News:

One Minute Game Review by The Happy Friar: https://ugetube.com/@OneMinteGameReviews
Also on Rumble: https://rumble.com/c/c-1115371

idTech 4 (aka Doom 3 tech) Discord Server! https://discord.gg/9wtCGHa

Main Menu

Chaingun ROQ Movie

Started by douglas quaid, January 11, 2016, 08:17:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

douglas quaid

Appreciated motorsep but I've tried that and it won't work. I don't understand it, my other roq video gui on another map worked. It's these typical D3 modding problems that keep us going right? :p
TOTAL RECALL - Singleplayer mod for Doom 3 starring Arnold Schwarzenegger
BLACKOUT - Free indie horror game based on the id Tech 4 engine

motorsep

I believe your GUI can only be either on a model with GUI surface, or on a patch that is converted into func_static.

Have you tried having material with video texture applied directly to patch/brush, without making a GUI?

motorsep

douglas quaid

That's great motorsep, thanks. But I can't seem to download from drive (or open the files to inspect). P.S thanks for the PM. ;)

motorsep

Quote from: douglas quaid on January 19, 2016, 10:08:53 AM
That's great motorsep, thanks. But I can't seem to download from drive (or open the files to inspect). P.S thanks for the PM. ;)

That's odd. I am at work right now and I can download it. What error do you get ?

douglas quaid

Download was okay. Thanks for doing that motorsep, it's appreciated. I just have to figure out now how to make it start when the map begins.

motorsep

Quote from: douglas quaid on January 20, 2016, 06:46:23 PM
Download was okay. Thanks for doing that motorsep, it's appreciated. I just have to figure out now how to make it start when the map begins.

That's what it does now. It begins playing as soon as the map is loaded. Check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCdHop6v8TU

douglas quaid

Looks good, but when I load the map it only starts after about 30 seconds or so, and at the end, the vid screen goes black before it restarts.

motorsep

Quote from: douglas quaid on January 21, 2016, 08:24:20 AM
Looks good, but when I load the map it only starts after about 30 seconds or so, and at the end, the vid screen goes black before it restarts.

Are you running vanilla Doom 3 or dhewm3 or Sikkmod? Do you have an ancient PC? If so, that could explain the delay (or maybe your level is huge?).

The only way you can solve this is by using onTrigger in the gui script, and having a trigger brush around player pointing to relay trigger, which in turn points to any monitor with gui video on the level (at least the ones you want to be playing videos). So when you actually spawn and the game is playable, as soon as you move, it will kick off the playback.

Even with that you might still have black screen (which really is a background of that "monitor") between plays. The only way to solve it is by having an image of the first frame of the video as a background. Then when video is done playing, you'll see first frame of it and then it will play again. Should be pretty seamless.

Worth noting that RoQ videos were only meant to be played in the full screen GUIs such as PDA and intro screens.

douglas quaid

I'm using Sikkmod so how does that affect the gui? I'll check the map on vanilla now.

motorsep

Quote from: douglas quaid on January 21, 2016, 10:59:30 AM
I'm using Sikkmod so how does that affect the gui? I'll check the map on vanilla now.

Well, he did a lot of changes to rendering code/shaders, so he could, potentially, screwed something up.

douglas quaid

Oh dear, it's the same on vanilla unfortunately...

motorsep

Quote from: douglas quaid on January 21, 2016, 11:22:56 AM
Oh dear, it's the same on vanilla unfortunately...

I see. Oh well, if someone can test the package and see if it works any different for them, you'll have an idea what might have gone wrong. Try the method I described though. If that doesn't work, then unfortunately you are out of luck :(

motorsep

I'll try another trick after work. Maybe it will work.

motorsep

Try this one: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwE6dxM0O2PsN1ZqNTJqdzFDNWc

Video of interest is to the left from the player.

Btw, if anyone else can test and confirm, it would be nice. I am especially interested in finding out how video made with GUI  (straight ahead after spawn) works on different PCs.