News:

One Minute Game Review by The Happy Friar: https://ugetube.com/@OneMinteGameReviews
Also on Rumble: https://rumble.com/c/c-1115371

idTech 4 (aka Doom 3 tech) Discord Server! https://discord.gg/9wtCGHa

Main Menu

Anyone still creating for this?

Started by doom3xbox, July 11, 2016, 11:38:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doom3xbox

Hi,

While I wasn't able to create what I wanted when I tried last year using the Monorail map due to it requiring more than a basic script. I still wanted to produce something with existing content as I'm attempting now, so far a basic corridor with a couple of doors, one leading to a small room. The Marine will remain there, and will be able to activate a computer.

As to what the computer does, I have one idea for that. But as for some kind of event like demons loading in, either a new model imported in or just an existing demon.

I'm notsure what I could create, Doom is about horror, I'm not much of a fan. I just wanted to give something ago and complete it.

I'm going to be trying Half life 2, existing a released mod from years ago.

I noticed since Doom 4 has been released not long ago, there are going to be modders moving over to that.

motorsep

Quote from: doom3xbox on July 11, 2016, 11:38:56 AM
Hi,

While I wasn't able to create what I wanted when I tried last year using the Monorail map due to it requiring more than a basic script. I still wanted to produce something with existing content as I'm attempting now, so far a basic corridor with a couple of doors, one leading to a small room. The Marine will remain there, and will be able to activate a computer.

As to what the computer does, I have one idea for that. But as for some kind of event like demons loading in, either a new model imported in or just an existing demon.

I'm notsure what I could create, Doom is about horror, I'm not much of a fan. I just wanted to give something ago and complete it.

I'm going to be trying Half life 2, existing a released mod from years ago.

I noticed since Doom 4 has been released not long ago, there are going to be modders moving over to that.

Try SnapMap that comes with new DOOM (2016). Much easier to work with, although you don't get to add custom models. However, you can make coop missions. New DOOM has really awesome gameplay btw, not horror but pure distilled action. I dare to say it's more fun than old Doom, even though you are limited to the number of enemies you can have active on the level at once.

doom3xbox

The only system I have is a 32 bit windows xp. I recently upgraded to a Optiplex 780 this has inbuilt wifi, not 760 the seller on Amazon UK advertised it as a 760, windows 7 64bit. So it is very basic.

Web access on the old system is far too slow, with flash. But I'd prefer to use it for the old games I have. They were designed for XP.

So only games released ten years back would be playable on the newer system.

VGames

Doom 2016 is definitely more fun then original Doom 1/2. My favorite Doom ever. Hope you can play it one day.
Get the latest on Perfected Doom 3 here - http://www.moddb.com/mods/perfected-doom-3-version-500

fKd

Woah now, Doom 1 is still the best doom. But the 2016 version is damn fun. Except for the MP, that was weak at launch, i hear its getting better... but I feel like that might just be too late.

VGames

No it's definitely better to me. Going back and playing doom 1/2 even with Brutal Doom is pretty bland. It doesn't have the same feeling of aggression and fluid combat that Doom 2016 has. The MP was great to me from the get go and has gotten much better. People who put it down were mainly dumb millennial hipsters. They're never satisfied. It's very visceral and a far cry from anything else available at the moment. And snapmap is also a huge plus.

I think you're saying Doom 1/2 is still the best due to nostalgic reasons or because it has a huge modding community. But purely looking at the games themselves Doom 2016 is a better up to date experience that builds on the original formula that made Doom 1/2 so epic. For me that makes it better. Just my two cents.
Get the latest on Perfected Doom 3 here - http://www.moddb.com/mods/perfected-doom-3-version-500

The Happy Friar

Quote from: VGames on August 02, 2016, 10:04:46 PM
People who put it down were mainly dumb millennial hipsters.

I've been called one of those but I still enjoy Doom quite a bet.  Best big studio game out in several years imho.  :)

Doom is a different beast then Doom 1/2.  I don't think we'll ever see the action we had in Doom 1/2 ever again (100 imps teleporting in at the same time?!  Eek!), but the new game can be just as exciting to play.  I like them both equally.

VGames

Fair enough. You're not a millennial though. Big difference between hipsters and millennial hipsters.

Doom 1/2 didn't have 100 imps though. The original games had about as many enemies on screen at one time as the new Doom. It was mods that brought 100 imps to a battle at one time. Or at least I remember it that way. It was definitely tough but I don't recall that many enemies on screen at once in the vanilla games.

Doom 2016 is definitely the best game I've played in a very long time. Probably my favorite game ever now. The combat is just perfect to me. I wish I could record myself from a third person perspective so I can watch myself kill demons. Like a camera strapped to the back of a fly on the wall. It's got to be epic looking.

The Happy Friar

Quote from: VGames on August 03, 2016, 08:10:35 AM
Doom 1/2 didn't have 100 imps though. The original games had about as many enemies on screen at one time as the new Doom.

Try coop someone on ultra/nightmare.  It's a slaughter-fest.  :)  If you're on nightmare & have an archville in the area, it's even worse! :D  The ones that stick out in my head ATM are D2M12, D2M13, D2M08 (Tricks and Traps, had ~25 or so hellknights & a cyber in one room, plus another with ~25-30 pinky's, another with ~50 teleporting imps, in front and behind), D2M30 (if you don't finish it fast enough in nightmare it will eventually crash with to many monsters, several hundred is the limit).

Can't think of Doom 1 maps atm because last coop I played with D2.

VGames

Well yeah in coop but in the standard game it never got that bad. Doom 2016 is still more hectic to me because the enemies don't just stand still or walk towards you. They move and bob and weave as they run away or move towards you. They even fire at you as they run away. They can climb just like you and have multiple attack moves that deal different amounts of damage. They're enhanced combat system makes the game better right off the bat. Then they're numbers add to the hectic combat. Doom 2016 is the best to me hands down. Doom 1/2 lacks the brains.