News:

One Minute Game Review by The Happy Friar: https://ugetube.com/@OneMinteGameReviews
Also on Rumble: https://rumble.com/c/c-1115371

idTech 4 (aka Doom 3 tech) Discord Server! https://discord.gg/9wtCGHa

Main Menu

Perception neuron MOCAP

Started by wintch, April 28, 2016, 06:29:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wintch

Just got my kit few days ago. I have 11PN package baked at kickstarter and it is working really well.
After animating everything by hand, this is a huge step forward. Also the price is really not that big, so take it into account if you're willing to animate a player for a videogame. Note that only human animation is currently supported.
It has a Unity and UE4 integration, setup is quick and wifi mode makes it a great tool.
I didn't tried it with idtech's MD5 yet, but just ask if you need any info about it

Their webpage is here
Current contest to win some kits is here

motorsep

Is it you on the video ? :)

How is the quality of the mocap? A lot of jitter? Any tools to clean it up automatically ?

wintch

No, it's not me  :) just a good video i found on youtube.
The main problem so far is calibration. You really need to stay away from any magnetic sources.
Also someone needs to help you to put every sensor on your body as the kit comes with lots of straps.
After getting everything set up correctly i would say there is no jittering at all, still you have some interpolation in the software to mitigate any issues with position tracking. You often get incorrect limits for hands and arms, feels like the body is a little bit forward than it really is. Still if you have 20 minutes or so to set it up well and 10 to disarm everything, the session will be nice and you'll have a great animated character to export and polish later if you will.

The Happy Friar

I couldn't find if there's a way to export just bhv data.  The site says it has a SDK & can work with Unity/UE, says it can stream to bhv/fbx, but didn't see anything on being able to take the data & export straight to bhv from the included software so it can be used in any 3d program.

motorsep

I wonder if it would be better to attached those to a full body suit and store whole suit in a metal cabinet. This way it's shielded from electro-magnetic sources and there is no need to have a helper to put the sensors on.

Well, having to clean up anims is a massive chore. That's why iPiSoft comes with automation package that does it for you. You'd only need to adjust limbs when there is an error in limits (twisted legs/arms/hands). If you have to remove jitter manually, good luck with that. It's cheaper to get iPi Soft then and save a ton of time and nerves :)

wintch

Quote from: The Happy Friar on April 29, 2016, 12:08:57 PM
I couldn't find if there's a way to export just bhv data.  The site says it has a SDK & can work with Unity/UE, says it can stream to bhv/fbx, but didn't see anything on being able to take the data & export straight to bhv from the included software so it can be used in any 3d program.

Yes, you have both: streaming and save capability
A good way to check that is to download the software here, open some example data and save it. I don't have my PC near, but if you want i can upload some images later.
As far as i can remember it has 3 formats: bhv, fbx and some 3dstudio thing.
I tried importing the animation into blender and it worked, had no time yet to test it well :(

wintch

Quote from: motorsep on April 29, 2016, 12:32:15 PM
I wonder if it would be better to attached those to a full body suit and store whole suit in a metal cabinet. This way it's shielded from electro-magnetic sources and there is no need to have a helper to put the sensors on.

Well, having to clean up anims is a massive chore. That's why iPiSoft comes with automation package that does it for you. You'd only need to adjust limbs when there is an error in limits (twisted legs/arms/hands). If you have to remove jitter manually, good luck with that. It's cheaper to get iPi Soft then and save a ton of time and nerves :)

Storing the whole thing as is would be nice, no doubt. What i can say about jittering is that i hadn't any issues with it so far.
You can see some examples in youtube. I really should make some technical video later, currently most of them are "WOW cool" and nothing else :)
iPiSoft is also nice, the price would be 2xkinekts+soft per year. For me it doesn't worth it. Until i try it at least

wintch

Here is export window screenshot and a test animation i did.
Note that i didn't calibrated sensors correctly :(
You have better RAW examples with AXIS software, i'm attaching this one just in case those are "professionally prepared" :)
Just import in blender and put some model on it

The Happy Friar

Cool.  I'll give it a try later.

wintch

Last day, but we entered the contest.
Here goes our video