News:

One Minute Game Review by The Happy Friar: https://ugetube.com/@OneMinteGameReviews
Also on Rumble: https://rumble.com/c/c-1115371

idTech 4 (aka Doom 3 tech) Discord Server! https://discord.gg/9wtCGHa

Main Menu

Doom 3 BFG Hi Def 1.5

Started by trebor, July 21, 2015, 05:00:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trebor

Doom 3 BFG Hi Def version 1.5 (for BFG edition of game) install and run RBDOOM-3-BFG from your desktop. Higher poly models, tga textures, and effects including soft shadows (RBDoom3bfg). This version has more textures, tweaks, and a autoconfig file that kicks the image quality up all the way. Now has its own installer to make everything even easier. Install to your Doom 3 bfg directory. Note: this version fixes the install problems from 1.4 and adds a few higher poly models.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/doom-3-bfg-hi-def/addons/doom-3-bfg-hi-def-15

motorsep

Except it doesn't load TGA textures directly :)

dingleberry

now if we could get some hbao in there and some ssr we'd be in for something that actually feels hi def, right now it's just doom 3 with some shadow mapping.

motorsep

Quote from: dingleberry on July 21, 2015, 09:39:34 PM
now if we could get some hbao in there and some ssr we'd be in for something that actually feels hi def, right now it's just doom 3 with some shadow mapping.

The performance (especially in multiplayer) is much better compare to stock Doom 3, controls are more responsive, wide screen support, etc. etc.

oneofthe8devilz

Quote from: motorsep on July 21, 2015, 11:00:43 PM
The performance (especially in multiplayer) is much better compare to stock Doom 3, controls are more responsive, wide screen support, etc. etc.

Funny how you mention "performance", "multiplayer", "more responsive" and "D3BFG" in a single sentence omitting the fact that the BFG version doesn't support dedicated servers which generally makes the BFG multiplayer online experience quite patchy. I have seen bad listenservers hosting, ranging from really crappy hardware to really fubared internet connections screwing up the experience for anyone else involved in the match...

On top of that obvious disadvantage, the bfg netcode adds up to 150ms of additional latency regardless what latency the other clients have to the ListenServer. I tested this locally in my LAN environment many times and could rarely achieve a clientside ping/latency under 100ms, even though the machines were standing directly next to each other with a 1 Gbit connection at 0ms line latency.

So for that matter I personally would be hesitant to confirm such praising statements and take them with a bit of reasonable skepticism...

I got six little friends and they all run faster than you ;)

Check out our mods at
moddb or the SPS Homepage

motorsep

Quote from: oneofthe8devilz on July 22, 2015, 10:44:30 AM
Funny how you mention "performance", "multiplayer", "more responsive" and "D3BFG" in a single sentence omitting the fact that the BFG version doesn't support dedicated servers which generally makes the BFG multiplayer online experience quite patchy. I have seen bad listenservers hosting, ranging from really crappy hardware to really fubared internet connections screwing up the experience for anyone else involved in the match...

On top of that obvious disadvantage, the bfg netcode adds up to 150ms of additional latency regardless what latency the other clients have to the ListenServer. I tested this locally in my LAN environment many times and could rarely achieve a clientside ping/latency under 100ms, even though the machines were standing directly next to each other with a 1 Gbit connection at 0ms line latency.

So for that matter I personally would be hesitant to confirm such praising statements and take them with a bit of reasonable skepticism...

Who gives a damn about dedicated servers nowadays? No whole a lot of people. Plus, "performance", "multiplayer", "more responsive" and "D3BFG" have nothing in common with having or not having dedicated servers.

You should really get in touch is ex-ID employees who worked on BFg multiplayer and talk to them about changes to networking code. Your claims are unfounded.

We tested BFG multiplayer at 400ms+ pings (USA vs Asia) and it ran smooth, almost lagless, especially with hitscan weapons. Users landed their shots exactly where their expected them to land. I hosted the session and my PC is ancient, not to mention connection plan I have is not the fastest on the Time Warner's roaster.

dingleberry

I dunno why you bother 8devilz, he's an arrogant fuck who'll argue everything to make sure he is correct.

You're better off starting your own forums if you want to have a good community.

trebor

I would rather say that the BFG edition does not have this shitty stuttering input lag in single player.
The input code is indeed a lot more responsive. Multiplayer does not matter to me if only a 5 people play it. D3 is simply a bad multiplayer game and its multiplayer is dead for many years.

However the BFG edition is for a new generation of gamers who never played D3.
Concerning the soft shadows ... well less is more and I got really a lot positive feedback for it and my opinion is that it feels like a complete different game with it.
I will probably add parallax mapping next month and maybe merge back my private HDR implementation including MSAA support. However I'm no fan of HDR and Bloom effects because everyone likes different glare styles.

oneofthe8devilz

Heh... those comments... priceless  ;D

I think many remaining active community members (me included) may as well suffer from some form of delusion...

But in order to not derail trebor's thread too much here is a question about the Doom 3 BFG Hi Def 1.5 release:

Has anyone an idea by what factor the polygon count has been increased for the models ?

I got six little friends and they all run faster than you ;)

Check out our mods at
moddb or the SPS Homepage

motorsep

How about variable penumbra, ray traced distance field soft shadows, fast SSAO and real-time GI ? :D