News:

One Minute Game Review by The Happy Friar: https://ugetube.com/@OneMinteGameReviews
Also on Rumble: https://rumble.com/c/c-1115371

idTech 4 (aka Doom 3 tech) Discord Server! https://discord.gg/9wtCGHa

Main Menu

Growing the community

Started by BloodRayne, August 08, 2015, 02:43:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BloodRayne

Let's discuss ways to reach a wider audience with our community. I know there are many Idtech modders currently 'floating' with no real home to speak of, let's plaster links to this place everywhere you go, advertising it as an advanced/elite modding forum. Make it a bit special so we can raise the quality of posting here and perhaps get some more professionals active.

I'm pretty sick of the yes/no/i'm smarter/quicker/better than you discussions here and I'd love to see in depth tech talk about modding, without all the mud throwing.
For that we need much more posters and a more active community. I'd love to hear ideas and see you guys pull your weight in trying to grow the community.

Do not start any discussions about the current quality of posting, this thread is not to solve discussions or disputes, it's to find ways to grow the community.

BielBdeLuna

maybe the community would grow if there where improvements to the engine making it more tempting for new users? I bet doing something to improve it's capacity to create great levels fighting the perception that the engine is only geared towards closed spaces would make the engine more attractive.
having already a LOD system like the one in the dark mod we might need a way to represent a great terrain differently than having a single huge model.

BloodRayne

I was thinking of a more simpler approach, like everyone post a link here in sigs on other boards, make a post on other boards that you visit, let people know to come and visit here, the no.1 idtech modding place to be etc..etc.. :)

oneofthe8devilz

It will be tough recruiting new members with always the same usual suspects talking this engine and this page down... but there are things I personally can do, like adding links to this forum to my homepage and possibly doing the same to my idtech4 based moddb.com projects.
I got six little friends and they all run faster than you ;)

Check out our mods at
moddb or the SPS Homepage

LDAsh

This idea might potentially backfire and be ripe for abuse, but perhaps a "gallery" feature where users can vote (one vote, one user) individual images up and down the queue.  People always like to see pics than need to trudge through dozens of posts of talk.

BloodRayne

Quote from: oneofthe8devilz on August 08, 2015, 05:37:59 AM
It will be tough recruiting new members with always the same usual suspects talking this engine and this page down... but there are things I personally can do, like adding links to this forum to my homepage and possibly doing the same to my idtech4 based moddb.com projects.
It's my hope to overcrowd any negativity. ;)

motorsep

You could build community if you offer something to people, and not push your MCS mod, for example, without providing playable version. Look at Dota2, TF2, etc. (Valve's) communities and learn from it.

Probably would be wise to visit Steam's discussions for Doom 3 and post a poll about this forums. Ask what people want. I have a feeling there aren't too many people wanting to actually mod Doom 3. There are quite a few people who want to play BFG with all good mods.

There are no up-to-date tutorials for Doom 3 / RoE modding (video tutorials, since that's what seems trendy nowadays). Make quality training material to attract modders. If you find fiddling with Doom 3 assets, reverse engineering stuff and digging web archive fun, I am going to disappoint you - modern games/modders don't want to do that.

Also, you are not ready to handle community, since you will push away people who has something critical to say about DOom 3, id Tech 4 and your work. Before its end, d3w only had like 5 people, who are doing the same thing they were doing at d3w - trying to single out individuals who criticizes (rightfully, nonetheless) the subject. Hell, if you had banning power, you would ban people instantly. I am looking at you, oneofthe8devilz!

That being said, I would be nice to have active and productive modern community, where people don't pat each other on the back without a good reason.

O0

oneofthe8devilz

I wouldn't ban you motorsep, like I said previously you are a bizarre personality and I try my best to understand and if possible to integrate you into this forum... honestly.

It's just that sometimes you tend to express yourself in an ill-fated way (I still have no clue whether you do that deliberately or not)...

