News:

One Minute Game Review by The Happy Friar: https://ugetube.com/@OneMinteGameReviews
Also on Rumble: https://rumble.com/c/c-1115371

idTech 4 (aka Doom 3 tech) Discord Server! https://discord.gg/9wtCGHa

Main Menu

[WIP] Blackout - A Free Indie Horror Game

Started by douglas quaid, October 15, 2014, 12:54:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

douglas quaid

Hey guys,

I've had a bit of time to work on a small indie horror game recently. My plans are for a two to three level game where you play either as a private investigator or a six year old girl. I haven't fully decided as of yet, although a little girl with low height field of view would look cool in game. 

I'm considering a setting in a fictional ghost town where a string of child disappearences in an adjacent town have prompted parents to hire an investigator to check out the ghost town after rumours of some mysterious man or creature has been sighted on the outskirts.

Still a bit vague at the moment but I think you may start the game as ye olde investigator. As he makes his way down into hell to find the girl. Then maybe when you finish his mission you play a role reversal of the girl escaping hell back into daylight. If all goes well I plan for the investigator to have weapons but the girl can only use objects and hide to make her escape. It's slowly coming together and I'll keep you guys up to date on any progress.

Anyway, feedback is always welcome. Screens below :)

TOTAL RECALL - Singleplayer mod for Doom 3 starring Arnold Schwarzenegger
BLACKOUT - Free indie horror game based on the id Tech 4 engine

chimueloeldragon2011

It'd be nice to add different custom textures so that it doesn't look like a Doom 3 setting. So far, by watching these screens I would have thought it was all about a base on Mars if I haven't read the plot. Yet it still looks too Doom-ish. That doesn't mean the level design is bad at all eh! Anyways, you sure know what you have in mind ;)
I'm curious about the idea of playing as two different characters, that means different hand models, different view heights, maybe even different scripts and down to the minimal details such as footstep sounds. Would be nice to see or experience something like that in this engine.

Also, while I was reading, for some reason I thought of Heavy Rain plot-wise (You know missing children, private investigators, maybe even murders or psychopath people) I loved that game so it's actually a good thing for me.

Again, let's just see what you come up with.
FFYL

douglas quaid

QuoteIt'd be nice to add different custom textures so that it doesn't look like a Doom 3 setting.
Yeah, I'm pretty much just two and a half weeks in development. I'm using the textures as place holders so I'll know exactly what I need when the time comes.
QuoteI'm curious about the idea of playing as two different characters, that means different hand models, different view heights, maybe even different scripts and down to the minimal details such as footstep sounds.
I think it could work out very well, and could turn a three level episode into a six level game. I'm going to make use of the gravity gun code for when the child moves objects to climb into vents and triggering traps for monsters.
QuoteAlso, while I was reading, for some reason I thought of Heavy Rain plot-wise (You know missing children, private investigators, maybe even murders or psychopath people) I loved that game so it's actually a good thing for me.
This is something that I want to make use of in one of the levels, maybe the hell level. I'm getting my inspiration from movies like Se7en, Jacob's Ladder, Hellraiser, and a nightmare I had when I was in my teens.

Zombie

Hey,

Wait, you're 2.5 weeks in dev and you've lit and textured everything? That's not the best way to approach it (especially if you're looking for level designer work)

You should block out all the gameplay first, then when that is complete and is fun to play, do the art. The problem is if your layout doesn't work, you've put all that effort in to the art for no reason.

If you're showing an indie game, screenshots of levels isn't the best way to go about it, you should show movies of how the gameplay works etc, this will get more feedback.

I'm sorry if I am coming off as a bit hard, but if you want to join the games industry, it's super important to learn the correct pipeline for building levels.

bkt

Consider Zombies feedback a feather touch.

2.5 weeks in with fully textured environments that don't seem to match up to your story whatsoever.  As a Level Designer you definitely want to hold of Level part of it until you've completed the Design part.

By the sounds of things your mod is going to consist of a lot more than a couple of levels.  The higher level design decisions you make that effect the gameplay of those levels should be laid out before you create the actual levels.  Even after that and you're ready to start designing your levels, you would benefit greatly from blocking out the layout first.  A whitebox level is always easier to modify than a fully detailed environment.  If you can create a level that's fun with grey walls, then you're on the right track (here's a real world example). 

I would also suggest you do some research and/or testing into the various gameplay mechanics and features that you want to include.  There's no point going all in on a design that will never work.  Try to consider things such as:

• The resources that you're going to need to implement your designs
  • The time it would take to implement your designs
  • Who will you need to help you?  If nobody, how much more time will it take for you to do all the work
  • Will the effort you need to put into any one feature be justified by the end result?

You mentioned earlier that you're looking for work as a Level Designer in Toronto.  I've tried and haven't yet succeeded to get work there myself.  As Zombie pointed out, it's extremely competitive right now and if against nobody else, you could compare your chances against someone like me, who hasn't been successful yet.  So if there's one thing I'd suggest, which is something I've luckily done recently, it's finish a project.  The easiest way to do that is to design something you can realistically create start to finish.  Save the grandiose ideas for Design Docs and greenlight pitches once you have a team!

That's my 2c. 

I look forward to seeing what you come up with :)

Zombie

I know I haven't finished, but keep an eye on this thread.

I am writing this to help people understand how to make successful levels :)

http://idtechforums.fuzzylogicinc.com/index.php?topic=121.0

douglas quaid

Thanks for the feedback guys, it's appreciated.

The level is 50% blocked out and as you can see from the images, the lights are all over the place so, again, these are only place holders to give a certain 'feel' I'm after. I'm leaving specifics and puzzle rooms out until I've released a basic walkaround demo which should be available just before Halloween. Maybe I'll add some Doom 3 monsters for your enjoyment :)

P.S. I don't claim to be the best level designer in the world, and I don't think I mentioned wanting to become a level designer in Toronto. I live for sound and making levels is just a hobby of mine.

Zombie

My bad, I thought because you made levels that was the job you were after :)

My mistake.

Looking forward to seeing some gameplay in there. We'll be sure to give you feedback when ever you want!

douglas quaid

Hey guys, I'm back with a few more screenshots. It's getting there, I'd say by next week I'll have it all blocked out... bar the puzzle rooms.

tmm88

hey. are you looking for audio assets for your game/mod?