Difficulties finding programmers for id Tech 4 (rant)

Started by motorsep, May 15, 2015, 01:47:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

motorsep

So I tried looking around for AI programmers for Doom 3 mod (for some R&D, which later can be used with Storm Engine 2), paid and unpaid.

It sounds like current generation of programmers are lazy or something. They don't want to get their hands dirty. If it's not behavior trees and some flow charts, or some middleware where you don't need to use much of gray matter, it's not worthy of working with (referring to id Tech 4).

What makes it more sad that most of the brightest game developers / engine devs / AI devs came out of idTech / Source modding scene. And that fact is disregarded nowadays.

Just an awful state of mind we have nowadays :(

BielBdeLuna

MrC

Agree, unfortunately it seems pretty standard. I've run into this myself having offered monetary compensation for services which have been rejected outright on the grounds that the person didn't want to feel committed and generally found it best to keep the option of dropping off the planet open. The most consistent behavior I've seen is a sense of entitlement from younger people. They ask, what do YOU have of value to offer ME, what can I get from YOU for my time to get ahead of my competition in order to land my next job and sometimes money doesn't seem to be the answer because the focus is not on what they're doing NOW but what they'll be doing NEXT, on so on and so forth. So many see anything outside of typical indie solutions like UE4 or Unity as a waste of time from an opportunists perspective which goes hand in hand with any competitive industry really.

Still though, just my two cents, you've got an awesome looking project there and I hope you can find someone.

motorsep

Thanks, MrC.

Well, the funny thing is that AAA rarely use UNity, and almost none use UE4. With bunch of in-house engines brewing in the AAA studios, it's kinda silly to rely on UE4/Unity. I'd say when folks go into any of the major dev houses, they'd benefit equally from using old tech and new tech. But I guess that's the mentality of this age - C# and Unity should pave a way into game dev and it's not the case for AAA development.