News:

One Minute Game Review by The Happy Friar: https://ugetube.com/@OneMinteGameReviews
Also on Rumble: https://rumble.com/c/c-1115371

idTech 4 (aka Doom 3 tech) Discord Server! https://discord.gg/9wtCGHa

Main Menu

Working with BFG .resources/.crc packages

Started by Radegast, May 20, 2014, 05:15:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

motorsep

No, you need to put into respective folders. DDS/ folder mirrors base/ folder anyway. So if an image is referenced and it isn't in base/textures/ (as an example), it will be searched for in base/dds/textures/ (old engine did that).

So let's say your image is in base/dds/textures/p00p/my_p00p.dds YOu need to convert my_p00p.dds into my_p00p.tga and put into base/textures/p00p/

romulus_ut3

romulus_ut3

I have been trying to get the Enhanced_DOOM3_models_v10a to work with DOOM 3 BFG with no success, so does this mean DOOM 3 BFG doesn't like custom models?

motorsep

Not quite sure. I haven't tried replacing existing models. Might only work if you replace it in base/ and not as in mod. But again, I haven't messed with that.

romulus_ut3

Tried copy pasting the md5s over to the base directory with no success. Tried copy pasting the generated stuff from the mod's own directory over to the base directory with no luck. As I am a n00b at this, maybe one of you experts would have better luck with getting this to work for BFG.

motorsep

I'd recommend modding vanilla Doom 3, no BFG. Once you know ins and outs more or less, you can try modding BFG. RBDoom 3 BFG isn't as moddable as old Doom 3. That's just how Doom 3 BFG was made - with no modding in mind.

Btw, you'd probably want to nuke your rendermodels/ and anims/ inside generated/ and then re-run the game so that new models and anims can get binarized. Maybe that's the issue.

argoon

Quote from: romulus_ut3 on February 22, 2015, 09:36:59 PM
I have been trying to get the Enhanced_DOOM3_models_v10a to work with DOOM 3 BFG with no success, so does this mean DOOM 3 BFG doesn't like custom models?

I have maps with custom models running on RBDoom3 BFG both .lwo and md5meshs's and animations, didn't do anything special, if they work on vanilla idtech 4 they should work on BFG. 

romulus_ut3

This is the mod I have been trying to get to work doom3.filefront.com/file/Enhanced_Doom_3_models;89133

And so far, I haven't had any luck.

motorsep

It might use some funky ARB shaders (Doom 3 BFG doesn't support ARB shaders)

romulus_ut3

All it has inside is dds, a few md5 models, and some textures. I see no shaders.

Arl

Hi, I lurked this forum for a while, to follow the Doom3 Modding "scene", and I have decided to register finally to share a silly piece of information that may help this user (please forgive my english):

Quote from: romulus_ut3 on February 23, 2015, 11:23:02 PM
All it has inside is dds, a few md5 models, and some textures. I see no shaders.

I was trying to make BFG Edition to load some .lwo from a vanilla Doom3 mod I'm doing, with no luck. With the wonderful Doom3 BFG Edition Launcher (which includes RBDoom3) I was able to load my map and custom textures, but none of the .lwo files where binarised or whatever needs to happen for the files to work with BFGe.

So, navigating through the game files (now extracted thanks to the Launcher), I found the route to the same .lwo I was pretending to replace: "base/generated/rendermodels/models/items/armor/armor.blwo".

So, I took that as a reference and wrote the same route, but in my mod directory: "my-mod/generated/rendermodels/models/items/armor/armor.lwo".

But sadly nothing happened, BFGe refused to even read my lwo, so I did one last wild thing before leaving all in the past: I changed the extension of my file from .lwo to .blwo. Sounds stupid, but the game was able to read my model and the next time a checked my file was 40 KB (originally being 120 KB), so the game created my file again properly, all in all, this is a happy ending for me so far.

The End.

So maybe the problem with those md5 models is something similar and you can just re-writte routes and change extension names to make that mod compatible with RBDoom3 and the launcher previously mentioned.

Sorry for the long story, especially if it doesn't help.

romulus_ut3

If I simply rename the md5mesh to bmd5mesh, it fails to load.

trebor

All this stuff should work if you start the engine with

RBDoom3BFG +set fs_game <yourmodmoddir> +set fs_resourceLoadPriority 0

Especially +set fs_resourceLoadPriority 0 is important because it favors local files over files that were packaged into the .resources bundles.

romulus_ut3

Still no luck, I have tried this already. Maybe if one of you experts could take 5 minutes of your time to check this out, it would make things easier for a n00b like me.

trebor

OK I looked into this issue. The original BFG code was really written with no modding in mind ... Well we already did a file lookup exception for .swf and image files.
Today, I have added fixes for custom models and animations.

I uploaded a new binary for testing: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8ldovg9mkftg1hl/RBDOOM-3-BFG-1.0.3-win32-20150225-git-64a12c1-preview.7z?dl=0