News:

One Minute Game Review by The Happy Friar: https://ugetube.com/@OneMinteGameReviews
Also on Rumble: https://rumble.com/c/c-1115371

idTech 4 (aka Doom 3 tech) Discord Server! https://discord.gg/9wtCGHa

Main Menu

Growing the community

Started by BloodRayne, August 08, 2015, 02:43:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VGames

I use ModDB that's why nothing I have is on github. When I release my source I will include a tutorial on how to set it up and compile it and what software I use to do so.

Phrozo I'm sure you didn't add so much to the source to not go back and port it all over to Sikkmod source. I did it for ROE and I even transferred all of Sikkmod 1.2 content over to ROE Sikkmod 1.1. So its not that tough. Just time consuming. If u want attention for your work then make the transfer. I think many would be happy u did.
Get the latest on Perfected Doom 3 here - http://www.moddb.com/mods/perfected-doom-3-version-500

oneofthe8devilz

This community seems to be broken to the bone to the point where it simply stops being fun to post or share anything with anyone here.

Instead one has to constantly fight its way through a small group of trolls while most of the time seriously questioning the cost-benefit ratio. It's usually a bad sign if talking about your work costs almost as much effort as actually working on it.

Many guys like me here are not driven by the delusion to compete with AAA companies and titles nor do we chase the highly unrealistic illusion to become commercially successful indie companies.

We create Mods and Total Conversions for the very same reason that got us into modding games in the first place: To enjoy our creations with relatives, friends and people online (who potentially can become new friends in the process).

And yet a small group of guys here tries to force its "backwards-assed" views and beliefs of how mods, total conversions and game projects are supposed to be made, released and open-sourced without having achieved anything of significance themselves.

I got six little friends and they all run faster than you ;)

Check out our mods at
moddb or the SPS Homepage

vladdrak

off: i wonder how something such as sven coop could be made for doom3. MCS has advanced netcode, right? couldn't that be a base for a project like that? look at the source engine. its greatest achievement is garry's mod. people love doom/quake/half-life not because of the main game, but rather because they see them as a sandboxing tool. that's what we need. alas it requires dedicated engineers on board for that to achieve. if that doesn't lead to a drastic change as far as the community growth goes, than nothing ever will. that way doom3 has a chance to ascend into the oldiebutgoldie-state.
(phrozo's tweaks would also make a nice foundation imho.)

EoceneMiacid

Quote from: vladdrak on May 27, 2016, 06:39:35 AM
off: i wonder how something such as sven coop could be made for doom3. MCS has advanced netcode, right? couldn't that be a base for a project like that? look at the source engine. its greatest achievement is garry's mod. people love doom/quake/half-life not because of the main game, but rather because they see them as a sandboxing tool. that's what we need. alas it requires dedicated engineers on board for that to achieve. if that doesn't lead to a drastic change as far as the community growth goes, than nothing ever will.
(phrozo's tweaks also would make a nice foundation)

Good call. That's what I have in my mind as well, to make Doom3 a sandbox experience, akin to GMod.

Ideally, it would combine all the best features from every mod out there, while remaining fully modular. Every feature should be standalone and optional, and easily configurable from within Doom3, with full credits to each individual developer.

Every module would come in it's own .pk4 file.

- coop.pk4 (adds co-op feature from OpenCoop or Last Man Standing)
- bots.pk4 (adds bot support)
- textures.pk4 (hi-res textures)
- gfx.pk4 (improved shaders and effects from Sikkmod, Phrozo's stuff)
- weapons.pk4 (tweaks all the guns, with faster weapon switching and reload animations, iron sights, alternate fire, punchier sounds, grenade throw hotkey...)
- monsters.pk4 (faster monsters, improved AI, higher damage output, better sounds)
- melee.pk4 (improved melee combat, akin to Doom 4's glory kills)
- gore.pk4 (improved blood and gore)
- quake4.pk4 (Quake 4 content)
- prey.pk4 (Prey content)
- etqw.pk4 (ETQW content)
- maps.pk4 ('Official' map pack, developed with the improved features in mind)
- music.pk4 (Doom 4 soundtrack)

And, importantly, the project would be fully open and inviting to people wanting to contribute. Everybody would win, and Doom 3 will be an awesome, open, and fully free gaming experience (provided you have the content)

Then all we need is a decent trailer on Youtube, which is so good that word of mouth starts spreading.

