of working Prey monsters later today.

The Happy Friar

this thread makes me want to reinstall q4 & prey & play those again.

EoceneMiacid

Both great games, but I cannot bring myself to play them for very long. I'm stuck in the 'floating orb'-bit in Prey and always get bored before I can find the exit. I should persist though, since I remember some pretty cool (read: messed up) stuff happening later in the game.

In the meantime, I've hooked up some basic AI for some of the monsters - the Strogg Berserker now actively chases you and attempts to pummel you with melee attacks. Seems pretty spot-on when I compare him to his behavior in Quake 4. Later down the road, I'll take a closer look at the Quake 4 SDK, and see if any useful knowledge can be extracted from that.

Once everything works, I'll package everything up nicely into an assets pack, for the community to go nuts with.

The problem is that I need some cooperation from the maintainer of dhewm3 first.

EoceneMiacid

Here's the Walker :)

Doom 3 doesn't support vehicles out of the box, but apparently has some support for it in the SDK, so until I get that going I've made this guy an AI-controlled ally :) any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

Plenty more to come...

motorsep

I am pretty sure that as soon as Beth and/or Activision find out about what you are doing, they will slam you with C&D letter (especially if you release anything for Doom 3 with Quake 4 assets).

Other than that it looks cool :)

EoceneMiacid

I thought about that, but I don't know. There are countless mods out there that are entirely comprised of proprietary assets.

I suppose what I could do is if I want to release it, is to do so without the actual models, textures and sounds - you'd have to provide those yourself. I doubt there's any strictly enforced copyright on the text definition files, since they barely resemble the ones they were derived from - some of them required a total rewrite, pretty much.

EoceneMiacid

A few more things I'm working on...

And here we have the Quake 4 marine (again, minus head)

Quake 4 and Prey also come with a ton of nicely modeled map objects to spice up your maps, and they're quite interchangeable.

Here's the Brainstalk from Q4:

(Though the actual brain is not visible atm)

EoceneMiacid

Taking a small break, worked on this thing for 2 consecutive weeks non-stop pretty much (got a lot of free time currently).

After that I'll resume work, finishing the Quake and Prey stuff. Next up is ETQW. After that, there are two other idTech4 games; Wolfenstein and Brink. Would be cool to have their assets in here as well, no?

Huge idTech4 sandbox mod :)

The Happy Friar

Quote from: EoceneMiacid on November 30, 2018, 10:15:26 AM
I suppose what I could do is if I want to release it, is to do so without the actual models, textures and sounds - you'd have to provide those yourself. I doubt there's any strictly enforced copyright on the text definition files, since they barely resemble the ones they were derived from - some of them required a total rewrite, pretty much.
That would be the best way to do it.  Beth might still complain, but if it's the "I'm not providing any assets, people use their own" I'm not sure what they could do.
Personally, I found Prey better then Q4, but I still found Q4 a lot of fun (I could do almost the entire game with the machinegun after some upgrades).
ETQW models are binarized, so unless you could get binariaration support in the D3 GPL, odds are you won't be able to use them w/o sharing assets.  Brink is the same way.  Kind of like a step between Doom 3 & D3BFG.  :)