News:

One Minute Game Review by The Happy Friar: https://ugetube.com/@OneMinteGameReviews
Also on Rumble: https://rumble.com/c/c-1115371

idTech 4 (aka Doom 3 tech) Discord Server! https://discord.gg/9wtCGHa

Main Menu

A quick hello

Started by Gazz, January 18, 2016, 06:17:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gazz

I used to post on Doom3World.org back in the day and periodically test the url but without luck (obviously know its gone for good, wishful thinking)!

Looking to find out what can be done to port Classic Doom 3 mod to Doom 3 BFG and then map out John Romero's E1M8b and release it as a sort of 'directors cut' version to function with both vanilla Doom 3 and also Doom 3 BFG.

If not will hang around to refresh my memory on level creation etc... for my other future projects :)

The Happy Friar

aphexjh

Hi Gazz,
As far as porting the new Romero map (he returns >:D), it would be more of a remake than a port, but it shouldn't be too difficult. One possible workflow would be to get a big image of the layout, make a texture out of it and start the layout from the top-down, sort of like a modeling workflow. It would be a good idea to get your relative scale figured out first, so that the space feels the right size. Have fun and let us know how you progress.

Gazz

Lol I don't need any help with the mapping side of things, I was the project lead and made 3 of the levels in classic doom 3. I remember seeing happy friars posts on doom3world.org years ago and that's what prompted me to register here. I think my old d3w username was gazado. Thanks for the welcome :)

oneofthe8devilz

While recently watching Romero's new E1M8 version playthrough on youtube, I instantly wondered what a really true to the original remake of Doom would look like done in the latest state of the art engine trying to stay as close to the original as possible... IMO there is something about the art, style and sound design of the original Doom that still makes it an extraordinary experience today...

I got six little friends and they all run faster than you ;)

Check out our mods at
moddb or the SPS Homepage

The Happy Friar

It's fast & lots of constant action.  Games today can have lots of action but they lack the speed & tend to go on the "monster wave" mentality.  Not knocking that (SS games excel at that), just not the same as the "they're everywhere!" feeling as Doom and the original two Quakes.

Gazz

One of the YouTube playthoughs talks about how the levels were less constrained by reality in original Doom and more puzzle and maze-like with lots of backwards and forwards in a given level making maximum use of the environment that'd been constructed. I think this maze-like feeling is what makes Doom so different from the more reality bound games since war games became popular around the late 1990s and early 2000s.

Definitely prefer more surreal games where you have to solve abstract puzzles rather than just running down a corridor playing whack-a-mole like the majority of story led FPS games these days.