News:

One Minute Game Review by The Happy Friar: https://ugetube.com/@OneMinteGameReviews
Also on Rumble: https://rumble.com/c/c-1115371

idTech 4 (aka Doom 3 tech) Discord Server! https://discord.gg/9wtCGHa

Main Menu

The Evil Within

Started by douglas quaid, September 07, 2014, 09:57:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

revelator

Ah yeah the infamous ue3 texture pop in, yeah should have mentioned that as well i just didn't give it a thought with this being made with an id engine :) but there are indeed other engines with that problem (crytek also has it to some extent but not as bad as ue3). I think the reason more notice it in idtech 5 is that the detail level somehow (in a bad way) makes it stand out to much compared to the rest of the environment.

the game runs quite fine on AMD for me :)
my rig is also a bit of a monster ->

asus rampage extreme IV corei7 3820, 16 GB corsair dominator DDR3 1600MHZ, 250GB SSD system harddisk (samsung evo 840)  2x sapphire radeon R9 270X toxic edition in crossfire (pretty midrange card but factory overclocked with some huge coolers and 3 fans, the cards in crossfire easily beat a single R9 290 but you need a monster PSU :S).

Sir Blackington

Lol when I asked for computer specs, I was hoping someone had a more budget orientated build so we could get an idea of how efficient this version of idtech is compared to previous examples. Not a bunch of people with liquid nitrogen cooled I7's and gpus running on uranium that max out pretty well everything else anyways

revelator

No good sir i only use plutonium for those kinda escapades  :))

I suspect though that it would run ok even on a more everyday use PC as long as your gfx card is recent and has enough memory 1 -> 2 GB.
My old card had 1GB and was still able to run RAGE quite nicely :) allbeit with a bit lower settings.

nbohr1more

I think you need a decent CPU. I saw some grumbling about performance on John Carmack's twitter page and he basically replied "the folks who made The Evil Within rewrote the renderer to use fully dynamic lighting. I told them it would have a big performance hit." I guess the message there is you can have megatexture, dynamic light, or good performance... Pick two

revelator

Hmm yeah that might be a bit of a performance bummer  >:D
so a core i5 or similar at the least, sadly while AMD is still the king when it comes to pricing, there CPU's cant touch even the moddest intel offerings :S
i hope they get things together again some time as the market needs some healthy competition.
The new LGA 1150 models from intel are monsters even though they cant use the same ammount of ram that the old LGA2011 models could (32 GB vs 64 GB) and only support 3 way crossfire/SLI.

Sir Blackington

Just for the record, I played the demo on a amd Fx6300 and an r9 280x with no problems. Again, I ask if and exactly how the tighter fov would help performance in an atempt to try and figure out why this game seems to run as good asit does even with the realtimes lights and shadows vs wolf.
I always assumed frustrum culling was tied to the field of view, which would mean that a tighter one would give the cpu a break. Assuming I'm right, with virtual textures, would reducing the fov now reduce the gpus memory usage by a significant amount?

motorsep

Or maybe it's much simpler than that - Tango has better software developers than ID/Machine games, in their real-time rendering department,  and they made better architectural decisions in the engine thus making it run smooth on mid-range PCs ?

The Happy Friar

Quote from: Sir Blackington on November 10, 2014, 09:08:39 PM
Lol when I asked for computer specs, I was hoping someone had a more budget orientated build so we could get an idea of how efficient this version of idtech is compared to previous examples. Not a bunch of people with liquid nitrogen cooled I7's and gpus running on uranium that max out pretty well everything else anyways

Motorsep and I have near-dinosaurs.  :)  My CPU is 6 years old!  Win 8.1 did make a good performance increase in many things though.

muraqqi

Nice info. So this game is still playable with old computer. But is is scary? I can't stand scary games, heck even i can't finish the first level of Amnesia

Sir Blackington

Game definatly isn't scary like amnesia was. It doesn't have the slightest clue what tension, subtly or pacing is atm ( not done the demo yet, but so far it threw 2 out of 3 of those straight out he window) apart from that it has many grotesque scenes so just a heads up. Might get fun later on though.

Motorsep, Im sure that a studio who has put the time soley into modifing a fresh, barely touched engine would probably be able to get some performance and visual enhancements just from better, or even just other software developers. What I'm trying to learn is what can we, being end users, define as features that would help give the boost in performance and visuals that the evil within has? Identifing thoze things would be a learning experience for me and possibly someone else who is I retested in these things. If I am correct, it could also apply to many other games on the market and at the very least, it would be I interesting.

Also to you and THF, if it works, it works. Was t that long ago I my main computer had an nvidia 8400gs and I was impressed at how well etqw played considering how it looks.

revelator

Not for children but definatly not super scary, disturbing is more a word i would use about it :) and gory very very very gory.
Dead space 1 now that allmost made me shat my pants  8) dead space 2 still had some of it but dead space 3 developed to much into a shooter to really make it scary.

revelator

Also been a while since i was in the fortunate situation to have the economy for a beastly PC like the one i have now, sadly sickness made short work of my ability
to secure a stable income so im just happy i had the foresight to buy something that would probably also be useable in the years to come while i had a good job, so i keep it in best working condition cause if it breaks i would not be able to replace it  :'(.

Sir Blackington

Just found out, the evil within is using umbra 3 for culling. I was wondering when one of the other studios working under Bethesda, using an idtech engine, was going to make use of thier middleware. I guess I may have also found part of my answer to the whole performance thing. 

And to completly change the subject again, but is lightmapping with megatextures pretty much free resource wise even offline?