News:

One Minute Game Review by The Happy Friar: https://ugetube.com/@OneMinteGameReviews
Also on Rumble: https://rumble.com/c/c-1115371

idTech 4 (aka Doom 3 tech) Discord Server! https://discord.gg/9wtCGHa

Main Menu

Working with BFG .resources/.crc packages

Started by Radegast, May 20, 2014, 05:15:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

romulus_ut3

Thanks a lot!! But I am having a different issue now.

With the assets extracted in the base directory (with the help of Motorsep's DOOM 3 BFG Mod Launcher) I am unable to load any in game campaign levels while custom models with textures are present in my mod, trying to do so while having the assets extracted cause an immediate crash while the level is being loaded, however, if the extract assets are removed, I can get the levels to load just fine.

I see the option to skip in game cinematic has been added as well, but there's just one small problem with it, the sounds are being played in when an in game cinematic is skipped.

Can I report bugs like the player getting completely stuck in specific points of the map and is unable to move unless Noclip is used? So far I think I have encountered two places like that in two different levels.

motorsep

Quote from: romulus_ut3 on February 25, 2015, 01:45:33 PM
With the assets extracted in the base directory (with the help of Motorsep's DOOM 3 BFG Mod Launcher) I am unable to load any in game campaign levels while custom models with textures are present in my mod, trying to do so while having the assets extracted cause an immediate crash while the level is being loaded, however, if the extract assets are removed, I can get the levels to load just fine.

You should compile Debug build and debug the issue, providing backtrace to Trebor. Otherwise it's hard to know what's happening for your particular scenario.

Quote from: romulus_ut3 on February 25, 2015, 01:45:33 PM
Can I report bugs like the player getting completely stuck in specific points of the map and is unable to move unless Noclip is used? So far I think I have encountered two places like that in two different levels.

Is this happening on stock Doom 3 BFG levels? Do you run 32bit or 64bit .exe ?

argoon

I find all this strange before coming here i went to see if i was crazy and was indeed seeing my custom meshes in RBDoom3 BFG and they are there, don't know why it works for me and not for this guy, all of them work all my .lwo made with modo and one animated md5mesh from blender and one from 3dsmax.  ???

romulus_ut3

It is happening with Stock BFG levels, I was using a precompiled binary from Github, 32bit, 1.02 with ATI Hotfix is what it's labeled.

argoon

afaik md5 files especially animated ones need a extra .def file to work ingame, unlike static .lwo's that only need a .mtr file (material file).

exemple:

model rusty_wood_Cillfan{
mesh            models/mapobjects/animated/rusty_wood_Cillfan.md5mesh
anim idle    models/mapobjects/animated/rusty_wood_Cillfan.md5anim
//anim name    models/mapobjects/animated/rusty_wood_Cillfan.md5anim
}

entityDef rusty_wood_Cillfan {
"inherit"     "func_animate"
"model"       "rusty_wood_Cillfan"
}

Don't know if this is it, but one think is certain if it works well on older Doom3 it should work on RBDoom3 BFG.

trebor

Quote from: argoon on February 25, 2015, 11:05:57 PM
afaik md5 files especially animated ones need a extra .def file to work ingame, unlike static .lwo's that only need a .mtr file (material file).

exemple:

model rusty_wood_Cillfan{
mesh            models/mapobjects/animated/rusty_wood_Cillfan.md5mesh
anim idle    models/mapobjects/animated/rusty_wood_Cillfan.md5anim
//anim name    models/mapobjects/animated/rusty_wood_Cillfan.md5anim
}

entityDef rusty_wood_Cillfan {
"inherit"     "func_animate"
"model"       "rusty_wood_Cillfan"
}

Don't know if this is it, but one think is certain if it works well on older Doom3 it should work on RBDoom3 BFG.

The problem was that BFG caches all files into binary assets like .bmd5mesh and if they were bundled into .resources packages than the engine assumes it is a production build for testing. So it prefered the bundled models instead of refreshing the binary equivalents with the new local ones. This only applies when you want to overwrite existing D3 assets.

Your case worked because you didn't overwrite old assets.

motorsep

@romulus_ut3: off-topic, but to answer your question about poor performance on AMD GPU (since Trebor banned me from his Github repo I can't comment there), yes, AMD driver is at fault. I got in touch with AMD and they said they do not have resource to fix OpenGL drivers, unless it's a console related issue or if a AAA game developer / publisher issue. So in short, indies are not on the list to be helped by AMD when it comes to OpenGL. So either Mantle needs to be implemented, or D3D wrapper. I had someone with AMD R9 testing my engine and it ran as fast as on Nvidia. So maybe it's the only way RBDoom 3 will run well on AMD - get R9 series GPU :)

romulus_ut3

Quote from: motorsep on February 26, 2015, 09:25:15 AM
@romulus_ut3: off-topic, but to answer your question about poor performance on AMD GPU (since Trebor banned me from his Github repo I can't comment there), yes, AMD driver is at fault. I got in touch with AMD and they said they do not have resource to fix OpenGL drivers, unless it's a console related issue or if a AAA game developer / publisher issue. So in short, indies are not on the list to be helped by AMD when it comes to OpenGL. So either Mantle needs to be implemented, or D3D wrapper. I had someone with AMD R9 testing my engine and it ran as fast as on Nvidia. So maybe it's the only way RBDoom 3 will run well on AMD - get R9 series GPU :)

