News:

One Minute Game Review by The Happy Friar: https://ugetube.com/@OneMinteGameReviews
Also on Rumble: https://rumble.com/c/c-1115371

idTech 4 (aka Doom 3 tech) Discord Server! https://discord.gg/9wtCGHa

Main Menu

Hand's viewmodel

Started by bitterman, May 06, 2018, 02:29:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bitterman

At last a nice looking hand's model (up right corner).

It includes 1842 triangles and this is overkill I think.

QuoteThe following numbers are rough guidelines based on the numbers taken from the Quake 4 models. These numbers had been generated by importing different models and using the modelling software to list the amount of triangles.

1st Person Weapon Total: 2000 - 2800
        Both Arms: 1300

Looking at UT3 I think "Perhaps this is a good solution when player see a only a weapon without hands, parts of body etc." (because it's easy for animation and modeling).

The Happy Friar

Well, with D3 it's really meant to have less poly detail & more texture detail, that might be a little bit overkill.  :)  But, make a separate shadow mesh & it might not matter much on newer systems.

bitterman

I never been heard about "shadow mesh". Perhaps you mean "collision model" (if viewmodel can collide with world)?

But hands material in weapons.mtr includes "noshadows" and "noselfshadow". Is this is not enough?

Thanks.

Snehk

Open this site and scroll down to last paragraph. You will find detailed explanation of what shadow mesh is, how it works and how to make one.

The Dark Mod Wiki

TLDR version:

Shadow mesh is a greatly simplified version of your model. As name implies, it is used for shadow calculations. To make one, apply material named: textures/common/shadow or textures/common/shadow2 to your simplified model, and hide it within the complex model.

The Happy Friar

Quote from: bitterman on May 07, 2018, 02:09:38 AM
I never been heard about "shadow mesh". Perhaps you mean "collision model" (if viewmodel can collide with world)?
But hands material in weapons.mtr includes "noshadows" and "noselfshadow". Is this is not enough?
Thanks.

You are correct, hands/vwep's don't need a shadow mesh because they're just in the players view.  It would be the 3rd person models.  A mis-thinking on my part.

bitterman

A very useful info. Thanks, guys!

As for models in PVS - they definitely interact with light (when player moves towards lights, normal maps etc). Not sure if they can take decals.

*************** upd ************

Yes, now I see.

bitterman

It's works.

Is collision mesh works same way?

The Happy Friar

Yes.  Should work the same way.  i'd suggest looking @ some of the other collision models for md5's just to be sure.

bitterman

Down to 1000 tris but don't like how it looks now.

Btw as I see textures/common/collision - it's only for ase/lwo and uses only on few objects in game.

How about collision model for md5?

The Happy Friar

Got any comparison images of the high poly vs low poly?

bitterman

Sure.

motorsep

If you use Doom 3 fork with soft shadows (shadowmapping), polycount shouldn't matter. It only matters when you use stencil shadows.

bitterman

Still 1800 and textures from cgtextures.

bitterman

4046 tris vs 2800 recommended for Q4, but looks nice for me.

Both hands (1800+1800) and pistol (446).

The Happy Friar

In Q4 I think Raven removed polys you never see to reduce the poly count.  Not sure if there's an easy way to do this or not.