News:

One Minute Game Review by The Happy Friar: https://ugetube.com/@OneMinteGameReviews
Also on Rumble: https://rumble.com/c/c-1115371

idTech 4 (aka Doom 3 tech) Discord Server! https://discord.gg/9wtCGHa

Main Menu

Doom 3 BFG VR

Started by motorsep, March 04, 2017, 09:52:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

motorsep

Pretty interesting: https://github.com/KozGit/DOOM-3-BFG-VR/blob/master/README.txt

Now that Rift + Touch costs $600, it's pretty interesting to try Doom 3 in VR

motorsep

New update:

Version 0.021 Alpha

Additions:

QuakeCon style teleport. ( jkchng )

Fixes from v 0.020

Fix issue #107: use other hand for movement.
Fix issue #97: Fix talking waking monsters.
Fix issues 100 & 106: Change language detection to use sound files. Issue #100 and Issue #106
Fix issues #113 and #27: Fix timing issues.
Improve issue #27:Disable ASW and make it a menu.
Improve issue #103:   Fix loading old savegames with different scripts.
Fix crash loading 020 save games, and allow old versions.
Loading RBDoom savegames works now.
"Fix" loading script objects of different sizes.
Fix save and load menus.
Adjust installer, Readme, and other docs for v 0.21 Alpha.
Work Around Movement Popping.

EDIT:
Known issue: After saving a game it might appear greyed out in the load game list and be unable to find it. To fix this issue, either use this console command before opening the load game menu, or exit the program and restart it:
testSavegameEnumerate
This issue is fixed in the next version.

motorsep

The Happy Friar

I wanted to make a joke but I can't because it's true:

VR's now on my radar, just not getting in to it yet.   Looking at used ones though.  The idea I have with my wife is this: Honey, I want a .50cal upper for my AR-15.  It's only ~$2k.  Wife: Hell no!  Me: Well, what about a VR headset?  We could use it with the kids for school & it's just under $600.  Wife: Well, maybe. Let me think about it.
:giggle:

That version of D3BFG uses the touch to move, correct?

Any if anyone has a SHTF .50 cal upper they want to throw away, I'm always willing to take their trash.  :D  Or a .338 Lupa.  :D :D

motorsep

Quote from: The Happy Friar on March 16, 2017, 10:31:33 AM
That version of D3BFG uses the touch to move, correct?

You can move as on PC, but I will make you puke (unless you don't experience motion sickness in general) and you can move by "jumping" (teleporting), which doesn't make most people sick.

I don't know if they completely removed seated experience when you can use kb and mouse or gamepad, but VR really shines with motion controllers and standing 360 deg. experience.

The Happy Friar

Pick up Rift + touch yesterday afternoon and hooked it up last night.  Didn't try D3 BFG (I don't actuality own D3 BFG so that's a good reason to not try it), BUT...

Q1 on my kids computer (Phenom 2 quad core, Nvidia GT 730) runs AWESOME.  :)  Those damn shotgun guys are as big as you!  :D

My computer runs it much better even though I'm bellow spec with my GPU.

I haven't had one of those "holy $h!t!" moments on a piece of hardware since putting a VooDoo 2 in my machine & loading up Q2 vs software mode.
Save

motorsep

Ha, I figured you'd like VR :)

How is motion sickness when playing Quake ? (I get pukey pretty quickly)

The Happy Friar

We haven't played Quake much because it's hard getting used to the controls, but during the Quake demos (demo1 & 2 are the best) & running around the Start map nobody's gotten sick.  My youngest son and I are very prone to motion sickness, so that's surprising.  Just figuring out the controls is hard.  I'll see if I can get the game to work on the XBox controller or Touch controls, not sure if I can.

motorsep

Quote from: The Happy Friar on April 03, 2017, 07:50:46 AM
We haven't played Quake much because it's hard getting used to the controls, but during the Quake demos (demo1 & 2 are the best) & running around the Start map nobody's gotten sick.  My youngest son and I are very prone to motion sickness, so that's surprising.  Just figuring out the controls is hard.  I'll see if I can get the game to work on the XBox controller or Touch controls, not sure if I can.

You can probably mod Quake to work with Touch. It should work with XB controller out of the box, since engine is Darkplaces. Just aim by turning your head instead of using gamepad's stick :)

motorsep

It would be nice for fhDOOM dev to port all the Rift + Touch tracking into his engine. This way modding for Doom 3 VR could rise again.

The Happy Friar

Quote from: motorsep on April 03, 2017, 09:33:06 AM
You can probably mod Quake to work with Touch. It should work with XB controller out of the box, since engine is Darkplaces. Just aim by turning your head instead of using gamepad's stick :)

I'm using the Quakespasm engine for the Rift: https://github.com/phoboslab/Quakespasm-Rift/releases
I was thinking of simulating a layout that Metroid Prime had on the Wii: you used the Wii remote to aim & when it went so far it would rotate the character. 
Didn't realize Darkplaces had Rift support built in.
Save

motorsep

Quote from: The Happy Friar on April 03, 2017, 09:53:49 PM
Didn't realize Darkplaces had Rift support built in.
Save

Hmm.. Apparently it doesn't :( I though someone ported it, but nope, only to Gear VR. Not to Rift. Pretty sad. Arcane Dimensions mod would be eye candy in VR.

motorsep

Soo, I finally gave it a spin! Mind blowing, literally :)

There are some minor issues with controls and gameplay (since the game wasn't designed with VR in mind), but I can tell you this - it's one of the best VR games out there.

The Happy Friar

Tried D3 BFG VR today.  Amazing looking!  :)  Controlling the disembodied player from your location makes it like an older Resident Evil game.  :)

motorsep

Quote from: The Happy Friar on August 29, 2017, 09:31:15 PM
Tried D3 BFG VR today.  Amazing looking!  :)  Controlling the disembodied player from your location makes it like an older Resident Evil game.  :)

:) Glad you like it. Is it one of the available locomotion types? I stick with what doesn't make me sick and don't mess around with other settings  :o