A HD 7950=R9 280
And the guy that originally brought up the issue in Github owns a HD 7970 GHz Edition a la R9 280X, and has similar issues too. Is there anyway to do a timedemo statistics/benchmark like the one we had in DOOM 3? I am just the average gamer, not a graphics designer nor a coder, all this talk about implementing APIs like D3D or Mantle is suddenly making me feel dizzy  :o

motorsep

Quote from: romulus_ut3 on February 26, 2015, 09:34:44 AM
A HD 7950=R9 280
And the guy that originally brought up the issue in Github owns a HD 7970 GHz Edition a la R9 280X, and has similar issues too. Is there anyway to do a timedemo statistics/benchmark like the one we had in DOOM 3?

Well then, AMD users are out of luck :(

No, demos don't work in RDoom 3 BFG (and it was a royal pita to fix them partially in our engine). Timedemo won't work properly unless entire demo code is adopted to multithreaded renderer (currently we run it on a single thread I believe), which is quite a lot of work.

The timers you have in the top right corner reflect timing spent on various processes is accurate enough.

romulus_ut3

Right. Last AMD card that I am ever going to buy. Their drivers are a joke, truth be told.

Thank you for the kind replies and the willingness to help, trebor and motorsep.

I am now gonna try fiddling with different versions of the OpenGL.dll file from different versions of drivers to see if I can find one that helps.

argoon

Quote from: trebor on February 26, 2015, 05:30:33 AM

Your case worked because you didn't overwrite old assets.

Ah Ok that makes sense now.

Quote from: romulus_ut3 on February 26, 2015, 09:47:14 AM
Right. Last AMD card that I am ever going to buy. Their drivers are a joke, truth be told.

Thank you for the kind replies and the willingness to help, trebor and motorsep.

I am now gonna try fiddling with different versions of the OpenGL.dll file from different versions of drivers to see if I can find one that helps.

I hope i don't sound like i'm going against you or something.

I have a R9 270X and i can play RBDoom3 BFG without any problems performance or either wise (that i can detect) latest 14.12 drivers, vanilla doom3 and TDM (The dark Mod), so it seems not all AMD cards seem to be affected.

motorsep

Quote from: argoon on February 26, 2015, 07:57:42 PM
I have a R9 270X and i can play RBDoom3 BFG without any problems performance or either wise (that i can detect) latest 14.12 drivers, vanilla doom3 and TDM (The dark Mod), so it seems not all AMD cards seem to be affected.

Can you please post your PC specs, OS version and screenshots with timers (same kinda screenshots romulus_ut3 took) ?

argoon

Quote from: motorsep on February 26, 2015, 08:40:33 PM
Quote from: argoon on February 26, 2015, 07:57:42 PM

Can you please post your PC specs, OS version and screenshots with timers (same kinda screenshots romulus_ut3 took) ?

Of course can't seem to see where his screenshots are but here is mine.

here are the details btw i never use AA:

My PC

intel i7 2.8 Ghz
8GB DDR3
AMD R9 270X OC

OS - W7 64bits

Game details:

RBDoom3 BFG

Rez - 1920x1080
frames locked at 60 fps's
no AA
no soft shadows

RBDoom 3 BFG

Running from a external USB HD (this is important because has some impact on performance especially level loading).

Vanilla Doom 3

rez - 1920x1080
no AA

Doom 3

Also running from external HD

In both tried to include AI in the frame.

Hope this helps 

romulus_ut3

The issue that was discussed on Github was regarding AMD hardware struggling with RBDoom3BFG when Soft Shadows are turned on. The framerates dip whenever there's a door opened, yet, trebor is running it at a steady 120 fps@1080p with a GTX 660 Ti OC. I can run the game at over 200 frames without AA and no Soft Shadows.

Here's the link to the issue: https://github.com/RobertBeckebans/RBDOOM-3-BFG/issues/211

The Happy Friar

I would figure comparing the specs between the R290's (R9) and previous gen AMD cards would review what's different.  I know that with my AMD 7850 I can't run Saints Row 3 in DX 10/11 mode without it running in slow motion constantly.  Changing it to DX9 mode runs fine. 

Quote from: romulus_ut3 on February 26, 2015, 09:47:14 AM

I can give you an address to mail the card to if you just want to get rid of it.   O0  (I've tried Nvidia and ditched them because I found their drivers to be a joke!  :) )