This is what Doom 3 needs. Plain and simple.

A lot of the required content is already out there. The biggest challenge will be to convince the original developers to donate their code to the larger cause.

Let's see anyone disagree with this.

vladdrak

i second all of the above.
Quoteand Doom 3 will be an awesome, open, and fully free gaming experience (provided you have the content).
the funny thing is that as far as 3d-rendition + speed + modularity + portability + foss go, doom3 is already/still the best. it's a goldmine actually.

for starters we should open a Tools/Utils thread i guess, followed by Tuts and Techniques.

The Happy Friar

Well, I cleaned out the thread of non-growing type stuff.   Please keep things civil.  Thanks kids.

aphexjh

Quote from: EoceneMiacid on May 27, 2016, 07:23:38 AM
- quake4.pk4 (Quake 4 content)
- prey.pk4 (Prey content)
- etqw.pk4 (ETQW content)
- music.pk4 (Doom 4 soundtrack)

I believe using and sharing assets from games we may or may not own is bogus. This is not what a mod community is.

I acknowledge that mods have done this kind of thing before, but I would never be part of something like that.

If there were some way to verify that people own the games that they are using content from, that would be fine, but there won't be and let's be honest, that's not the intention.

**edit**

I don't mean to disagree with your point generally. Apart from the part about distributing copyrighted material, I think the idea about modular .pk4's is a good one.

EoceneMiacid

Should have elaborated further.

quake4.pk4, prey.pk4 and etqw.pk4 would serve as an interface to an existing installation of that particular game.

It adds an extra tab to the options window, where the path to the base folder of that game must be entered. That content would then be made available in Doom3.

The paks themselves wouldn't contain the assets, because that's clearly a violation.

aphexjh

Oh, cool then. Yes that would be pretty neat indeed. I am curious if there are compatibility issues between the different games' content? Would you basically be making new entity definitions and script objects in the Doom 3 mod paks that would access the external assets? I would be interested to see this work. I would also make sure that all the companies were cool with this.

The Happy Friar

All the id tech 4 games used different basic assets with some exceptions (like noclip/clip textures, some script/def names, etc).  I'm thinking the biggest issue is that, unlike Doom 2 engine which ran everything Doom did, ETQW is different from Quake 4 which is different then Doom3/Prey which is different from Brink engine's.  You'd need the features of all the games in one exe which Doom1/2 didn't need to do.  That could be a programming nightmare. 

vladdrak

you might wanna add Wolfenstein 2009

argoon

Quote from: The Happy Friar on May 27, 2016, 08:49:05 AM
Well, I cleaned out the thread of non-growing type stuff.   Please keep things civil.  Thanks kids.

Thank you and sorry for my reaction is not everyday that i behave like that. 

oneofthe8devilz

Though I agree with what Friar said about the technical realization of such a project, I'd welcome anything that bears the potential of growing this community.

I personally think the idea of an idtech4 starter devkit a la "building a devkit for GPL" could also suit as a promising way to attract more people to idtech4.
I got six little friends and they all run faster than you ;)

Check out our mods at
moddb or the SPS Homepage

djamelo

BFG is indeed a good engine, it even has stereo 3D support as a bonus, but imo there's some things that need resolving before it becomes a viable replacement to vanilla, one make a easier way to make GUI's, flash is fine but there's no tutorial out there on how to make even a simple fullscreen GUI in flash work for BFG (i'm looking at you motorsep, want the rest of the modders to share? Why not be the first?), two a place online where people can see the differences in shaders, material support and scripting, if any, between BFG and Vanilla.

motorsep

Quote from: djamelo on November 01, 2019, 12:08:02 PM
... i'm looking at you motorsep ...

Don't look at me, I've released SWF sources with StormEngine 2 looooong time ago, unlike oneofthe8devilz who hasn't released source for his networking code improvements (and will never release it, unless you probably pay him to do so).