News:

One Minute Game Review by The Happy Friar: https://ugetube.com/@OneMinteGameReviews
Also on Rumble: https://rumble.com/c/c-1115371

idTech 4 (aka Doom 3 tech) Discord Server! https://discord.gg/9wtCGHa

Main Menu

Tactical HUD display

Started by EoceneMiacid, June 25, 2016, 08:07:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EoceneMiacid

Hi,

I have created a custom player class, who is equipped with a pistol, machinegun and a couple of grenades as standard issue. He also runs twice as fast and doesn't make those annoying tippity-tappity footstep sounds :)

I have two subclasses, one wearing the Doom 3 armor and helmet, and the other the ROE equivalent.

A prominent feature of my mod will be the HUD, which will look like it's projected on the visor. I want it to have a purely functional, fluff-free, military style look.

I also want to implement a metric fuckton of useful features in the thing. For example, it'll be capable of interfacing with your guns.

It'll also be capable of identifying friend or foe,  gauge distances, improve targeting, mark and track encountered enemies.

Currently, I'm able to deploy sentry bots, which scuttle off on their own, looking for monsters to shoot. I would like to be able to mount a camera on the thing, which will be viewable in a small window on your HUD. You will also be able to issue commands to it, remotely.

Anyway. What I'm looking for is a way to show the viewpoint of the sentry on my HUD.

zDoom had a feature called camera textures. I believe Doom 3 has them too, for example when you communicate with someone over a video link (AFAIK they're realtime, not prerendered videos). If you can display it on an in-game monitor, it should be trivial displaying it on your HUD; they're the same thing.

Anybody able to point me in the right direction with this? What GUI file am I looking for, and is it possible to have it display the sentry view?

0x29a

QuoteI believe Doom 3 has them too, for example when you communicate with someone over a video link (AFAIK they're realtime, not prerendered videos)

takoda  ~  src  orig  %  seek roq
./video/recycling2/cs_bert01_composite.RoQ
./video/recycling2/cs_bert02_composite.RoQ
./video/radar.RoQ
./video/admin/betruger.RoQ
./video/fireball.RoQ
./video/marscity/dropship.RoQ
./video/marscity/sarge_mission_brief.RoQ
./video/marscity/monoflyby.RoQ
./video/marscity/decom.RoQ
./video/marscity/ship.RoQ
./video/marscity/sci_team_request.RoQ
./video/hellhole/rescue.RoQ
./video/mc_underground/inv1sm.RoQ
./video/mc_underground/inv3.RoQ
./video/mc_underground/inv5sm.RoQ
./video/mc_underground/inv2sm.RoQ
./video/mc_underground/inv7sm.RoQ
./video/mc_underground/inv6sm.RoQ
./video/comm1/swann_vidphone1.RoQ
./video/comm1/swann_vidphone2.RoQ
./video/comm1/swann_vidphone3.RoQ
./video/data.roq
./video/intro/introloop.RoQ
./video/intro/introid.RoQ
./video/idlogo.roq
./video/delta1/sarge_video1.RoQ
./guis/site3/tabletroq.gui

Nope, these are just video files...

VGames

Yeah definitely not real time.
Get the latest on Perfected Doom 3 here - http://www.moddb.com/mods/perfected-doom-3-version-500

aphexjh

the gui/camera_view (not sure about the spelling) gui does this, and I believe it uses a camera view from somewhere in the map, but it is able to display on a gui in-game, real-time, so it should also work for the HUD, but I never successfully tested it, so I could be wrong.

VGames

I don't think this is possible without some source work. What you're talking about I believe is done via the map editor. If you wanted this to happen every time you released some type of drone to fight with you then changes must be made to the source. I could be wrong though.
Get the latest on Perfected Doom 3 here - http://www.moddb.com/mods/perfected-doom-3-version-500

0x29a

Yeah, security displays are real time ( alphalabs2? ).
I'm not sure about sources change, but it's probably true. I personally would go like this:
- Attach camera entity to the robot, for example to barrel bone.
- And then do some crazy magical stuff that would display picture from the camera on HUD.
Not much help, I know... But that's always a place to start

The Happy Friar

I did experiments with binding func_statics to the player for something like this once.  It was jumpy because it wasn't actually part of the HUD, just a model bound to the player.  I'd imaging that making the "tactical HUD" part of the weapon model that's always in the same location for each weapon would be ideal.  Then you could do real 3D instead of GUI 2D tricks.

EoceneMiacid

Quote from: 0x29a on June 27, 2016, 09:33:29 AM
QuoteI believe Doom 3 has them too, for example when you communicate with someone over a video link (AFAIK they're realtime, not prerendered videos)

takoda  ~  src  orig  %  seek roq
./video/recycling2/cs_bert01_composite.RoQ
./video/recycling2/cs_bert02_composite.RoQ
./video/radar.RoQ
./video/admin/betruger.RoQ
./video/fireball.RoQ
./video/marscity/dropship.RoQ
./video/marscity/sarge_mission_brief.RoQ
./video/marscity/monoflyby.RoQ
./video/marscity/decom.RoQ
./video/marscity/ship.RoQ
./video/marscity/sci_team_request.RoQ