For example, if I were a new potential member to be recruited and I read:

Quote from: motorsep on August 08, 2015, 10:10:24 AM
I have a feeling there aren't too many people wanting to actually mod Doom 3.

There are no up-to-date tutorials for Doom 3 / RoE modding (video tutorials, since that's what seems trendy nowadays).

If you find fiddling with Doom 3 assets, reverse engineering stuff and digging web archive fun, I am going to disappoint you - modern games/modders don't want to do that.

I certainly would be demotivated to join this forum as a new modding member...

Apart from the fact that I strictly disagree with you on that topic, it simply doesn't help in any possible way recruiting new members.
I got six little friends and they all run faster than you ;)

Check out our mods at
moddb or the SPS Homepage

VGames

Here's something I want to know. Who all here is actually interested in moving their work over to BFG. Because frankly I'm kind of sick of people nagging at me about not moving my work to BFG like I owe them something. Wouldn't it be fare to have the opinion that the guys who bought BFG should have done better research on what they were buying? I'm not trying to hate on the newcomers who bought BFG but I'm tired of the subject. If u bought BFG then u screwed yourself. I don't think we'll ever see the best of the best mod's ported to BFG. Don't even know if I should have posted this here but I had to vent.

I feel better now.
Get the latest on Perfected Doom 3 here - http://www.moddb.com/mods/perfected-doom-3-version-500

argoon

BFG is indeed a good engine, it even has stereo 3D support as a bonus, but imo there's some things that need resolving before it becomes a viable replacement to vanilla, one make a easier way to make GUI's, flash is fine but there's no tutorial out there on how to make even a simple fullscreen GUI in flash work for BFG (i'm looking at you motorsep, want the rest of the modders to share? Why not be the first?), two a place online where people can see the differences in shaders, material support and scripting, if any, between BFG and Vanilla.

BloodRayne

Guys, I'm talking about growing the community, meaning:

- On other forums, link back here.
- Talk to other modders about this forum (e.g. on your IMDB pages, on IMDB threads, etc..etc...)
- Link to this page from your other gaming page profiles, and if you have it from your own website.
- Share the link on facebook pages about modding/modeling/general gaming and modding pages.
etc..etc..

VGames

Sorry I didn't mean to get off topic. I already link back here when talking to anybody about Doom 3 modding. So I'm doing my part. I've referred at least 10 times that I can think of.
Get the latest on Perfected Doom 3 here - http://www.moddb.com/mods/perfected-doom-3-version-500

The Happy Friar

Q2Cafe has occasional mapping contests & Tastyspleen hosts a bunch of servers & people post new non-mapping content there (skins, item replacements, etc).  TS also normally has a QuakeCon presence (that's how I found out about them, from Jehar back at my first QuakeCon in '05.  I've still got two servers & I could put content on them & post the addresses up top, but D3 makes it such a PITA to autodownload content I'd rather make Q2 MP content vs D3.  :)

The best way to get people here would be to have people post on moddb.com that they get their info here, if they did.  moddb.com is the "new" planet sties imho.  It's the central hub most people go to for content & news.

The Happy Friar

Checked the stats, the top refers for idtechforums are (in order):

• Google Search
  • Yandex
  • Bing
  • DoomWorld (in a thread about editing Doom 3)
  • Doom3.ru
  • Darkmod Forums
  • Hexen Mod Forums
  • moddb.com hardcore doomers group
Don't get to excited, at most a dozen refers from non-searches.

BloodRayne

I think we should bait members by creating a Doom4 modding section. I know it's going to be extremely limited, but I get the feeling we'll be getting quite a big influx of people wanting to mod Doom3 after it turns out D4 is so limited. If we can prepare for that with a dedicated section I think we can really grow the community. I'm talking banners on IMDB etc..

If we could create a Doom4 modding section explaining how to extract assets from D4 it would be a great start.

We should also create a Steam group and get active there, but I'll leave that up to you HF. :)