News:

One Minute Game Review by The Happy Friar: https://ugetube.com/@OneMinteGameReviews
Also on Rumble: https://rumble.com/c/c-1115371

idTech 4 (aka Doom 3 tech) Discord Server! https://discord.gg/9wtCGHa

Main Menu

Changing Door/Mover Behavior To Ignore Corpses?

Started by spamclark15, May 17, 2016, 07:13:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spamclark15

Since I disabled corpse burnaway/removal, the corpses stay solid, which is good, but I'm wondering if there's a way to have doors and movers treat dead enemies as not solid so that they can close/move properly and not go through a loop of not being able to function properly? So if the door/mover encounters an object that is specifically a dead enemy, it will close/move anyway.

argoon

When making the AF (articulated Figure or ragdool) you can apply what is called masks to the collision primitives, this masks tell the primitives what objects they should collide with or not, to edit the AF use a text editor or better the ingame AF editor by calling on the console editAF.

About the masks i don't known if the ones used by the original game AF's are hardcoded, this means you can't edit them, if the existent ones are useful in this case or even if is easy to create new ones.

In other case you could also put a trigger in the door calling a script that detects when a AF enters it then it pushes the AF away using physics engine forces.   

spamclark15

Interesting. The last option sounds like the best, pushing them away. I have the game code so even hard-coded stuff I can change. It's more a matter of not knowing how to implement it.

The Happy Friar

Quake and Quake 2 had an option for doors to damage entities blocking the door, eventually causing them to gib & the door to work as expected.  Since corpses stay, what about if gibs stay too & each corpse can be gibbed?

oneofthe8devilz

Quote from: The Happy Friar on May 17, 2016, 11:55:00 AM
Quake and Quake 2 had an option for doors to damage entities blocking the door, eventually causing them to gib & the door to work as expected.  Since corpses stay, what about if gibs stay too & each corpse can be gibbed?

If I remember correctly the Doom3 equivalent of that door function is added as a key to the door entity via:

"crusher" "1"
I got six little friends and they all run faster than you ;)

Check out our mods at
moddb or the SPS Homepage

spamclark15

Gibbing I disabled because I felt it was happening too frequently. The game's default behavior is to do just that, to gib a corpse that's in the way, which is why I'm here trying to change the behavior to either ignore corpses (travel right through them) or to kick them out of doorways and movers where they would occlude free movement.

oneofthe8devilz

Or you could disable the gibbing of AI enemies via your weapon def files... That way the monsters would not gib by gunfire but a crushing door would still gib the dead AI bodies and clean up ...
I got six little friends and they all run faster than you ;)

Check out our mods at
moddb or the SPS Homepage

spamclark15

That leads me to another question: barrels that have exploded and gibs seem to have their own "burnaway" effect that is much more subdued than the one used for demons. Is there any way to alter this behavior? It's possible that it's in a def or script file but I haven't found it. If these behaviors are in the dll, I can change them and build a new dll, the issue being where exactly to look.