News:

One Minute Game Review by The Happy Friar: https://ugetube.com/@OneMinteGameReviews
Also on Rumble: https://rumble.com/c/c-1115371

idTech 4 (aka Doom 3 tech) Discord Server! https://discord.gg/9wtCGHa

Main Menu

ABD3SP2 - As yet unnamed

Started by tron, September 01, 2014, 10:29:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tron

In the past my idtech projects have been constructed in a fairly haphazard manner, typically building room to room, polishing up one area before moving on to the next.  Not the best workflow for getting a good gameplay structure, and also meaning there is a lack of uniformity as new areas give new ideas, which leads to wasted time adjusting already completed areas, and so on.

After a break from mapping I've been feeling the urge lately so grabbed Zombies newest texture pack and am using it as the base for a level built to a much more streamlined building process where I'm blocking out the entire thing and getting the gameplay right before focusing on the visuals.

First pass layout, currently runs around 15 minutes long:

Art style I'm going for, in the above ground base sections I'm using custom-painted ambient light textures in the style of Lunarans Strombine project, whereas underground cave areas will have a lot more darkness and strong shadows:

Not much to see here, just showing how basic the block-out is I've got going on at the moment.

Zombie

Looks really interesting, will be really good to see how you use those textures.

Also can't wait to run around it when you've got the monsters in.

I'll have to pull my finger out and get my WIP thread up now!

:fatty:

tron

Been working on fancying up the top right section from the overhead picture at the start of the thread.

Zombie

Looking very cool, I think you've captured the DOOM 3 atmosphere there.

BloodRayne

douglas quaid

This looks cool, the greens look great with the orange and greys. Nice work!
TOTAL RECALL - Singleplayer mod for Doom 3 starring Arnold Schwarzenegger
BLACKOUT - Free indie horror game based on the id Tech 4 engine

douglas quaid

TOTAL RECALL - Singleplayer mod for Doom 3 starring Arnold Schwarzenegger
BLACKOUT - Free indie horror game based on the id Tech 4 engine

chimueloeldragon2011

Good work! I love the lighting and the plants
FFYL

Bladeghost

Plants seem new, I would spin some in different directions to have a more natural look, and not just printed copies, copies look like copies, spin some of them and have them blend more naturally. looks great so far , hope it plays well too and has a good audio as well. make more and great to see more progress on the project as it goes.

Zombie

Quote from: Bladeghost on September 12, 2014, 06:41:11 AM
Plants seem new, I would spin some in different directions to have a more natural look, and not just printed copies, copies look like copies, spin some of them and have them blend more naturally. looks great so far , hope it plays well too and has a good audio as well. make more and great to see more progress on the project as it goes.

Here is a level design tip:

Don't bother how the plants are rotated when you first do your realisation pass, if you start doing that, you get bogged down in the details and forget about the bigger picture.

Once your level has everything inside it, then go to every room and start moving, rotating, scaling, etc.

The detail pass is the very last thing you do before bug fixing, then ship it.

:armadillo:

tron

You make a good point Bladeghost, but Zombie has it exactly right.  In the first area I created (the room with the big windows and trees in the first post) I distributed the plants a bit more randomly, rotated them around, had more variety etc just to make sure the assets looked fairly natural.  Since I'm happy they do for other placements they are very evenly placed at the moment and will be mixed up when I go back through towards the end for the detail pass.

Progress made on a bossfight area:

I'm probably going to avoid posting many more screenshots going forward, and focus more on talking about thoughts and ideas, don't want to spoil things by showing everything before it's done!

motorsep

Quote from: tron on September 01, 2014, 10:29:59 AM
Art style I'm going for, in the above ground base sections I'm using custom-painted ambient light textures in the style of Lunarans Strombine project, whereas underground cave areas will have a lot more darkness and strong shadows:

Good looking stuff. What level editor are you using?

Lunaran's method requires rotating light volume (Rich is Bored's technique doesn't, but doesn't produce same effect as Lunaran's method) and neither DOOMEdit nor DarkRadiant allow for resizing of rotated light volumes (no easy way rather).

tron

Quote from: motorsep on September 28, 2014, 11:06:30 PM
Quote from: tron on September 01, 2014, 10:29:59 AM

Good looking stuff. What level editor are you using?

Lunaran's method requires rotating light volume (Rich is Bored's technique doesn't, but doesn't produce same effect as Lunaran's method) and neither DOOMEdit nor DarkRadiant allow for resizing of rotated light volumes (no easy way rather).

I'm using Doomedit, and it's fairly straightforward, just place the light wherever you want and rotate it, adjust the size from the xyz values in the light properties, then I take a screengrab with the light selected so I can paint over it.

motorsep

Quote from: tron on September 29, 2014, 01:07:29 AM

I'm using Doomedit, and it's fairly straightforward, just place the light wherever you want and rotate it, adjust the size from the xyz values in the light properties, then I take a screengrab with the light selected so I can paint over it.

I see. Isn't it kinda backward? Wouldn't it be easier to take a shot of the XYZ window, paint light and then adjust light size with lighting preview on?