News:

One Minute Game Review by The Happy Friar: https://ugetube.com/@OneMinteGameReviews
Also on Rumble: https://rumble.com/c/c-1115371

idTech 4 (aka Doom 3 tech) Discord Server! https://discord.gg/9wtCGHa

Main Menu

remove cutscenes

Started by calan, November 06, 2014, 12:50:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

calan

What is the easiest way to completely remove all the cutscenes?

For some reason, Google doesn't seem to turn up anything, and I can't find a cvar reference that would do it.
Old bastard but kid at heart...

BloodRayne

Cut scenes are started with level triggers, which either call an animation camera, or use scripting. Some cut scenes aren't really animations but simple 'influence' effects (which is a different entity).

Because some animations are necessary for level progression (e.g. teleport effects are also cut scenes) there's no quick way to take out all cutscenes. What you'll need to do is go through the maps and remove the triggers that start the cutscenes, but also account for the fact that some cutscenes might transport the player to a different location. (e.g. taking out the cutscene will cause the player to get stuck).

So it'll be trial and error while you sift through the maps and take out each cutscene.

The Happy Friar

Cutscenes can be canceled with the "ESC" key, right?  If that is true, is it possible to rig up something to automatically cancel the cut scene when it starts?

calan

I've been poking around in alphalabs1 where the maggots are introduced, and I can't even find the cutscene. I'm guessing it is a combination of effects or something, rather than a single entity.

And BTW....why are all the maggots triggering delays, other maggots, etc? This seems like a hugely over-complicated area of the map for no apparent reason.

aphexjh

The connected entities, relays, delays, path entities, etc. are used to tell monsters and npcs, which animations to play etc.

The method of connecting entities in the editor can reduce the complexity of scripting events and is often a more visually evident way of doing things. (For those familiar with Unreal, its like KISMET with path nodes right in the editor. )

In your case, you might want to experiment with removing some of these path,relay and delay entities and see the results in-game.  There are also often other "cinematic" monsters and characters that you will probably want to delete, which are used as actors, but are later removed when the cut-scene is over. If these entities are referenced in script, you will get an error when you attempt to run the map,  but I don't think that will happen. If it does, however, check the console for the name and remove the call to it in the map script.

calan

Thanks for the info.

I'm still trying to learn my way around the editor, and it's slow going. How can I find and see an entity? For example, I know an imp is connected to "trigger_relay_82". How can I find that trigger, and follow it's connections? The "Find replace entity" command doesn't seem to do anything. (I've never been able to see any connections in the grid, but I know they are there.)

Which brings me to the view selection. Holy crap, what a mess. I have checkboxes checked for stuff that isn't visible and vise-versa. Checking a box sometimes doesn't change it's state, but items appear or disappear on the grid. View selected sometimes makes everything disappear, and hide may show them. Why can't I just click one command to make everything hidden, and then select what I want to see (and all at once...without having to open the menu for every stinking box I want checked).

What a mess. Ok, /end soapbox.  :)

Bladeghost

You can press the 'I key to bring up the maps inventory and see whats in it,
and for hiding and unhiding stuff, you can select an entity or entities and choose view/hide_show/hide not selected
alternatly that same command is  (shift+ctrl+h) to hide all that is NOT selected. (shift+h) to unhide all or (h) to hide selected.

meaning choose your interested entities and hide everything else to work on it.
the entities properties ane in the entity inspector window, just scroll down to see the connections usually are listed as targets.
for connections and paths be sure  view/show/show_paths are on.
also be sure to look at (help/command list) at the top of the editor.

aphexjh

Quote from: calan on November 06, 2014, 05:14:26 PM
For example, I know an imp is connected to "trigger_relay_82". How can I find that trigger, and follow it's connections?
pressing "i" will bring up the entity window, which can be used to select things by name.

Which brings me to the view selection. Holy crap, what a mess. I have checkboxes checked for stuff that isn't visible and vise-versa. Checking a box sometimes doesn't change it's state, but items appear or disappear on the grid. View selected sometimes makes everything disappear, and hide may show them.

I don't know, but I did have to delete the editor .cfg recently to fix a similar problem. If you are using dark radiant, I have no idea, but they do have layers, which might help you organize things better.

Why can't I just click one command to make everything hidden, and then select what I want to see

if you watched the 3dBuzz videos, they detail the selection and view stuff that will be really helpful for you.
Specifically, you can set the viewable area of the grid to just a small area of the map, check that out.