Mars City Security: "It's Done !", Releasedate and Current Build Testing

Started by oneofthe8devilz, August 22, 2015, 02:55:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oneofthe8devilz

On second thought I reconsider Friar's idea to change the ATI/AMD fix tutorial to rename the Doom3.exe to something not associated with an already existing game:

Friar, VGames, argoon, bkt, Phrozo and anyone else with an AMD/ATI gpu, could you please apply THIS fix/tutorial and tell me if it still effectively fixes most graphical issues ?

By the way the Test Candidate Dedicated Server is running through the entire weekend.
I got six little friends and they all run faster than you ;)

Check out our mods at
moddb or the SPS Homepage

romulus_ut3

Renaming the executable to anything other than DOOM3.exe will work just fine.

Phrozo

I tried the fix and that seemed to work. And as romulus said as long as the exe is something else it will work.

The Happy Friar

Quote from: Phrozo on September 06, 2015, 12:39:53 AM
I've only noticed one issue so far though and it's the plasmagun shooting aimed black squares:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B478ijnYrJu8amM0ZlZzZ2hBa0U

The link says I don't have permission to view.

If it's the same black squares I saw I only had them because of having my exe named doom3.exe.  When renaming it that didn't happen.  I think turning off the new ambient eliminated that w/o renaming the exe.

romulus_ut3

AMD's drivers will execute driver specific optimization only when it detects that an application with an existing Catalyst profile is being executed. There're certain .blb files within the driver itself that contains the list of these optimizations. Your best bet is to add a space to the executable file a la "DOOM 3.exe" or "DOOM_3.exe" and you'll be fine.

Renaming the game to any other existing game's executable may have undesired consequences. For example, if I rename the executable of Assassin's Creed Unity "ACU.exe" to "BF4.exe" it runs sluggish, and has nasty lighting glitches because it's loading Battlefield 4 specific optimizations instead of the ones meant for Unity.

Here's an old article where AMD was found to be using aggressive optimizations for Quake 3. As a workaround for the optimizations they used a hex editor to alter the "uake 3" entries within the quake 3.exe to something different, whereas simply renaming the executable would've worked too. http://m.hardocp.com/article/2001/10/23/optimizing_or_cheating_radeon_8500_drivers/#.VeyPhxxDb0E

If there's a demand, I can also provide AMD specific tweaks for DOOM 3 that gets rid of the stupid Microstuttering when VSync is on, and doesn't involve setting fixedtic to 1.

Phrozo

Quote from: The Happy Friar on September 06, 2015, 02:48:01 PM
Quote from: Phrozo on September 06, 2015, 12:39:53 AM
I've only noticed one issue so far though and it's the plasmagun shooting aimed black squares:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B478ijnYrJu8amM0ZlZzZ2hBa0U

The link says I don't have permission to view.

If it's the same black squares I saw I only had them because of having my exe named doom3.exe.  When renaming it that didn't happen.  I think turning off the new ambient eliminated that w/o renaming the exe.

Sorry, new to Google Drive. Link should work now ( hopes )

:P

The Happy Friar

Quote from: romulus_ut3 on September 06, 2015, 02:57:04 PM
Here's an old article where AMD was found to be using aggressive optimizations for Quake 3

I remember reading that when it was written.  Nvidia did the exact same thing (and still does too).