News:

One Minute Game Review by The Happy Friar: https://ugetube.com/@OneMinteGameReviews
Also on Rumble: https://rumble.com/c/c-1115371

idTech 4 (aka Doom 3 tech) Discord Server! https://discord.gg/9wtCGHa

Main Menu

Welcome to the id Tech Forums!

Started by The Happy Friar, May 19, 2014, 12:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Happy Friar

Kind of a replacement for the semi-permanent loss of Doom3World.  Still in the starting stages.  So, make a new thread and introduce yourself here.

trebor

oneofthe8devilz

Let me see if this works...

Hmm... it still won't let me create a new topic for "id Tech Forums » id Tech 4 (Doom3/Prey/Q4) » id Tech 4 Mods » Start new topic"...

I am receiving:
QuoteForbidden

You don't have permission to access /index.php on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I also did not receive an e-mail confirmation.
I got six little friends and they all run faster than you ;)

Check out our mods at
moddb or the SPS Homepage

The Happy Friar

Let me check.   I have to set the permissions manually and I setup an e-mail confirmation after you two signed up.

The Happy Friar

I can't get myself sent an e-mail so I disabled the e-mail registration.  But you're already registered so that's not the issue.
:cyberdemon:

The Happy Friar

My test account can make a new topic there, maybe it was just a glitch.

oneofthe8devilz

Eventually there is a max digits/pictures limit per post that I am breaching... I have a backup thread of the MCS Mod D3W Thread that I try to repost here but it won't let me... when I just paste the first line it lets me preview the post but if I add the entire phpbb3 thread/post code it spits out the above mentioned error...

That's the thread I try to post: http://www.scared-pixel-studios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=564
I got six little friends and they all run faster than you ;)

Check out our mods at
moddb or the SPS Homepage

Radegast

So I am finally able to log in. I have a few suggestions for this forum:

• the idea behind creating this forum was to provide an alternative to doom3world.org, right? If that is the case then id tech 4 subforum should be at the very top. Moreover, id tech 1 already has several dedicated and most importantly populated forums and tons of resources for mod developers. id tech 5 will never take off since it is currently limited to map making for RAGE and no game logic can be changed by modders (or am I wrong?). John Carmack left id and we all know Zenimax, so the possibility of id Tech 5 being open-sourced is virtually nonexistent. The new Wolfenstein can't be modded at all and there's no word about DOOM IV modding either.
  • make the forum a bit more doomish. Slightly darker theme and the site name written in the doom font is all it would take.
  • forum without a community is useless. Maybe you could negotiate with ioquake3 team to let this board reside in forum.iodoom3.org - brand name is half the success.

Radegast

I have another suggestion. Since this is a technical forum, you should install a syntax highlighter plugin.

The Happy Friar

Quote from: oneofthe8devilz on May 20, 2014, 03:57:02 PM
Eventually there is a max digits/pictures limit per post that I am breaching...

There is was a limit of 20,000.  I removed it.  Try posting again please.

Quote from: Radegast on May 20, 2014, 04:51:25 PM
the idea behind creating this forum was to provide an alternative to doom3world.org, right? If that is the case then id tech 4 subforum should be at the very top. Moreover, id tech 1 already has several dedicated and most importantly populated forums and tons of resources for mod developers. id tech 5 will never take off since it is currently limited to map making for RAGE and no game logic can be changed by modders (or am I wrong?). John Carmack left id and we all know Zenimax, so the possibility of id Tech 5 being open-sourced is virtually nonexistent. The new Wolfenstein can't be modded at all and there's no word about DOOM IV modding either.

Moving the id tech 4 to that top is a good idea.  Not sure if you or anyone else noticed, for the forum categories there's a little "-" to the right.  That will minimize the lists.  So if you never want to see id tech 1, for example, you can always have that minimized.  I, peronsally, like Q2 & D3 to mod, so I expect myself to be posting in those forums from time to time.

Quote from: Radegast on May 20, 2014, 04:51:25 PMmake the forum a bit more doomish. Slightly darker theme and the site name written in the doom font is all it would take.

Still need to learn how themes work, then I'll add some more "doom" ones.  I, personally, prefer a look like this one as it's clean and easy to read, but I have nothing against users choosing their own themes.

Quote from: Radegast on May 20, 2014, 04:51:25 PMforum without a community is useless. Maybe you could negotiate with ioquake3 team to let this board reside in forum.iodoom3.org - brand name is half the success.

There was already nothing stopping iodoom3 from getting their own forum going, thir project and forums just kind of died (compared to other D3 GPL engines).  There didn't seem to be any interest by other sites to start a new modding forum.   This forum kind of ties in to my news site (hence it's all id tech forums, not just d3), but I'd expect projects to have their own forums too.

Quote from: Radegast on May 20, 2014, 05:31:04 PM
I have another suggestion. Since this is a technical forum, you should install a syntax highlighter plugin.

Great idea, I'll get that assimilated by weeks end.   "assimilate"

The Happy Friar

I added the syntax plugin (this page has instructions on how to use it: http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3070) and added four new themes.  To change your theme click Profile - Summary - Modify Profile - Look and Layout.

The first line of that page will have the ability to change your theme.

Radegast

Friar, have you or will you contact BNA! and ask him to give you database dump from doom3world.org?

There is also the possibility of manually copying at least the best stuff from web archive, but I don't know how kosher it would be without permission.

The Happy Friar

I haven't heard from in in a bit, I could try contacting him again.

Everything on D3W was considered in the public domain/whatever the legal term is, unless someone said otherwise (IE the Grimm mod would be protected, but tutorials were "free").

I can't access most of the d3w forum on the internet archive, it only seemed to go so far.   :broken:

The Happy Friar

Hmmm... the admin stuff says that the id tech 4 forums are right after general but they still show up in the same location.  ???

Bladeghost

Hi Everyone, and Howdy, it's horrible to all that got lost on D3W and the YEARS it took to accumulate all the shared knowledge with user experiences and Especially the Tutorials. I'll drop by from time to time and chime in, perhaps a New tutorial section can be created? stickied and rebuilt. That's one thing that was most helpful about D3W, This may never replace that, but it is a start to rebuilding at least 'something. I hope everything goes well and wish everyone all the best!

Bladeghost
D3 Mod Artist